Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 Mackerel Merge. Mod note #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

got six macks in kinsale at low tide this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

1 Mackerel caught this morning in clogherhead plenty of sprat hugging the wall and the seals are still there better signs than last week

• Registered Users Posts: 19 triusis

Just came back from ballycotton, fished the high tide at afternoon and low tide just now, not a single mackerel. Looks like there's less and less mackerel every year especially in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

I spoke to a local lad in galway one day i fished the high tide during the day with no results he told me to come back for the high tide which was due at dark and it was the best mac fishing i ever had so don't give up on it just yet the full moon is due soon and if ya can catch a late tide coming into darkness give it a go it just might encourage you to keep at it for another few years.

tightlines and goodluck

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

triusis wrote: »
    Looks like there's less and less mackerel every year especially in the south.

It's not just the South. I spent last Saturday fishing in Tullagh Bay, Donegal on the kayak and managed just two macks on one drop of the feathers. Nothing but pollock and wrasse then for the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 shocker95

Anything being caught around crosshaven area?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

In Cobh last night during high tide, around 6pm. Fished before and after nothing. A good few fishing there, most catching nothing.

Left at 7.30. 4 caught in that space of time. Average size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Just two small mackerel to show for two hours at Bertra in Clew Bay yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Just saw 2 macks being caught half way along the deep water Quay in cobh ,I'm not fishing just walking the dog. And another 3 .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

Out fishing in our small boat from Sandycove at the mouth of Kinsale harbour tonight
    45 mackerel , 20 small ones thrown back. Counted another 8 boats of various sizes out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

About 50 mackerel in under an hour off the boat at mouth of Cork harbour yesterday near the red marker buoy. The area was stuffed with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Very quiet here the last few days, I hope ye are all busy catching some mackerel

Spent most of today around Howth Head on the kayak. Not one mack to be seen. Picked up a few tiny pollock, used them as bait and caught a few doggies. Spotted lots of Dolphins or Porpoises (not sure which) swimming around me. The cliffs at Balscadden were packed but I didn't go in near enough to see if anyone was catching.

Spent most of today around Howth Head on the kayak. Not one mack to be seen. Picked up a few tiny pollock, used them as bait and caught a few doggies. Spotted lots of Dolphins or Porpoises (not sure which) swimming around me. The cliffs at Balscadden were packed but I didn't go in near enough to see if anyone was catching.

How do you manage all this on a kayak? :-)

Would it be fair to say that this has been the worst year yet for mackerel fishing?

ComfortKid wrote: »
    How do you manage all this on a kayak? :-)

Easy.......:-)
    Cork%2024_zpss4qfp1ky.jpg
    Would it be fair to say that this has been the worst year yet for mackerel fishing?

Think I'd agree with you. It has been a disaster for macks, from the furthest reaches of Kerry up to the tip of Donegal. I've fished them all this year and it has been hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Very quiet here the last few days, I hope ye are all busy catching some mackerel

I think we can write off this year for macks, very poor this year. Looks like we will have to pay for over priced cloudy eyed macks in our local fishmongers for another while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mihafm

Fishing Sunday Greenore , catch lot of mackerel. Very busy spot. People cast over heads. Never see so many fisherman's before.

That is a class set up you have there. Very brave going out on the Atlantic near cliffs on that, don't think I'd stomach it.

I caught a nice few last month in Clare. I seem to have been very lucky going by this thread

That is a class set up you have there. Very brave going out on the Atlantic near cliffs on that, don't think I'd stomach it.

It's not that bad. Short video from yesterdays session at Howth where I was entertained by Dolphins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Easy.......:-)

Think I'd agree with you. It has been a disaster for macks, from the furthest reaches of Kerry up to the tip of Donegal. I've fished them all this year and it has been hopeless.

I am so glad I didint spend to much time going out this year seeing how it was a disaster. nothing worse driving for a hour or so to catch nothing...sorry lads I,m only a fair weather angler:rolleyes: :o

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Plenty in Greenore, Louth since last Friday.

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I am so glad I didint spend to much time going out this year seeing how it was a disaster. nothing worse driving for a hour or so to catch nothing...sorry lads I,m only a fair weather angler:rolleyes: :o

Well I live an hour from the East coast so yes, it's a pain in the hole driving an hour, setting up and catching nothing. Still, it's beats the pub.....no wait.....well I'm sure it beats something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fished out of Valentia last week, first drop we had plenty for bait for the day. That said, we didn't have any bother with them for the rest of the day, other years you wouldn't get to the bottom some drops without hitting mackerel, this time we hit the bottom every time without problem. Not a great sign...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

Any around Howth lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wellmade2040

Lashed a load of them out of it this week around hook head and baginbun co Wexford ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fatladdy

Nothing in Howth the past 3 weeks. Water was very soupy. Still plenty of sprat around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sheep_dip

Anyone seeing anything around Galway? Or are we hoping the high tides next week will bring something in?

Fished a few evenings in the last few weeks in salthill with good tides, got 2 on the first evening out and nothing since. Starting to wonder if it's going to happen at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SJ.00

Hello,
    Was down in monkstown across from Cobh about 2 weeks ago. Plenty of people fishing and nothing to be caught. Is it too late now to go out and try or will I leave it till next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 goldwrap

Lashed a load of them out of it this week around hook head and baginbun co Wexford ðŸ‘

does anyone know if it is still possible to get out to baginbun head or is it completely closed off now ?

thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

Hearing Portmagee (kerry) bubbling with mackerel today

Advertisement