Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 Mackerel Merge. Mod note #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

On the Clare side of Galway bay. In the burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    I've often went days in black head without a single bite. Last summer was especially bad.

I'm of the opinion that that mackerel are always biting and if your not catching them they are not there, I wouldn't normally spend that long casting into the same spot hoping for the best. It's only down the road from me though. Agreed on last year, prefer spinning for pollock or wrasse to be honest but the auld fella likes a few mackerel now and again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

I'm of the opinion that that mackerel are always biting and if your not catching them they are not there, I wouldn't normally spend that long casting into the same spot hoping for the best. It's only down the road from me though. Agreed on last year, prefer spinning for pollock or wrasse to be honest but the auld fella likes a few mackerel now and again :rolleyes:

Loves a mackerel every now and then you mean. After making the trip down and the mackerel aren't there I'm happy enough to sit there and take in the view. For me its one of the nicest places in Ireland once its not that windy. Its also a shame to see people leave there rubbish after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Robarley

Off fishing shortly,will do an update when i come back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

fished a rock mark in kinsale yesterday evening,just three very small pollock..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Robarley wrote: »
    Off fishing shortly,will do an update when i come back!!

And the award for the longest continual fishing trip goes to ...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Loads of pollack around haven't seen any mackerel yet

Lads is it worth buying a 15 ft rod for the extra distance? will it handle the rough ground ?how much are we talking ??

haybob wrote: »
    Loads of pollack around haven't seen any mackerel yet

Lads is it worth buying a 15 ft rod for the extra distance? will it handle the rough ground ?how much are we talking ??

What rod are you thinking of? A bad rod will cost you distance.

What rod are you thinking of? A bad rod will cost you distance.

I don't know to be honest i would take a recommendation

http://www.waaoc.com/sea-rods/1318-qrauvell-compition-surf-ii-8412119294034.html

• Advertisement

I wasn't quite planning on spending that kind of money !!! I was thinking of something around a €100 plus a reel how would a 15 ft it handle rough ground ??

I wasn't quite planning on spending that kind of money !!! I was thinking of something around a €100 plus a reel how would a 15 ft it handle rough ground ??

honestly, dont bother. its a subject that requires a thread of its own.

honestly, dont bother. its a subject that requires a thread of its own.

Fair enough and thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

The Shakespeare Agility are a good rod for the price

dmc17 wrote: »
    The Shakespeare Agility are a good rod for the price

how would she handle rough ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

From another site:
    the Agility Long Surf is ideal for a range of situations, from clean to light-rough-ground fishing for everything from close range flatties to fishing at maximum range for bass, cod and rays.

The mackerel won't be on the rough ground anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's a lot more at play in managing rough ground than the rod. Indeed the length of the rod is only one of many factors rodwise. Then there's line, reel ...

dmc17 wrote: »
    From another site:

The mackerel won't be on the rough ground anyway :pac:

Yep loads and loads of macks usually and early too caught them there in MAY last year

Thanks again for the replies

There's a lot more at play in managing rough ground than the rod. Indeed the length of the rod is only one of many factors rodwise. Then there's line, reel ...

Yea i get that part of it well the reel part of it anyway way do you mean about line

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Robarley

And the award for the longest continual fishing trip goes to ...

Lol wasn't long at all,lots of sprat in Galway Bay won't be long before they come in!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

What coast is usually the first to see shoals? South East, South West or further North?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

ComfortKid wrote: »
    What coast is usually the first to see shoals? South East, South West or further North?

I read somewhere that there are different populations of mackerel, so the ones that arrive in the SE travel up the E coast, and the ones on the SW are a separate bunch. However, they always seem to turn up around Clare first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

I was out yesterday, behind Ireland's Eye. Caught more than 50 mackerel, some of the fattest I have ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Went out yesterday from Malahide caught nothing near Lambay Island moved over to Ireland's Eye caught a load of mackerel would have got more but a seal got a load of them off the line

• Registered Users Posts: 19 triusis

Went to Ballycotton yesterday, no macks, only dogfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Out of Carlingford today we caught a single mackerel between four of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Was out in kinsale on the kayak today saw macks breaking caught a few too but was after pollock so didn't really want them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I was out yesterday, behind Ireland's Eye. Caught more than 50 mackerel, some of the fattest I have ever seen!

Brilliant! Was hoping this spell of good weather would bring them out at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

Any in dun laogaire lads .??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Spent 2 hours in Galway Bay on my boat yesterday. Not a thing!

Advertisement