Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl apples from 2kg bag tastes like honey and lemon

Options
  • 21-04-2015 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

I've been buying these 2kg bags of apples from lidl for a while now and lately started noticing that some of them taste like honey and lemon.
    These are red apples and are very juicy and tasty.
    Does anyone know the exact variety of the apples there?
    Just wanted to say that I've been buying these since late 2014, and only lately they started tasting like this, so it's ether the weather that is making them taste like this, or they have changed the variety they pack into them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Price are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

vicwatson wrote: »
    Price are they?

Can't honestly tell your right now. I started buying them because they were reasonable price and looked healthy all the time.
    I've checked the package numerous times, but it doesn't state the variety anywhere.
    They plainly call them red apples :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ok, just that I've big bags in Lidl for 3.99 and was wondering if it was them perhaps.

Mystery solved :D
    The variety is called Braeburn

Edit: can't find anything on them tasting like honey and lemon, so I'm suspecting that the lemon taste could be coming from the lemons in the fruit tray. Honey taste could be associated with nectar taste in the apples?

Not trying to turn it into my apple blogging thread, but I just had one which was fresh out of the bag, and it again tasted like honey and lemon :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's not an apple I'd eat on its own, I prefer a Pink Lady or Granny Smith.
    According to the link below:

"A unique combination of sweet and tart flavour, great in pies, salads and sauces. Medium to large in size.
    Originating in New Zealand in 1952, Braeburn is thought to be a cross between a Lady Hamilton and Australia’s own Granny Smith. The Braeburn skin has a red blush and stripes over a yellow background. A crisp, juicy apple, it has a cream-coloured flesh and a unique flavour that combines sweetness and tartness"

http://apal.org.au/consumers/apple-varieties/#sthash.VEvhKtAj.dpuf

It's not an apple I'd eat on its own, I prefer a Pink Lady or Granny Smith.
    According to the link below:

"A unique combination of sweet and tart flavour, great in pies, salads and sauces. Medium to large in size.
    Originating in New Zealand in 1952, Braeburn is thought to be a cross between a Lady Hamilton and Australia’s own Granny Smith. The Braeburn skin has a red blush and stripes over a yellow background. A crisp, juicy apple, it has a cream-coloured flesh and a unique flavour that combines sweetness and tartness"

http://apal.org.au/consumers/apple-varieties/#sthash.VEvhKtAj.dpuf

This explains it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Advertisement