Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unemployed-Become a Barista?

• 21-04-2015 7:40pm

OK, so I've been home for far longer than planned & I need summer work to get the money to go abroad again. I've always thought I would be good as a barista (grew up serving customers behind the deli at my Dad's petrol station, spent 7 years in a non-food customer role dealing with practically the whole membership of the United Nations in the airport). What kind of barista training is available out there for someone like me? Am I better off getting the training & then looking for the job, or getting a job and then getting the training to advance? Is it worth doing the 3 hour sessions, or do you really need a week-long course to take this seriously?

(FWIW, I'm not a coffee lover, but I do like crafting things to perfection, and I have a discerning pallette. To couple that with my customer experience would be a satisfying job-combo for me.)

Sooo, barista.......is the course a good idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Would you not take on with something you do have an interest in, perhaps another area within the service sector of the culinary arts? The best baristas I've been served by have a huge passion for coffee and that's part of what makes them so good. They can talk with first hand knowledge about the taste and texture of the coffee and what to expect from the cup, you'll be starting at a disadvantage if you're not a coffee lover. This doesn't mean that you won't succeed as a barista of course, it's just an observation.

I've never done a course but 3fe run them I believe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

You'd be better off finding a job in a cafe and learning on the job. I assume you know most positions will be minimum wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

All top baristas I know are huge coffee lovers. I'd see how interested you are in coffee before going too deep into this. Maybe do a beginner course in 3FE or Vice Coffee, see if this whole thing is your bag. Honestly If I was a top cafe I wouldn't be hiring someone with no experience or interest.

Advertisement