Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 Mackerel Merge. Mod note #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Mates went to bullock yesterday 2 hours on boat and well over 50 good size Macks

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Finally caught a batch this afternoon in cork harbour between fort Carlisle and roches point.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Anything around Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

AdrianR wrote: »
    Anything around Sligo?

seems to be plenty in sligo bay going by fishing ireland website

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

hiujn wrote: »
    seems to be plenty in sligo bay going by fishing ireland website

which website is that exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

which website is that exactly?

Www.fishinginireland.info

Yea sorry i can't post links yet. Comfortkid has it covered above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

Broke the drought today. 3 nice Mackerel of the bridge in Kinsale. A few more jumped off the hook. There seemed to be a thousand baby pollack around too which were great fun for my boys. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Good few being caught but small around greenore port on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Anything in Cobh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

fished a rock mark in kinsale tonight,no macks,plenty of pollock around..

Thinking of heading down to either Cork or Kilkee this week. If there is no mack to be caught, what would I use to catch a few pollack? Dont want to make a 2 hour trip and catch nothing at all.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Thinking of heading down to either Cork or Kilkee this week. If there is no mack to be caught, what would I use to catch a few pollack? Dont want to make a 2 hour trip and catch nothing at all.

I usually find german sprats,dexter wedges,krills etc best for better size pollock,jelly worms,feathers,various sand eel soft plastics are all good too.
    i usually stick to the sprats etc though,cheap enough and a bit handier to retrieve than jigging feathers etc,most of the better pollock spots are snaggy enough,so its not uncommon to lose gear,some nights are better than others:)
    the last hour and a half or so before sundown is usually best.

squidly wrote:
    I usually find german sprats,dexter wedges,krills etc best for better size pollock,jelly worms,feathers,various sand eel soft plastics are all good too. i usually stick to the sprats etc though,cheap enough and a bit handier to retrieve than jigging feathers etc,most of the better pollock spots are snaggy enough,so its not uncommon to lose gear,some nights are better than others the last hour and a half or so before sundown is usually best.

Thanks. I have plenty rubber worms there anyway, dont know what a german sprat or dexter wedge is, will get on to Google now :-)

You say an hour or 2 before sundown, so does it not matter about tide times?

I had planned on fishing just around and after high tide

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

squidly wrote: »
    I usually find german sprats,dexter wedges,krills etc best for better size pollock,jelly worms,feathers,various sand eel soft plastics are all good too.
    i usually stick to the sprats etc though,cheap enough and a bit handier to retrieve than jigging feathers etc,most of the better pollock spots are snaggy enough,so its not uncommon to lose gear,some nights are better than others:)
    the last hour and a half or so before sundown is usually best.

Is high tide better for pollock?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

ComfortKid wrote:

Black rubber minnows (6-8") fishing well the last few weeks. Use a jig head. SIZE 1/0 Hook

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I spent yesterday fishing from just off Howth Head, Balscadden and across to Ireland's Eye in the kayak. Very sporadic macks and mostly very small. Feicin seal stripped my line a few times then had the audacity to park beside me and wait for more!

Seal%20at%20Irelands%20Eye_zpsxvzyxxmj.jpg

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Thanks. I have plenty rubber worms there anyway, dont know what a german sprat or dexter wedge is, will get on to Google now :-)

You say an hour or 2 before sundown, so does it not matter about tide times?

I had planned on fishing just around and after high tide

The couple of spots i fish off rocks around kinsale have a fairly good depth of water whether the tide is in or out.
    I think dusk or dawn def seem to be better times for pollock though.
    suppose the influence of the tide on the fishing will vary from spot to spot with how much waters there etc..

kinsale tonight...no macks...pollock pollock pollock:rolleyes:

Slade is heaving with members of the travelling community and our eastern European cousins leaving with bins of them.

Encountered 2 different groups leaving carrying black plastic dust bins full of them.

Sickens my hole....

• Advertisement

TheTorment wrote: »
    Slade is heaving with members of the travelling community and our eastern European cousins leaving with bins of them.

Encountered 2 different groups leaving carrying black plastic dust bins full of them.

Sickens my hole....

Slade?

hiujn wrote: »
    Slade?

Down by Hook Head Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sickens my hole....

Mate I've seen the irish do the same. They're no different lets be honest

I took home a sack of em myself today, whats the problem with that?

People should be more worried about trawlers hoovering up thousands or millions of em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sickens my hole....

As long as someone eats them, no harm no foul when trawlers are hoovering them up by the ton.

Fair enough.
    Personally I think that its taking too many.
    My opinion and I'll respect yours.

I'll bow out of this thread now.

It is alot of fish but it's only once a year id go. Will share them out with family, they will all be ate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Mates had pictures on facebook of rod caught mackerel just off Clogherhead. Dont know exact numbers but looked like a decent day out on the boat.
    Might be moving in around the pier or the head soon or even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Got about 20 in an hour last night down towards Kinsale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Had a good conversation earlier today with an ol salty balls fisherman in Doolin. He maintains that the damage being done is the big trawlers sucking up the fish during the winter months off the coast of Ireland.

He reckons theres 15-20 years left in the Mackeral population in that area. It is the worst he has ever seen it apparently.

Today was my first time Sea fishing proper and I caught more plastic and rubbish than fish. I did catch an eel though.

I was actively fishing for Mackeral, if I got lucky maybe 5 or 6 to bring home and feed the family. Anything beyond that would be unnecessary.

Advertisement