Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 - Long Range Forecasts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

mitresize5 wrote: »
    A wet and windy May fills the barn with corn and hay.

You heard it here first ..... its going to be a scorching summer.

Heard that one from some of my older relatives, hope its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

A wet and windy may

Keeps the heat a bay

The same cold every day

For heating you must pay

NO sunshine not a ray

IRELAND says yes to gay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

pauldry wrote:
    IRELAND says yes to gay

This sh*t is even taking over the weather forum now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Lumi wrote: »
    The Netweather long-range forecast up to July is available here

May - wetter than average, temps close to or slightly warmer than average
    June - warmer than average, rainfall close to normal
    July - wetter than average

Take this with the usual great big pinch of salt :pac:

May temperatures above average ciuldnt have been more wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heard from the local gossip today that the "new Zealand fella" is after "changing his mind" and now august will be a lovely month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

July is looking pretty good on my accuweather app. Was not expecting yesterday..starting to think I might give up on any predictions, expect the worst and just enjoy any sunny days that come along :)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

lolo62 wrote: »
    July is looking pretty good on my accuweather app. Was not expecting yesterday..starting to think I might give up on any predictions, expect the worst and just enjoy any sunny days that come along :)
    you're probably right feck it enjoy it while we get it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Here we go - the most famous of all long range forecasters has spoken! :)

From Irish Times -

Donegal postman Michael Gallagher is saying all signs indicate we have a very good summer ahead.

Mr Gallagher, who has developed his weather forecasting expertise during his more than 40 years of working as postman, says a cold May is a strong indicator of a nice summer. His predictions are based on the behaviour of the Donegal wildlife, he says.

“Nature and animals are very knowledgeable, they know what’s going to happen with the weather,” said Mr Gallagher. “They have an instinct which we as human beings don’t have.”

He says sheep and cattle tend to retreat down the mountains in search of shelter when a cold snap is on the way. He added that the cry of the curlew bird is a traditional sign that rain is on the cards.

With no curlews audible and livestock exploring the upper plains of the Donegal hills, it looks like the good weather is here to stay, he says.

However, he warns that hot weather will inevitably bring heavy downpours and plenty of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

you're probably right feck it enjoy it while we get it:)

Ok so that idea lasted about a day. Problem is now I'm enjoying the sunshine, the niggling fear it might go away again has crept in...in an ideal world one doesn't rely on external things to gain ones happiness, but I'm pretty sure whoever came to that conclusion was not Irish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

delahuntv wrote: »
    it looks like the good weather is here to stay, he says.

However, he warns that hot weather will inevitably bring heavy downpours and plenty of thunder.[/B]

Bit like Mystic Meg - covering all the angles :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why a "quality" paper like the Irish Times gives that spoofer coverage is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think we are about to get some pay back for the last 2 months of grimness. Tonights ECM is a cracker with the country spending at least 10 days from Monday bathed in TM air giving temps into the 20's for nearly all(bar some coastal areas in the W and S at times). In fact its been many many years since we've seen a set up like this ie. the last 2 summer heat was more home grown under static HP centres with the odd bit of warm air coming in off the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sorry, couldn't resist. :o

351919.jpg

;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That idiot from up here gets press time every year.
    Can't blame the idiot himself, people keep asking him for his opinion.

I wish they'd stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

From Irish Times -

Donegal postman Michael Gallagher is saying all signs indicate we have a very good summer ahead.

Mr Gallagher, who has developed his weather forecasting expertise during his more than 40 years of working as postman, says a cold May is a strong indicator of a nice summer. His predictions are based on the behaviour of the Donegal wildlife, he says.

“Nature and animals are very knowledgeable, they know what’s going to happen with the weather,” said Mr Gallagher. “They have an instinct which we as human beings don’t have.”

He says sheep and cattle tend to retreat down the mountains in search of shelter when a cold snap is on the way. He added that the cry of the curlew bird is a traditional sign that rain is on the cards.

With no curlews audible and livestock exploring the upper plains of the Donegal hills, it looks like the good weather is here to stay, he says.

However, he warns that hot weather will inevitably bring heavy downpours and plenty of thunder.

That must be why hill sheep get stuck in snow. The call of a Curlew depends on when it mates & nests. I believe that they were early this year so they won't be calling now.

My local nursery hate this man. He once warned of a bad Winter & no one would buy plants. The nursery got stuck with lots of unsold stock. It turned out to be a mild Winter & would of been perfect for planting :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Discodog wrote: »
    That must be why hill sheep get stuck in snow. The call of a Curlew depends on when it mates & nests. I believe that they were early this year so they won't be calling now.

My local nursery hate this man. He once warned of a bad Winter & no one would buy plants. The nursery got stuck with lots of unsold stock. It turned out to be a mild Winter & would of been perfect for planting :mad:

The plant nursery should sue them. I'd love to see these quacks, and the tabloids that give them a platform, get their comeuppance.

The plant nursery should sue them. I'd love to see these quacks, and the tabloids that give them a platform, get their comeuppance.

Why be afraid of free speech?

If I want to say God told me July will be a washout then let nobody try to stop me - I am not responsible if idiots choose to believe me :mad:

And, btw, He did tell me July will be a washout....:cool:

Why be afraid of free speech?

If I want to say God told me July will be a washout then let nobody try to stop me - I am not responsible if idiots choose to believe me

And, btw, He did tell me July will be a washout....

I'm all for free speech and I wish we had it guaranteed in our constitution, like they do in America. What gave you the impression that I'm against it?

These people are scaremongering with pseudo-scientific nonsense and they are consistently inaccurate, so someone should be held liable for the damages they cost. I'm not asking for them to go to prison or anything, just to pay for the losses they cost businesses with their nonsense.

If you're looking for people against free speech, go visit the PC Brigade in After Hours.

I'm all for free speech and I wish we had it guaranteed in our constitution, like they do in America. What gave you the impression that I'm against it?

These people are scaremongering with pseudo-scientific nonsense and they are consistently inaccurate, so someone should be held liable for the damages they cost. I'm not asking for them to go to prison or anything, just to pay for the losses they cost businesses with their nonsense.

I wouldn't keep company with PC folk - calling for censorship is saying you've lost the debate.

I guess the notion of ordinary Joes making inaccurate weather forecasts paying for the consequences of other folk acting on them is as clear an attack on free speech as I can imagine!

I'd prefer Mystic Meg or Pat the Postman to a bunch of lawyers any day, especially in the context of what certain billionaires are doing in Ireland to clamp down on free speech.

But that is a very different issue to long term forecasts!

I'm going to change my name to Infallible Forecaster and predict that anyone shopping in Tesco next week will cause the wettest and coldest July since 1816.

Sue me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

From Irish Times -

That went well didn't it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] From Irish Times -

Donegal postman Michael Gallagher is saying all signs indicate we have a very good summer ahead. [...]

Sorry to say - one device indicates opposite:

356556.gif

Please forgive me, couldn't resist. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

joujoujou wrote: »
    Sorry to say - one device indicates opposite:

356556.gif

Please forgive me, couldn't resist. :o

How come the paper never goes back to him and asks the question "What the hell happened to our summer Michael"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Storm 10 wrote: »
    How come the paper never goes back to him and asks the question "What the hell happened to our summer Michael"

I heard someone on here mention last week that he said were due a good August!
    WAshout so

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

He should really stick to delivering the post, end of

I wouldn't keep company with PC folk - calling for censorship is saying you've lost the debate.

I guess the notion of ordinary Joes making inaccurate weather forecasts paying for the consequences of other folk acting on them is as clear an attack on free speech as I can imagine!

I'd prefer Mystic Meg or Pat the Postman to a bunch of lawyers any day, especially in the context of what certain billionaires are doing in Ireland to clamp down on free speech.

But that is a very different issue to long term forecasts!

I'm going to change my name to Infallible Forecaster and predict that anyone shopping in Tesco next week will cause the wettest and coldest July since 1816.

Sue me! :D

I think your problem is you're incapable of distinguishing the difference between censoring and suing - they are not the same thing. Unlike what happened to Ken Ring in New Zealand, I'm not advocating that the quacks should be censored, just that they and the tabloid newspapers are held financially responsible for the damage they've done to businesses with their pseudo-scientific weather forecasts. They can continue with their weather forecasts all they want, they just better be careful or else it cost them.

They can continue with their weather forecasts all they want, they just better be careful or else it cost them.

Sounds like censorship to me. Protecting idiots from the consequences of their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

* cancels trip to Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

at this rate guys predict a cold wet summer and youll be right mostly

rest of august - cool and unsettled short warm spells
    september - the same
    october - 50 degrees
    farenheit!

2015 will be the coldest year for at least 50 in Ireland even though ROW will have warmest on record! I think 1958 is the last year as cold as 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

pauldry wrote: »
    2015 will be the coldest year for at least 50 in Ireland even though ROW will have warmest on record! I think 1958 is the last year as cold as 2015

Its Creepy.

Here in Seattle, where we normally have a climate very similar to Ireland, we've broken the record for days over 30 this year. The nights of the bedroom being 25 degs are getting wearying. Fans everywhere. Water spritzers in the fridge.

No rain for...2 months? There was a day of drizzle a few weeks ago. There's massive fires in the mountains around the city too.

And this is the second year like this. Practically no cold weather at all this winter, I can remember maybe five or six frosty mornings. total.

Advertisement