Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on where to get a MacBook Pro motherboard issue fixed

• 21-04-2015 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

So, about a month ago I bought a secondhand late 2011 MacBook Pro. Not the wisest of decisions I understand, but I was attempting to quickly replace the one I had stolen on me. I bought it knowing there was a small issue with the motherboard that was preventing the machine from going into sleep mode - instead, you would have to turn on the NoSleep app and lower all lights, or restart the computer after each use by holding down the power button for 6 seconds. I've since taken the laptop to E-Tech in Dundrum, where I was told the issue would be solved in a matter of days. I left the laptop with them for over 2 weeks, and was told the problem cannot be fixed by them. The laptop is now showing up as not having a battery and the original problem continues.

Of course going to CompuB is an obvious option, but I would rather pay a little less than a couple of limbs to fix the problem. I've already had one laptop stolen, I can't afford to lose another. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Stevie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I've learned that when it comes to electronics repairs, even more so with Apple devices, it's best to go to a certified repair shop, so CompuB or another Apple certified repair shop really would be your best option. The non certified ones always tend to either not fix the issue, make it even worse or break something else in the process, or a combination of all 3. Motherboard issues also tend to be very hard to deal with, if not impossible. If I were you, I'd bring it into CompuB, see how much it'll cost you, and if you can't afford that, write up the laptop as a loss, unfortunately, Apple devices are intentionally made hard to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've learned that when it comes to electronics repairs, even more so with Apple devices, it's best to go to a certified repair shop, so CompuB or another Apple certified repair shop really would be your best option. The non certified ones always tend to either not fix the issue, make it even worse or break something else in the process, or a combination of all 3. Motherboard issues also tend to be very hard to deal with, if not impossible. If I were you, I'd bring it into CompuB, see how much it'll cost you, and if you can't afford that, write up the laptop as a loss, unfortunately, Apple devices are intentionally made hard to repair.

Older MBP models can be repaired by anyone with half a brain TBH :rolleyes:

Bring it to CompuB or get a new motherboard off eBay.

If you're going the DIY route, iFixit guides are here: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro

Just make sure you know what model you have.

A simple repair tool kit (e.g. this) with Torx screwdrivers to open up it up is needed too.

Also, invest in a Kensington lock so you can secure your laptop.

Advertisement