Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 Mackerel Merge. Mod note #1

• 21-04-2015 10:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Seen somewhere yesterday on Twitter that there is mackerel being caught allready. Can't find the tweet now to see where twas. Has anyone caught any yet? I thought twas a waste of time untill at least mid june.

Mod note. Stickied. All mackeral queries here. Do not start another thread asking about mackerel. Infraction will apply.

Happy Mackerel Bashing Eveybody

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Seen somewhere yesterday on Twitter that there is mackerel being caught allready. Can't find the tweet now to see where twas. Has anyone caught any yet? I thought twas a waste of time untill at least mid june.

With this weather lately it wouldn't surprise me but I'd say it'd be on the west of Ireland if it was.
    Mackerel tend to taste Shiite early in the season and dot ask me cuz I dot know why but they don't taste as good as they do when they're caught in July /August

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Yeah it's the west id be going to if there around. I thought the southeast would see the first shoals. I might give it a shot tomorrow shur. If I get any atall I might just use them for bait.
    Jeez thats strange about them tasting different, never heard it before. Must be something got to do with what they're eating I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Mackerel tend to taste Shiite early in the season and dot ask me cuz I dot know why but they don't taste as good as they do when they're caught in July /August

indeed, they are oilier later in the summer, taste a lot better.

indeed, they are oilier later in the summer, taste a lot better.

Any idea why? Is it the heat or they're diet later in the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Any idea why? Is it the heat or they're diet later in the summer?

Could quite possibly be down to the diet and change of temperatures. During the summer they literally feast like fcuk I the sprats and fry.
    Find the baitfish and you'll find the Macks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

https://fishinginireland.info/news/sea-reports/plenty-of-mackerel-in-sligo-bay-and-some-good-charter-fishing/

Sligo Bay seeing Mackerel according to this report published yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

Plenty of good mackerel caught off Belmullet last week, must be the warm weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Robarley

2 weeks age there were sprat around the west coast,might give it a go next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Plenty of mackerel being taken off the rocks in south kerry this evening. Gannets hitting the water too by the dozen. Great sign summer's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 triusis

Any sign of mackerel in Cork area yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Nothing outside Carlingford - a few ratty fish but no sign of mackerel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭243Xpress

Plenty of mackerel off helvic head Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

Any areas recommended near tramore? Heading down there with the boat this weekend. Any help is much appreciated. Love to grab a few mackerel.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nearest reports from boats last weekend were from Cobh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Any areas recommended near tramore? Heading down there with the boat this weekend. Any help is much appreciated. Love to grab a few mackerel.

Mike

Try Helvick near Ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Was chatting to a skipper today who fishes 120 miles off the west coast and says that he is still catching mackerel and he says is extremely strange for this time of year as they are usually much closer to shore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Any joy with macks on the East coast yet? What is Dun Laoghaire like for mackerel fishing does anyone know?

Picked a few up on Saturday off Kilmore Quay. Only about a dozen or so but they were a good size. It was hard going to find them though.

They were delicious too.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Apparently it's the June bank holiday weekend (not that you would know with the weather) so I stickied this for all mackerel related questions and chat. There a mod note in the OP.

Still mackerel being taken in south Kerry both shore and boats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Thinking of having a go off the shore soon - any advice??

• Advertisement

Where are you going to be fishing Ardinn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Mid/North Wex - Maybe Kilmuckridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Managed 3 off black head this morning. Tough going to be honest.

I sent you a pm Ardinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Robarley

Managed 3 off black head this morning. Tough going to be honest.

How long were you there??

Robarley wrote: »
    How long were you there??

About an hour and a half I'd say.

About an hour and a half I'd say.

An hour and a half aint tough going ha. I often spent 7 or 8 hours chasing a trout and not even get a bite :'-(

An hour and a half aint tough going ha. I often spent 7 or 8 hours chasing a trout and not even get a bite :'-(

This is mackerel in black head. Not trout. Normally you would catch a few dozen in an hour there if they were there. I have spent enough of days fishing there to know it was tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

This is mackerel in black head. Not trout. Normally you would catch a few dozen in an hour there if they were there. I have spent enough of days fishing there to know it was tough going.

I've often went days in black head without a single bite. Last summer was especially bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Where is Black Head?

Advertisement