Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are inflatable tents worth the extra

Options
  • 21-04-2015 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi,
    Planning to buy a family tent and wondering if any one has experience with inflatable tents and if they are worth the extra money. For example Vango have two very similar tents but the inflatable tent is nearly 400 euros more.
    thanks,
    Jimmy

Vango Stanford 800 Tent

Vango CENTARA 800
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Mate of mine has one of the Vango inflatable tents and to be honest its just as easy to put up a regular tent, I dont see any benefit. no way I'd pay extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

Now that I have a few camping trips done with the Illusion 800 here's some observations...

1. Even with the oversized storage bag there is no way you're going to get the pump packed away with the tent in it.
    2. For convenience and comfort, you are going to get the footprint and carpet. Therefore, you will have to sort out a separate bag / box for toting these around.
    3. It is possible to pitch the tent on your own and not loose your sanity. Try doing that with a 8 person pole based tent!
    4. There are smaller number of components to keep track of and pack away.
    5. Rolling the tent back up and getting it back in the bag is still time consuming and doesn't get quicker the more times you do it.
    6. With the 2015 model, replacing a tube is incredibly easy.
    7. Inflating and deflating tubes is easier and faster than assembling and disassembling poles. Pegging out guylines, etc takes the same amount of time either way.

For me, the decision for going inflatable was to avoid the hassle of bent / broken poles. It was not the 10 minutes saved on pitching time.
    As for the question about the extra expense being worth it, I think the key factor comes down to who you are camping with and for how long you will be camping. If the profile is of a young family going on weekend camping trips, then I'd say definitely yes.

Advertisement