Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help diagnose - Very slow Wifi speed on eFibre, Castletoy, Limerick

Options
  • 21-04-2015 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Symptoms listed below, please help to determine if the connection is OK from the eircom side.

1. Began to having issues 2-3 days ago
    2. Very slow WiFi 2.4G connection speed (< 1 Mbps, used to be 40+ Mbps ), causing unacceptable browsing experience
    3. Unstable WiFi 5G connection and speed reduced ( around 15 Mbps, used to be 90+ Mbps)
    4. Wireless CCTV cameras all working as usual.
    5. Speed test ping latency quite low, < 25 ms
    6. 2.4 G channel currently set to 6 and 5 G channel set to 149 based on recommendation from Mac Wifi Diagnose Tool
    7. Signal strength both reasonably good for both 2.4 G and 5 G Wifi: Signal > -40 dBm, Noise < -80 dBm

What I have done:
    Changed channel from 2 to 6 for the 2.4 G Wifi as I previously found channel 2 was being used by a neighbor Wifi yesterday, but this does not work

I'd like diagnosis from your side because the 5G Wifi connection speed has also been reduced so much and 5G Wifi speed should be near the maximum advised speed which is 100 Mbps. Never changed the router location or any settings except channel number and this was only seen 2-3 days ago.

Please help diagnose. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is your wired connection affected? 

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

(a) have you run " speedtest" on your e-fibre link , e-fibre can sometimes run very slow at times

(b) channel 6 is still inferred with by channel 2 as the spectrum of both overlaps, go higher up.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

Wired connection has been affected. Connection speed dropped from almost 100 Mbps to 60 Mbps.

I run the speed test on http://www.speedtest.net. 5G Wifi connection speed can easily reach 90 Mbps previously.

I moved the channel of 2.4 G Wifi further up to 12 and it seems to have resolved the problem, however, I am not convinced, because the wired connection speed did get affected, as well as the 5G Wifi. (PS: I have the only 5G Wifi access point in the estate)

If it indeed were the channel congestion issue, how do I mitigate? There can be as many as 10 neighbour 2.4 G Wifi access points at the same time and I don't want to get bothered to change my router settings every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

BoatMad wrote: »
    (a) have you run " speedtest" on your e-fibre link , e-fibre can sometimes run very slow at times

(b) channel 6 is still inferred with by channel 2 as the spectrum of both overlaps, go higher up.
    That isn't true, for 802.11G and 802.11n the bandwidth taken up by both (using -20 dB as the cutoff point) is 20 MHz. The amount of interference between the two would be minimal.

Advertisement