Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 Mackerel Merge. Mod note #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

went out in the boat yesterday to fish for mackerel only. jigged and towed for 90min, ended up 5 miles from port....3 mackerel and one codling. never seen it so bad out in the deep at this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Warlock45

Anybody catching any macks around Blackhead, Co. Clare?

Was up there last week.Not a thing up there.Lots of seaweed in.Rocks destroyed in gear and rubbish aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Out of Carlingford today - fishing was very slow, and we caught fewer than a dozen between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

I have been fishing in West Cork the past week. There are a good few mackerel around but they are still very small. I'm catching roughly 20-30 per 2 hour trip, all of them seem to hit on the drop, not too far below the boat. Nothing being caught from the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Caught by two friends on sit on top kayaks off Mullaghmore harbour, Co Sligo, yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Any catches in galway anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Warlock45

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Any catches in galway anyone?
    Couple people I know have caught a few by the docks and heard of a couple around salthill.Going to try myself over the next day or do will report back

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Any word from Poolbeg lighthouse ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Warlock45 wrote: »
    Couple people I know have caught a few by the docks and heard of a couple around salthill.Going to try myself over the next day or do will report back

Same as. Im gonna head for the pier at bow waves at the back of the docks.

Calmness will go again in about 2 days and then sprat wont come to the shore as much. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Was out in my boat yesterday around Galway docks/Salthill. Spent from 2pm till 6.30. Caught about 35 and a few good pollock. Macks are there but in small numbers. The ones I caught were mostly small with the odd nice one. I didn't travel too far offshore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

There has been good numbers around dun laoghaire and Dalkey the last few days. Lots of sprat around.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

faigs wrote: »
    There has been good numbers around dun laoghaire and Dalkey the last few days. Lots of sprat around.

heading that way tomorrow so hope to get a few

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

I was on the bridge in Kinsale yesterday for half an hour before full tide.

Not even a bite so very quiet.

Has anyone else had better luck there lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I've a nasty feeling that this year will be the same as last. Very few around and no great sizes either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Drew a blank at Mulranny Pier in Clew Bay this morning. Caught a couple of small pollack as a consolation prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Anyone catching off the boats at bullock?
    I don't bother with the piers it can get way to crowded

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A few being caught around Howth Harbour at the moment (high tide). Not by me though! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

Tried Kinsale bridge again this evening and conditions looked much more favourable. Less of a pull, less wind etc.

Several other people were fishing as well including a few father & son couples which was nice to see.

However there were no fish caught as far as I could see. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Dun dun duuuunnn

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Anyone catching off the boats at bullock?
    I don't bother with the piers it can get way to crowded

Was there yesterday for 3 hours. Blanked
    I was on the rocks mind you. Didn't see many being caught from the boats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Robarley

few being caught @ Galway Docks not many though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

This thread is becoming very depressing. Summer will be gone before we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

ComfortKid wrote: »
    This thread is becoming very depressing. Summer will be gone before we know it.

Ah you're only coming into the mackerel season proper. August and September will see you right.

At long last! We went out of Carlingford yesterday and there were gazillions of mackerel. The idea was to fish for tope, requiring fresh mackerel - after 15 mins we had a box filled, and during the long hours of waiting for the tope (which never showed!) an y time we actually dropped feathers in, we came up with fish on every hook. Haven't seen such good mackerel fishing in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mihafm

bpmurray wrote: »
    At long last! We went out of Carlingford yesterday and there were gazillions of mackerel. The idea was to fish for tope, requiring fresh mackerel - after 15 mins we had a box filled, and during the long hours of waiting for the tope (which never showed!) an y time we actually dropped feathers in, we came up with fish on every hook. Haven't seen such good mackerel fishing in a couple of years.
    Where exactly you fishing mackerel ? I spent 5 hours Sunday in Greenore , catch nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mihafm wrote: »
    Where exactly you fishing mackerel ? I spent 5 hours Sunday in Greenore , catch nothing.

He was out in the lough in a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mihafm

He was out in the lough in a boat.

Thanks for reply . I think I one step closer to buy boat.

Mihafm wrote: »

We started by the Helly Hunter light and then moved into the Hoskyns Channel, but I suspect they were all over, outside the lough. We didn't try inside, although we could see people in Greenore as we buzzed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JimLahey

Has anyone been out to dun laoghaire recently? Is it fishing well? I might drop out during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Any around slade or hook head yet???

Advertisement