Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are being upgraded to superfast fibre broadband

Options
  • 21-04-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I received a letter from Eircom saying you are upgrading all non fibre customers on my street to superfast fibre broadband.

The letter also says I need to move to a new home phone plan to avail of the upgrade: Talk Off Peak/Talk Anytime.

It also says your technicians will have completed all the upgrades on my street in 6 weeks and I will receive a final bill for my non e-fibre broadband.

The letter says moving to a new home phone plan will not affect the terms of my current Eircom contract.
    • I have been out of contract with Eircom for a long time, is it the case if I don't call my broadband will cease when the upgrade is complete?
    • Will I be tied to Eircom following the upgrade or can I move to another provider as I am not in a contract?
    • How much is the Talk Anytime plan? 
    • I have talk anytime included in my non fibre broadband, will the price be the same as I am paying now?
    [*]

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I received a letter from Eircom saying you are upgrading all non fibre customers on my street to superfast fibre broadband.

The letter also says I need to move to a new home phone plan to avail of the upgrade: Talk Off Peak/Talk Anytime.

It also says your technicians will have completed all the upgrades on my street in 6 weeks and I will receive a final bill for my non e-fibre broadband.

The letter says moving to a new home phone plan will not affect the terms of my current Eircom contract.
    • I have been out of contract with Eircom for a long time, is it the case if I don't call my broadband will cease when the upgrade is complete?

• Will I be tied to Eircom following the upgrade or can I move to another provider as I am not in a contract?

• I have talk anytime included in my non fibre broadband, will the price be the same as I am paying now?

[*]

Thanks
    [*]

Thank you for your post,

An eFibre upgrade is not compulsory for all non-eFibre customers - it's totally up to you own choice whether you would like to upgrade or not and if not your existing service will remain unaffected.

There is no charge for the upgrade in terms of connection, engineer works and equipment and free connection will indeed be available. While there is an 18 month contract for eFibre again it is no complusory to sign up to efibre. You must specifically request eFibre for an upgrade to occur.
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Your existing contract will be unaffected meaning there will be no cancellation fee of it if should you upgrade to efibre in the existing contract period.[/font]

If you would like to explore prices for eFibre or the talk anytime plans please contact eircoms sales team on WebChat here www.eircom.ie/chatnow or call sales on free phone 1800503303 however the price is usually very similar to what you would be paying presently.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

[*]

Thanks

[*]

Thank you for your post,

An eFibre upgrade is not compulsory for all non-eFibre customers - it's totally up to you own choice whether you would like to upgrade or not and if not your existing service will remain unaffected.

There is no charge for the upgrade in terms of connection, engineer works and equipment and free connection will indeed be available. While there is an 18 month contract for eFibre again it is no complusory to sign up to efibre. You must specifically request eFibre for an upgrade to occur.
    Your existing contract will be unaffected meaning there will be no cancellation fee of it if should you upgrade to efibre in the existing contract period.

If you would like to explore prices for eFibre or the talk anytime plans please contact eircoms sales team on WebChat here www.eircom.ie/chatnow or call sales on free phone 1800503303 however the price is usually very similar to what you would be paying presently.

Thanks

Al

[*]
    Thanks Alan, but the letter specifically says 'You are being upgraded', this isn't an invitation to upgrade, I've had those in the past and ignored them.

All non fibre broadband customers on my street are being upgraded.

You say there is a new 18 month contract required, there is no mention of that in the letter. The letter says ' Moving to a new home phone plan will not affect the terms of your current eircom contract, there is no mention of a new contract nor terms such as you've said.

Are you certain that if I don't make a call to move to a new home home plan, my broadband will continue as normal and I will not receive a final bill as the letter says I will when my street has been upgraded?

Thanks

[*]

Thanks

[*]

Thank you for your post,

Your existing contract will be unaffected meaning there will be no cancellation fee of it if should you upgrade to efibre in the existing contract period.

Thanks

Al

[*]
    Thanks Alan, but the letter specifically says 'You are being upgraded', this isn't an invitation to upgrade, I've had those in the past and ignored them.

All non fibre broadband customers on my street are being upgraded.

You say there is a new 18 month contract required, there is no mention of that in the letter. The letter says ' Moving to a new home phone plan will not affect the terms of your current eircom contract, there is no mention of a new contract nor terms such as you've said.

Are you certain that if I don't make a call to move to a new home home plan, my broadband will continue as normal and I will not receive a final bill as the letter says I will when my street has been upgraded?

Thanks
    [*]
    Hi rubberdungeon

I can assure you that it really is an invitation to upgrade, I am certain that you don't need to make a call to move to a new home plan and I can confidentially assure you that your normal broadband will resume. I can also assure you will not receive a final bill when efibre becomes available to sign up to.

Yes, Moving to a new home phone plan will not affect the terms of your current eircom contract - This basically means that should you be in a contract (say 4 months in to a 12 month contract) you will not incur any early cease of contract. The 18 month efibre contract is advised before a you actually sign up to efibre.

I fully appreciate your concerns on reflection of the letter however I am very sure that the information I am providing is accurate

Thanks
    Al

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If it is an "invitation" then why isn't this clearly stated in the correspondence given to the customers?

This letter sounds very misleading to put it kindly! Why is it being issued in this form? An assurance from a boards.ie rep will hardly count if/when a customer finds themselves in an 18 month contract without apparently agreeing to it?

Why are Eircom telling customers they are being upgraded in this way - from what is quoted it is demonstrably not an invitation to upgrade particularly given the statement re the final bill.
    I fully appreciate your concerns on reflection of the letter however I am very sure that the information I am providing is accurate

Thanks
    Al

But the information being provide here appears to directly contradict the correspondence issued by Eircom to the op?

Have the reps here actually checked the correspondence sent to the op and his/her neighbours before replying here? Otherwise what is the "very sure" based on?

Hi rubberdungeon

If you have any further concerns over this please feel free to PM me your contact number and I'll give you a call right away :)

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sin1981

Exact same issue!  Eircom contacted me 3 weeks ago to offer me eFibre upgrade.  I ignored it, reason being, I spent 4 months in January - April 2014 trying to get broadband into the house. I had multiple issues with customer service, being billed with no service, overcharged for no reason. By April I was about to pull my hair out!  I simply couldn't be bothered getting the eFibre, as I did not want more Eircom incompetence and hassle.

Anyhow,  they phoned me around a week later trying to get me on board with eFibre. the agent explained there were no extra charges and   I SPECIFICALLY asked if there would be any effect to the contract length by upgrading. She said no .  I decided to opt for the eFibre.
    It was installed with no issues (shock horror) 2 weeks ago.  I logged onto myEircom today to get my latest bill, and low and behold I see that my account number has changed and I am now at the start of another 18 month contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I contacted them today. dealing with them is hell, yet again.  I am due a call back as they have to check the phone call to verify whether or not the agent explained the '18 month contract' change to me on the phone.....................................
    Anyhow OP, I feel your pain.  Good luck! :-)

Sin1981 wrote: »
    Exact same issue!  Eircom contacted me 3 weeks ago to offer me eFibre upgrade.  I ignored it, reason being, I spent 4 months in January - April 2014 trying to get broadband into the house.  I had multiple issues with customer service, being billed with no service, overcharged for no reason.  By April I was about to pull my hair out!  I simply couldn't be bothered getting the eFibre, as I did not want more Eircom incompetence and hassle.

Anyhow,  they phoned me around a week later trying to get me on board with eFibre. the agent explained there were no extra charges and   I SPECIFICALLY asked if there would be any effect to the contract length by upgrading. She said no .  I decided to opt for the eFibre.
    It was installed with no issues (shock horror) 2 weeks ago.  I logged onto myEircom today to get my latest bill, and low and behold I see that my account number has changed and I am now at the start of another 18 month contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I contacted them today. dealing with them is hell, yet again.  I am due a call back as they have to check the phone call to verify whether or not the agent explained the '18 month contract' change to me on the phone.....................................
    Hi Sin1981

I'm genuinely very sorry to hear this and I agree this is not acceptable.. Can you confirm if you have been issues a reference number when advised that the call has been sent for investigation/to be listened to?

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Exact same issue!  Eircom contacted me 3 weeks ago to offer me eFibre upgrade.  I ignored it, reason being, I spent 4 months in January - April 2014 trying to get broadband into the house. I had multiple issues with customer service, being billed with no service, overcharged for no reason. By April I was about to pull my hair out!  I simply couldn't be bothered getting the eFibre, as I did not want more Eircom incompetence and hassle.

This exact same thing happened to me. They did call me back and removed the minimum 18 month contract but I feel sorry for the people that won't realise they are in a new contract or the people that won't complain about it.

It's a horribly underhand way of getting people to sign up to a long term contract

Hi Alan,
    Yes, the reference number issued was 1822826.
    If you can follow up that would be great.

Hi Alan,
    Yes, the reference number issued was 1822826.
    If you can follow up that would be great.
    Thanks very much Sin1981

I will add your urgency to the case notes and hopefully this will speed up the results of the call recording.

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,
    while you're looking into this, can you check the billing on my account?  I got a bill yesterday and seem to have an extra €15.90 on it on top of the usual €44.99.  I'm wondering if this is some charge/or splitting up of charges ahead of this new contract Eircom decided to thrust upon me.

thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Hi Alan,
    while you're looking into this, can you check the billing on my account?  I got a bill yesterday and seem to have an extra €15.90 on it on top of the usual €44.99.  I'm wondering if this is some charge/or splitting up of charges ahead of this new contract Eircom decided to thrust upon me.

thanks,
    Chances are this could be part period rental from when your new fibre service went active during a billing release.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

This is the letter I received, can you confirm it is an invitation and if I don't make contact to get efibre, nothing will change and I won't be left without internet?

Hi rubberdungeon

I can assure you that it really is an invitation to upgrade, I am certain that you don't need to make a call to move to a new home plan and I can confidentially assure you that your normal broadband will resume. I can also assure you will not receive a final bill when efibre becomes available to sign up to.

Yes, Moving to a new home phone plan will not affect the terms of your current eircom contract - This basically means that should you be in a contract (say 4 months in to a 12 month contract) you will not incur any early cease of contract. The 18 month efibre contract is advised before a you actually sign up to efibre.

Thanks
    Al
    [*]
    How can this post stand in the light of the Eircom letter posted above?  Eircom are going to find themselves in serious trouble with this type of behaviour.

On the face of it the lettter would seem to be misleading customers deliberately and breaking current contracts.

This is the letter I received, can you confirm it is an invitation and if I don't make contact to get efibre, nothing will change and I won't be left without internet?
    Hi rubberdungeon

Thanks for sharing this, I do understand the cause for concern on reflection of the wording of this letter however I can assure you that if you decide not to book an appointment for an efibre upgrade nothing will change and you certainly won't be left without Internet.

I will also provide the feedback on the wording of this letter to our marketing teams. If you have any further concerns or questions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

I can confirm that nothing will change, I got the misleading letter too which left out , that no change to a contract really means your signing a new 18 month direct debit contract.

after Alan translated it, I dumped the letter, as I told them before that I won't be changing my payment method or signing a new contract.

jos22 wrote: »
    I can confirm that nothing will change, I got the misleading letter too which left out , that no change to a contract really means your signing a new 18 month direct debit contract.

after Alan translated it, I dumped the letter, as I told them before that I won't be changing my payment method or signing a new contract.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks for sharing your experience jos22

If you have any further queries please let me know

Alan[/font]

Hi Alan,
    It's been two weeks and not a dickie bird from Eircom?!
    Do you have any information ?

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Thanks
    Apologies Sin1981

You really should have been contacted by now however I have looked in to this again and the result of investigations show that your dispute has been upheld - basically meaning that the contract will not apply should you wish to cease or move provider.

Apologies for the delays with this and if you have any further queries please let me know

Thanks
    Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for your response.   However, unsurprisingly I have not had any contact from Eircom to close the matter of my broadband contract.  I logged on to Eircom this morning to pay a bill to see that an 18 month contract started in Arpil.  Could you please look into this?  I would like all records updated with accurate information re. my contract. This is in the event (likely event), I decide to leave Eircom and have endless hassle in doing so.  

thanks a lot,
    Sinead
    Hi Alan,

Thanks
    Apologies Sin1981

You really should have been contacted by now however I have looked in to this again and the result of investigations show that your dispute has been upheld - basically meaning that the contract will not apply should you wish to cease or move provider.

Apologies for the delays with this and if you have any further queries please let me know

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Al,

Thanks for your response.   However, unsurprisingly I have not had any contact from Eircom to close the matter of my broadband contract.  I logged on to Eircom this morning to pay a bill to see that an 18 month contract started in Arpil.  Could you please look into this?  I would like all records updated with accurate information re. my contract. This is in the event (likely event), I decide to leave Eircom and have endless hassle in doing so.  

thanks a lot,
    Sinead
    Hi Alan,

Thanks
    Apologies Sin1981

Thanks
    Al
    No worries Sin1981

I will look in to this and get back to you as soon as I have further information

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Typically what Eircom do is tell you that Efibre currently isn't available to you so they'd like to upgrade you to "up to 24 meg in the meantime". That's the start of a sneaky 18 month contract. In order to get out of it, you have to tell them that you don't want the free upgrade ! It's opt out rather than opt in ! That's what happened me. Once the 18 months was up, I cancelled. I ignored all the Efibre flyers that came in the meantime. Wasn't going to get conned again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭satguy

It's fraud pure and simple, it's eircom trying to scam people into new contracts..
    That letter is so misleading, that the Garda Siochana should arrest someone from eircom for rouge practices.  

Has the letter in question been withdrawn and the customers who received it contacted by Eircom and given and apology for being mislead?

Hi Alan,

Thanks
    Apologies Sin1981

Thanks
    Al
    Will this be confirmed to the customer in writing?  A commitment on boards.ie will hardly carry much weight in six months time if the customer decides to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MartynasUr

Just got a letter myself, called the number and asked if it will put me on new contract. The women assured me that i won't be put on a new contract so i went with it. So i googled and found this topic and now im not sure what to do. I called again and asked if i was put on a new contract, the girl said that my contract was going to exoire this month and that this upgrade did not put me on a new contract and i can cancel without charge whenever i want.

The letter was the same like the one other people got
    'there is no charge for this upgrade and it will not affect the terms of your existing broadband contract'
    I think this is the part where they try to scam you, but at the end of the letter it says

'please note that when your home has been connected to efibre, you will receive a final bill from your previous service a few days later. You will then start a new bill witg eFibre. Dont worry your current contract tern will not be affected'

If this puts me on new contract this must be the biggest scam ever, also i got this letter the same month ny contract was going to expire, coincidence?

Edit: so i called again because i didnt get the correct new account number, also asked for her to check if i was on a new contract, she said that what they put me on is called a rolling contract and that it is basicly month to month contract (no 18month term)
    I also told about the situation in boards forum

Can a eircom rep check if i was actually out on a new contract (just reply and ill give you the details by pm)

Edit 2: at the end of the upgrade call the girl said exactly this 'as youre aware this is a contract free upgrade, any term left from previous will be carrird over to your new account'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

MartynasUr wrote: »
    Just got a letter myself,  called the number and asked if it will put me on new contract. The women assured me that i won't be put on a new contract so i went with it. So i googled and found this topic and now im not sure what to do.  I called again and asked if i was put on a new contract,  the girl said that my contract was going to exoire this month and that this upgrade did not put me on a new contract and i can cancel without charge whenever i want.

The letter was the same like the one other people got
    'there is no charge for this upgrade and it will not affect the terms of your existing broadband contract'
    I think this is the part where they try to scam you, but at the end of the letter it says

'please note that when your home has been connected to efibre,  you will receive a final bill from your previous service a few days later. You will then start a new bill witg eFibre.  Dont worry your current contract tern will not be affected'

If this puts me on new contract this must be the biggest scam ever,  also i got this letter the same month ny contract was  going to expire,  coincidence?

Edit: so i called again because i didnt get the correct new account number,  also asked for her to check if i was on a new contract, she said that what they put me on is called a rolling contract and that it is basicly month to month contract (no 18month term)
    I also told about the situation in boards forum

Can a eircom rep check if i was actually out on a new contract (just reply and ill give you the details by pm)

Edit 2:  at the end of the upgrade call the girl said exactly this 'as youre aware this is a contract free upgrade, any term left from previous will be carrird over to your new account'
    so your being Told that there is no 18 month contract, what about direct debit ?
    Odd as the Rep here informed people that 18 months contract is an a requirement

dub45 wrote: »
    Will this be confirmed to the customer in writing?  A commitment on boards.ie will hardly carry much weight in six months time if the customer decides to move on.

So, i talked to numerous eircom reps in the phone and their livechat.
    This promotion seem to actually exist and youre NOT put on a new contract. When signin up you HAVE TO make sure to tell them exactly that this is CONTRACT FREE upgrade and make sure that they confirm this.

When i was talking with the person online he said thsat 'there is a NOTE' added to my account which says that it was contract free upgrade and there is no 18month term.
    Now i do not know what will that note will actually mean when for example if i wanted to cancel ny service, but all the reps i talked with said that i am not on a nee contract.

For people that thinking of upgrading all i can say is that this is very SKETCHY thing eircom is doing, they will also try and sell you other services with the upgrade.

Also can an eircom rep contact me here or pm and ill give you my account details for you to check whats the situatiuon.

jos22 wrote: »
    so your being Told that there is no 18 month contract, what about direct debit ?
    Odd as the Rep here informed people that 18 months contract is an a requirement

Any rep will say to you that 18month contract is applied to an upgrade (this is for standart upgrade) . The letter i got said that there is no new contract, when i called i told the girl about the letter and asked if there is going to be new contract, she said no. This upgrade probably applies to only the people thst get the letter.

They did not ask for direct debit and i currently did not have direct debit set up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

MartynasUr wrote: »
    dub45 wrote: »

So, i talked to numerous eircom reps in the phone and their livechat.
    This promotion seem to actually exist and youre NOT put on a new contract. When signin up you HAVE TO make sure to tell them exactly that this is CONTRACT FREE upgrade and make sure that they confirm this.

When i was talking with the person online he said thsat 'there is a NOTE' added to my account which says that it was contract free upgrade and there is no 18month term.
    Now i do not know what will that note  will actually mean when for example if i wanted to cancel ny service, but all the reps i talked with said that  i am not on a nee contract.

For people that thinking of upgrading all i can say is that this is very SKETCHY thing eircom is doing,  they will also try and sell you other services with the upgrade.

Also can an eircom rep contact me here or pm and ill give you my account details for you to check whats the situatiuon.

Hi [font=Calibri","sans-serif]MartynasUr[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Would you like to PM me your account details & I will have a look into this for you.[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Tony[/font]

Advertisement