Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Leaving Cert still valid after doing a PLC course??

• 21-04-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

As in title. Ive done my leaving cert and got 210 CAO points and then I've done Galway Technical Institute (1 year level 5) and I'm worried about failing as I ruined my work experience module. My question is, as I still have a good enough course choice with the points I got in my LC 2014. Can I still use it to get into college or is it overwritten by the PLC? And does failing the PLC course have any negative effects on the grants etc?
    Thanks.
    TehBarbaro.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

TehBarbaro wrote: »
    As in title. Ive done my leaving cert and got 210 CAO points and then I've done Galway Technical Institute (1 year level 5) and I'm worried about failing as I ruined my work experience module. My question is, as I still have a good enough course choice with the points I got in my LC 2014. Can I still use it to get into college or is it overwritten by the PLC? And does failing the PLC course have any negative effects on the grants etc?
    Thanks.
    TehBarbaro.
    Certainly, your LC results are your LC results, they can't go out of date or get "overwritten" by any other course.

As I assume you will be applying for a course at Level 6 or higher, I can't see how it would affect any grant entitlements (as in: you are applying to undertake a L6 or higher course for the first time); I wouldn't claim to be an expert on every detail of the grant system though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Everything Randy said and...

effectively when you apply to the CAO this year with your PLC and your Leaving Cert you have two sets of points for applying for courses, so yes if your LC points are higher those are the ones that count.

However, 'ruining' your Work Experience module doesn't mean total disaster.

If you fail the WE module then you can't get the full cert and will be counting on your LC points only.

If you pass your WE module and at least 7 others (including any other compulsory modules) then your best 8 modules will be counted, whether WE is one of them or not. Just like you count your best 6 in LC.

Also PLC is Level 5 for the most part. There are very few level 6 courses around in comparison. So if you did Level 5 this year and got the grant, then you are still eligible for the grant for next year for whatever you do in college at Level 6, 7 or 8.

Advertisement