Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hold On Account

Options
  • 21-04-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi BOI,

I had a company put a hold charge on my credit card account for a Item I am returning. 

I have authorized the account to accept this charge but wondering how long is my account authorized for the company to withdraw the payment, 

I was reading online that every bank puts a time limit on how long they can charge your account in this way, just wondering whats BOI limit in this case? 

regards
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi DaraDali, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie. 

The time frame for this will depend on how the retailer has applied the transaction. 

If the company have placed a pre-authorisation for the amount on your account, this will generally fall off within 3 to 5 working days. Just to mention, a pre authorisation will not be visible Online however, will effect your available credit. 

Alternatively, if the company have processed the transaction and plan to make a refund to your account upon receipt of your return, the time frame is dependant on the retailer themselves. If this is the case, the transaction details will be visible Online. 

Should you require any further clarification on this, please feel free to submit your query via the Online Service desk or call our customer support team on 0818 251 251. 

We hope this helps and if we can assist with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Hi Elaine,

First off thanks for the unreal quick reply to post. 

Yes they said they would [font=Arial, sans-serif, Verdana]temporarily authorized[/font] my credit card for the full amount and I could not see it on my account when I checked online. 

Is it possible to for BOI to check if the pre-authorisation has fallen off?They said [font=Arial, sans-serif, Verdana]the authorization will be removed within 14 business days. and have received the item back and said that their system might still charge me accidently. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif, Verdana]regards[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, Verdana]D[/font]

Hi DaraDali, 

You are more than welcome and thanks for the kind feedback. 

There are 2 ways in which you can confirm the status of the pre-authorisation on your account. If you're registered for 365Online you can submit this query through the Online Service desk via the 'Ask a question' option while logged into your account. Just remember to submit this query under your credit card number. 

Alternatively, you can call Customer Services on 0818 251 251 and a representative will be more than happy to assist you with this. 

Once again, we hope this helps and if you need anything else just let us know. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Elaine thanks so much for your reply and great customer support. 

I think you sorted this faster than they would have if I had called Customer Services :)

I will take your advice and ask the question via the 365 portal. Ill be sure to mention your great support. 

regards
    D

We're delighted to hear this DaraDali and thanks once again for your lovely comments. 

Enjoy the rest of your day, 

Elaine 

• Advertisement
Advertisement