Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 Mackerel Merge. Mod note #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

We brought our rods out to Poolbeg on Saturday and lots of macks were being caught. We didn't end up fishing ourselves as it was quite busy with some people who looked like they'd beat the head off you so we decided not to and will look for a quiter spot but yes, lots of macks at end of lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Warlock45

Anyone one getting macks in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

I'm in sligo city working. Anyone point me in the right direction for a bit of mackerel fishing tomorrow evening? Any help would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rover198

Anyone catching Mackerel around the Kinsale area?

• Advertisement

Nothing off black head or Fanore cliffs today!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

Rover198 wrote: »
    Anyone catching Mackerel around the Kinsale area?

I was fishing off rocks down kinsale tonight,caught two decent macks,plenty of pollock about.

Picked up a dozen or so on a drift around the Saltee Islands...went back over the same drift but they had left the building. Gave it another 45 mins but no more after that.

Good sized and deliciously tasty cooked on the bbq :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Still no joy lads? (Apart from the odd few). What time of year do they usually come in or is it completely weather dependent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Still no joy lads? (Apart from the odd few). What time of year do they usually come in or is it completely weather dependent?
    I depends on where you are. On the NE coast, it's usually mid-July that the larger numbers turn up, while on the west coast they're often around in mid-May. Of course, that changes every year - they barely turned up at all last year, while the year before was great.

I think there are suggestions that they've moved further north because the sea has gotten warmer - I caught some in the Arctic last summer, and Iceland have been slaughtering them in huge, unsustainable numbers.

• Advertisement

I have been fishing up and down the west coast for the last 10 years and find July/August to be the best time.Although they can be caught from mid May on.Personnally think they taste better later in the summer aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mihafm

Just back from clogherhead. No fish at all. Couple lads fishing from rock four hours . Try bottom fishing , feather and float. Catch one crab on mackerel strip. Maybe little bit early for mack.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Any idea why? Is it the heat or they're diet later in the summer?
    its because they spawn in spring and after spawning they feed like hell to build up their bodies again. they are at their best from august onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 19 triusis

Nothing in Ballycotton yesterday, fished Low and High tide, but seen a lot of spart, so a good sign I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

Day 1 on broad strand courtmacsherry from Kayak - zero.

Day 2 same place but a little further out 12+ in about 90mins. Tough windy conditions though

Caught seven down in west cork today at high tide, the fellah beside me caught 25-30 (was still going when I left). A few seals around but they kept away thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pogorman

Macks off Dun Laoghaire pier at high tide today ( 12:00 ) . Mostly very small with one or two bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I've heard the macks are being caught off the docks in Galway city. Hope they're still there on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

last 2 nights poolbeg, not a sight of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Nothing near Howth Harbour today. There was some for an hour or so yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I've heard the macks are being caught off the docks in Galway city. Hope they're still there on Sunday!

Any luck ?

Nothing in Clougherhead yesterday. Where are these elusive little feckers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Near Dun Laoighaire on Friday apparently :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

223vmax wrote: »
    Any luck ?

Went to Parkmore pier just outside Kinvara for an hour and half but no luck. A group of guys there caught 4 while I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Nothing near Howth Harbour today. There was some for an hour or so yesterday.

Any been caught at the cliffs? Couple of years since I fished of them

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Clogher has been dead for the last god knows how many years.

idnkph wrote: »
    Clogher has been dead for the last god knows how many years.

That's why there was no one else fishing then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

That's why there was no one else fishing then. :rolleyes:

Im afraid so. Ever since the new pier went in it was never the same, even from the concrete blocks on the outside of the pier.
    Best thing to do is head for howth or even further south or wait a few more weeks and head for north side of dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

idnkph wrote: »
    Im afraid so. Ever since the new pier went in it was never the same, even from the concrete blocks on the outside of the pier.
    Best thing to do is head for howth or even further south or wait a few more weeks and head for north side of dundalk

I was there at 05:30 Sunday morning - no fish but I was encouraged by the confidence the 6 seals had in me (they spent most of the couple of hours I was there watching my every move).

As for it being no good, that's rubbish: last year was bad everywhere, not just Clogherhead, but a couple of years ago they were around from early June until November - plenty caught all the time. The dogleg has changed the paths they seem to take, but now there are more inside the harbour and running along the channel leading straight into the harbour - when they're around, of course. I wouldn't normally expect them to be around for another 2 or 3 weeks - they normally turn up in mid-July. Basically they follow the same pattern as fishing from a boat - if they're caught in the boat, they'll be around Clogherhead. And we've caught only 1 so far this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Anybody catching any macks around Blackhead, Co. Clare?

Advertisement