Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my cat is skinny!

• 21-04-2015 2:27pm

My cat is very thin, and I don't know why! She is spayed, inoculated, wormed and deflead, she is just very thin. She is living with two other cats too, they are fed regularly, and there is dry food available all the time. I know she gets bored easily, when I feed her she only eats a little bit then goes off to play, and one of the other cats goes over and finishes her food. But me and my housemates feed her every time she asks for food. She's walking around like a rake at the moment! I don't know what to do. Last time she was at the vet for her injections they told me not to worry about it. Maybe I'm fretting too much?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Brancott

Is she still very young, an adolescent in human terms ?.
    I take it she's very active ?.

Nothing to be worried about so, what we think is skinny is actually normal for many animals, human's included.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Could you take some pictures and post them? If possible from the sides etc. as well.

Brancott wrote: »
    Is she still very young, an adolescent in human terms ?.
    I take it she's very active ?.

Nothing to be worried about so, what we think is skinny is actually normal for many animals, human's included.

She's about to hit her first birthday. She's a young one. And she never stops playing! I guess I'm just fretting too much. I'm a naturally skinny human myself!

Nody wrote: »
    Could you take some pictures and post them? If possible from the sides etc. as well.

She's a black cat so you wont see anything in pics, but she's not so skinny her ribs are showing. But when I pet her I can feel every bone too easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

That sounds about right, my vet said our skinny girls are actually perfect, I thought they were on the thin side, but then the older boys are big and both are a little heavy (about 5kgs) but don't look particularly fat. The girls are bit smaller and weigh in at 3.5kg and just under 4kg, they are about average cat size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Cats, like people, come in all shapes and sizes! We have a very large male cat with huge paws and big shoulders weighing in at about 7 kgs, and a tiny slight girl with the smallest paws weighing in at about 2.3 kgs, both fully grown at this stage and according to vet both with a very healthy body condition.
    If she is eating okay and active you probably have nothing to worry about, for a healthy cat you should be able to feel their ribs and, viewed from above, they should have a visible waist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

My back cat was SO skinny up until about 1 / a and a half
    Then she grew all ways and is about twice the size!
    She is still pretty active too and loves play; just seemed to have such a growth spurt and is almost like a different cat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Everyone who picks up my cat squeals and says 'oh, you can feel all his bones'

And I'm like 'yep, he's a healthy weight!'

People can have a very skewed perception of what a normal or healthy weight is these days with so many animals overweight.

Unless she has lost weight since she seen the vet then I'm sure its fine. You could try and weigh her as well and keep an eye on her weight, make sure she isn't losing? Sometimes when they change from their winter coat to summer they can look like they are slimmer.

Advertisement