Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 Mackerel Merge. Mod note #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Robarley

223vmax wrote: »
    Spent 2 hours in Galway Bay on my boat yesterday. Not a thing!

Heading out today will report back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dhega2011

Is it still too early for mackerel in cork?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Fished all around Ireland's Eye today from 8am until 3pm. The water was alive with bait fish and the gannets and gulls were having a ball. However there were no fish chasing them apart from one brief moment when a small shoal showed up. I managed 5 fish on two drops and then they were gone! There was a chap in a boat about 50 yards from me and he managed just one fish for his day.

52BD651E0F9C4377B137FD9DA98EAC57-0000320339-0003770029-00750L-F9687FF9641D46748C090A40B69F4BD6.jpg

6522C130807347B9A7475E55D5C39173-0000320339-0003770028-00750L-1C0A904121A6453B886E5B2BB2776738.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fatladdy

Went to Howth yesterday for a sniff. Never saw so many sand eels in me life. Water was crystal clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Anything around Howth yet lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

I'm heading out from Howth tomorrow afternoon. I will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fatladdy

Heard there were 3 off the wall last week. A few off Balscadden also. At least they're around I suppose. So long as it's not a repeat of last year. Nothing happening in Clogherhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Anyone been around Dun Laoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

Merkin wrote: »
    Anyone been around Dun Laoghaire?

Yeh would like to know also- was going to go Friday but won't bother if nothing's been caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Yeh would like to know also- was going to go Friday but won't bother if nothing's been caught.

Well I think the nature of catching macks is that they are nowhere to be seen one day and suddenly in abundance the next so I wouldn't let it put me off! A couple of nice days should see them come closer to shore so some warm days and a little boat off shore would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Warlock45

Hey guys,quick question where abouts is the best spot for mackerel fishing in salthill in relation to the diving boards? And is there any sign of them in yet? First time fishing in Galway! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just go! Enjoy the fishing. Who knows, with mackerel, if they will be anywhere on a given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

I fished a rock mark near kinsale on tuesday evening,fishing a dropping tide,no macks,plenty of pollock about feeding on small sand eel.I got a lot more fish on a small dexter wedge type lure than my mate who was using a large enough german sprat.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

Hoping to be paddling within D. Laoighaire harbour tmro afternoon. Will post after

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

Ok,
    Still catching plenty of mackerel around Howth/ Ireland's Eye. Lots of small ones but a few really big ones too. The seal is beginning to do my head in ! Lost fish and tackle a few times to that bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Ok,
    Still catching plenty of mackerel around Howth/ Ireland's Eye. Lots of small ones but a few really big ones too. The seal is beginning to do my head in ! Lost fish and tackle a few times to that bastard!

I was going off the steps at the harbour last season got a lovely big bite, followed by a lovely flash of that seal taking my fish!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

flended12 wrote: »
    Hoping to be paddling within D. Laoighaire harbour tmro afternoon. Will post after

Will prob see you out there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Do mackerel ever head in as far as Bull Island?

Going to try Nimmos pier,salthill,barna and spiddal all in Galway tomorrow for the day and see if there are any macks around! Will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

Spent 3hrs in D.L. Today on my Kayak . Nothing. I didn't try to hard if the truth be known

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Just heading out to the rocks in Achill now! Will Report Back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Anything out Poolbeg? Going to head out lunch tomorrow.

Went fishing from the cliffs in Clare no luck early on so left and came back once the tide was almost in around 7 and had a few then.Nice size aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pollocks

Spent an hour at the guillemene in tramore this morning drew a blank, great to have it to myself for change even if I caught feck all

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wolfsshadow

looking for some advice on shore fishing for pollack and mackeral, i dont do much fishing but would like to try some shore fishing, i have a12 ft rod 100g cast wieght 18lb main line and some feathers and spoons, i',m in castlerea so probaly will look around sligo, so main questions are ;-
    is it too early in the year?
    best places around sligo ( other suggestions welcome)?
    any other advice most welcome, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

looking for some advice on shore fishing for pollack and mackeral, i dont do much fishing but would like to try some shore fishing, i have a12 ft rod 100g cast wieght 18lb main line and some feathers and spoons, i',m in castlerea so probaly will look around sligo, so main questions are ;-

The mackerel are just beginning to show now in places. Have a look in the mackerel thread for reports. There's plenty pollock around though and I find the best way to catch big ones is jelly worms similar to these. I'm not familiar with any marks around Sligo though unfortunately but I'm sure someone else can advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Multi coloured feather or black feather will get you pollack and macks if they are in they are a pile of different shiney traces that work for macks I find the gowan and bradshaw ones work well for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Jelly worms as linked above are deadly for pollock. The only problem is where the pollock are, so are rocks and kelp which wont be long snagging your gear. Personally when I target big pollock I set up prepared to lose gear but it could be frustrating for a beginner. Float fishing can be good fun too. You can get examples of how to set it up on google images and once it's set up it's a case of sit back and relax watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

For pollack, slow (VERY slow) moving jelly worms on lead heads are the killer bait - you want to run them fairly deep, down where the fish are. Don't strike, but keep winding while the pollack pluck at the worm until they take - you'll know all about it :-)

I don't know any marks in Sligo, but Donegal has loads so I suspect there's plenty. Ask wherever you buy your gear. Anywhere there are rocks over deep water with good weed coverage on the bottom should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Will a 7ft spinning rod do me for pollock fishing? Its an ugly stik salmon rod, strong enough, but would it be a bit too short?

Advertisement