Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House?

Options
  • 21-04-2015 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey guys, question for you lovely people this morning.

My brother moved into a new place recently, I am thinking about moving in with him for 6-12 months as it would make my life easier.

It would mean leaving the parents house, which would result in a change of details... Do I tell the recruitment team or just leave my address as the parents?

It's just the hassle of changing address etc and I've done my vetting and don't want it to have to be redone or anything.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi there.

I don't envy you with this dilemma.

The Application Process is clear. You are required to declare any change in your personal circumstances, and this would include a change of address.

If you only intend to stay there for a short amount of time, and you are not going to tell anyone about your change of address (like banks, service providers, DVA, and so on), then it is possible to keep your current address without any problems.

If you are going to be telling other companies about your change of address, and Vetting see you're at one address upon application, and another address now, but didn't declare it, they'll automatically take the "What has he got to hide?" view, and will more than likely start sniffing around with the mindset of: "What else is he hiding?".

I can't advise you directly what to do, but I can tell you that people have moved temporarily into digs while in Garnerville, and told nobody because they knew they were going to have to move to a more fixed abode when they were stationed.

That's the long answer, the short answer that I've seen people prefer is: Only declare it if you are telling your bank, your mobile phone provider, the DVA, and so on. If you're telling no company, and no person, then most people would leave things as they are just for convenience.

I hope that helps?

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Thanks Sheild for the information.

Yeah I think there is no problem keeping my mail going to the parents house and moving in with the brother for a limited time, hopefully I get into GV in the first batch of the 2nd campaign!

So long as my official address matches what they have on the record everyone is happy eh? Not do any real harm living with my brother for a few months. I've nothing to hide but as you know its a long enough process as it and if I throw this spanner in the works, they'll maybe redo the vetting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

Hi.

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would post here.

If you move address after your vetting has cleared, do you have to be completely re-vetted? What would the circumstances be if you got offered a place on the SOTP and moved before entering Garnerville? And one more, if you moved address whilst in Garnerville?

I am waiting on the call (fingers crossed) and own a house which I am not yet living in but plan to in the near future. I have owned it whilst I was vetted. I really dont want anything to happen that would delay getting a call, over something as little as moving half a mile away! I can put it off but my girlfriend is pregnant and due in Jan so would have to notify them no later than December.

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Joe789 wrote: »
    Hi.

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would post here.

If you move address after your vetting has cleared, do you have to be completely re-vetted? What would the circumstances be if you got offered a place on the SOTP and moved before entering Garnerville? And one more, if you moved address whilst in Garnerville?

I am waiting on the call (fingers crossed) and own a house which I am not yet living in but plan to in the near future. I have owned it whilst I was vetted. I really dont want anything to happen that would delay getting a call, over something as little as moving half a mile away! I can put it off but my girlfriend is pregnant and due in Jan so would have to notify them no later than December.

Any help appreciated.

If you move prior to entering garnerville you will have to notify HR and get your vetting done again. For the sake of the job I would hold off

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and hold off for as long as possible, hopefully it is not a bad thing. I also don't want to do anything that will raise any issues down the line.

I think it's madness that at the minute I am vetted and cleared, I potentially move and they send the forms out again and do the whole process? Surely from a financial point of view on man hours etc it's a bit extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Joe789 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try and hold off for as long as possible, hopefully it is not a bad thing. I also don't want to do anything that will raise any issues down the line.

I think it's madness that at the minute I am vetted and cleared, I potentially move and they send the forms out again and do the whole process? Surely from a financial point of view on man hours etc it's a bit extreme.

I think it's mainly to do with security checking the area, but i assume there's also financial aspects to it too. From personal experience you want hi things to be as uncomplicated as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

Should this be sent in writing to HR before getting forms or should it be disclosed in vetting? Similar circumstances in future months.

Was the address on your vetting forms? I think if you move to an address which has already been vetted there is no issues with it, someone in my class done this.

If you change address legally then you'd need to get them re done. The advice SHIELD has given is top notch.

The only address in vetting was my current address I reside at. I legally own the house and pay a mortgage on it at the time of vetting. Would that have appeared? Two houses are in the same postcode.

My partner was fully disclosed on vetting forms.

From my parents house. I've just been doing a lot of work to my house and it's finally nearing completion. Silly one, do I have to declare that my partner is expecting? Lol.

To be honest I would give HR a call and ask the question, no harm in it. Also if your offered a place and go to induction weekend there is a change of circumstances form you must fill in and bring with you so that is something to consider.

If your offered a place and tell them you are moving address I think they'll just vet the address and the area right away. Person in my class who recently moved before we started Garnerville rang and told them and they called him back the same day said yeah that is fine if you are to move house. Cannot imagine there to be too many problems if your offered a place and move house... I would doubt you would lose the job offer on the back of it!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info KevBo!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

@midrand We're (hopefully) moving house a week on friday (it's only taken 18 months!) I've not really moved house before, other than moving out of my parents and into this house, but that was only 1 bedroom of stuff. We've both gone through all our clothes, and given 2 black bin bags full to charity. Will be sorting more suff for charity shops soon. Any other tips for actual packing? I'm dreading it, and I know that me and MrG will have divorce threatening arguements on the day!

Advertisement