Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 Mackerel Merge. Mod note #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anything doing in Galway? Tempted to give it a go in Salthill during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

I heard reports they were being caught out in the Carraroe direction off the rocks but tried unsuccessfully. I always associated the peak times to be an hour either side of high tide but was recently told mid to late evening is best regardless of tides. Any opinion/advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just back in from a three hour stint around Clogherhead in the kayak. Not a fish to be seen! Only a couple of people on the pier and the rocks so it must be pretty bad.

Reminds me of the optimism in this thread :rolleyes: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94794067

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I was walking the prom in Galway this evening and the seagulls were going absolutely ballistic dive bombing the water. Haven't seen that behaviour since the sprats were in at the end of last summer. Might flog it for a few hours tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mihafm

Fishing last evening in greenore , catch eight good size mackerel right on high water. All fish taken on long cast 80 meter roughly. Couple lads around cast halfway , catch nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

Sprinkling of random macks in howth the other day. Had reports that they were bubbling the water. Not when I was there but ill keep going. (I won't mention a local seal robbing mackerel on a fine kayak angler)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 munuus

So far nothing in Galway :( and only random ones from blackhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Any mackerel or pollock being caught around Clare. kilkee up to blackhead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Warlock45

270WIN wrote: »

Yes they are in along the clare coast.Caught a bag of them in Kilkee for the 2 hours after low tide yesterday! Also caught two pollock which was strange for the place I was

I've caught a good few over the last week along the clare coast but they are down very deep and you've to jig the rod for a few minutes before you get them! All land based

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Glenn1999

Heading down to Dunmore East next week, does anyone know if there is any mackerel about? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

270WIN wrote: »

Caught 33 mackerel and 1 pollock last night near black head. Lots more being caught all around me also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Czhornet wrote:
    Caught 33 mackerel and 1 pollock last night near black head. Lots more being caught all around me also.

From land, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

ComfortKid wrote: »
    From land, yeah?

yes between mid 90's and 110 written on the rocks half way between black head and Ballyvaughan

• Registered Users Posts: 13 murtquig

Any been caught in wexford anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

murtquig wrote: »
    Any been caught in wexford anywhere

I was in Cahore last week and a few were being caught off the pier just after high tide. Other lads were catching flatfish off the beach using ragworm.

I saw a few being caught at Dalkey last weekend too, so they are starting to show up :).

Any other reports for Dalkey/Dublin area??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shocker95

any mackerel being caught around cork ? looking to bring the small fella out for a good days fishing

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Little video from my trip to Derrynane in Kerry last weekend. Plenty of mackerel but none of any size - just as well my pan is small :-) Nice Cod at the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 timconny

Any fish being caught in Greystones or at Slade/ Hook head yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

I was fishing off a rock mark in kinsale this morning between 7.00 - 11.00,nothing doing whatsoever,total blank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

squidly wrote: »
    I was fishing off a rock mark in kinsale this morning between 7.00 - 11.00,nothing doing whatsoever,total blank.

Was there anyone fishing down there? Was going to go down and try for a few pollack but was thinking that area would be packed with people trying for macks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

Was there anyone fishing down there? Was going to go down and try for a few pollack but was thinking that area would be packed with people trying for macks

Nope,nobody else about,spot near the old head.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Nothing in Clougherhead yesterday. Where are these elusive little feckers?

any in clogherhead or greenore? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    any in clogherhead or greenore? Thanks

Not a one . Greenore had a few a couple of weeks ago then nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Was out in cork harbour yesterday evening near roches point,none there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Is it time to panic yet lads? I was sure the shoals were usually in by late July at the latest?

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Is it time to panic yet lads? I was sure the shoals were usually in by late July at the latest?

They are in along the west coast of clare and Kerry.Also hear they are showing up in numbers on the Dublin and Wicklow coast

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Warlock45 wrote: »
    They are in along the west coast of clare and Kerry.Also hear they are showing up in numbers on the Dublin and Wicklow coast

There's no sign of them from the shore around dublin!

gumbo1 wrote: »
    There's no sign of them from the shore around dublin!

A friend of mine caught a bag of them in dun laoghaire on Thursday evening during the hour after high tide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Robarley

lots caught in Galway Docks

Advertisement