Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headaches during pregnancy

Options
  • 21-04-2015 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Not seeking medical advice, just looking for other people's experiences.
    Anyone else get headaches during pregnancy? This is my second pregnancy and the headaches are back again. I avoid a lot of food triggers I felt made things worse on the first (chocolate, cheese). I'm also making sure to drink plenty of water, not to get hungry and I try not to get too tired (easier said than done). But I feel the headaches are just persistent. I would say I have a low level headache all the time and it often gets worse in the afternoon. Then about every two weeks it seems to turns into a big migraine that is only relieved when I eventually get sick. Doctors advice is that it's the hormones and not a lot I can do and to take panadol to stop it turning into a migraine but would love to hear of any tips fellow sufferers have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Is your blood pressure being checked regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mermaidmermaid

Yup. Bloodpressure always fine.

Yup. Bloodpressure always fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

It sounds like a hormone headache, many women experience the same with their period. You're doing all the right things.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah, i got them horrendously. i

One of the things i was told to watch for was drinking too much water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I had them :( I got great relief for "Kool and Sooth forehead strips". I used to use the use the ones for kids ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Have you cut a lot of caffeine out since you got pregnant?
    When I got pregnant with my first, the midwife told me that I would need to cut down to roughly 2 cups of caffeinated tea per day. I asked about cups/mugs and she said "Oh, probably one mug".
    Four solid weeks of migraines so ferocious, all I could do was writhe in bed screaming and throwing up. I ended up increasing caffeine intake to roughly 1.5 times the recommended limit for pregnant women (but still roughly half my normal intake) and the headaches completely stopped.

This time around I've reduced slightly, taking care to cut out my "social" cups of tea, and just sticking to the ones I have regularly in a day (eg morning mug, lunchtime and teatime). I had a really bad day with Abigail two days ago with her teething, and didn't have a single cup of tea. Spent that entire night and most of the next day with a migraine and started to vomit before I realised what had happened :pac:

Thanks for all the feedback and tips. A cool facecloth got me through the other night! I have to have one cup of tea in the morning alright. Skipping that and I'm guaranteed to get a bad one.
    I haven't had a headache for 3 whole days so I'm almost giddy with the thought that maybe they are easing off. I've another 20 weeks to go so I really hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Thanks for all the feedback and tips. A cool facecloth got me through the other night! I have to have one cup of tea in the morning alright. Skipping that and I'm guaranteed to get a bad one.
    I haven't had a headache for 3 whole days so I'm almost giddy with the thought that maybe they are easing off. I've another 20 weeks to go so I really hope so!

Ah yes remember the headaches well, I'd just have them all the time for days or a week at a stretch. Was always terrified it was my blood pressure but was just my hormones keeping things interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

I had them too. Was never too sure if they were hormonal or due to cutting back on tea. Worst during 1st trimester.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Do mention it to your GP/Midwife on your next appointment. I was monitored for a minor condition in pregnancy and headaches were one of the symptoms that the condition might require attention.

Advertisement