Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onion bhaji % real from Indian takeaway

Options
  • 21-04-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

There is nothing quite like inhouse made onion bhajis. Are Indian takeaways in the majority or minority who make their own onion bhajis?. Some of them are clearly the boxed tesco style variety thats presented to you but i dont order so frequently that id know what the rough % is in relation to a place who makes their own or who heat them out of a box.
    But the last twice in 2 different places the onion bhajis i received were the pre made processed ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Maybe I've never had a good one but they have always been muck when I've ordered them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Maybe I've never had a good one but they have always been muck when I've ordered them

Most restaurants will hand make them freshly and there is no comparison when they are made in house. There is a bit of making in them so as a starter for the price they probably don't see the point in putting the labour into them. So maybe its the norm for Indian takeaways to just issue you the oul pre made tesco meal deal in a box style ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's nothing to making a bhaji. Slice a pile of onions, whip up a batter & add the spices - that's easy prep for any kitchen. Mix & shape into balls on the go, & pop them in the deep fryer for a few minutes.

Only a very lazy chef would bother with pre-packed ones.

There's nothing to making a bhaji. Slice a pile of onions, whip up a batter & add the spices - that's easy prep for any kitchen. Mix & shape into balls on the go, & pop them in the deep fryer for a few minutes.

Only a very lazy chef would bother with pre-packed ones.

Anywhere in North Dublin confirmed shop made ones then!.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They'd be unlikely to be shop bought ones I'd imagine, they're not exactly difficult to make, and buying them in ready made would be expensive for them. It wouldn't entirely surprise me though if some of the lazier Indian takeaways didn't prepare them in advance and then just pop them in the fryer again for a short while to heat them up.

• Advertisement

100% shop bought ones they were. I dont think there is any mistaking

IDShot_540x540.jpg

ONION.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

califano wrote: »
    There is nothing quite like inhouse made onion bhajis. Are Indian takeaways in the majority or minority who make their own onion bhajis?. Some of them are clearly the boxed tesco style variety thats presented to you but i dont order so frequently that id know what the rough % is in relation to a place who makes their own or who heat them out of a box.
    But the last twice in 2 different places the onion bhajis i received were the pre made processed ones.

if i got processed onion bhajis from a takeaway I would never go back. Its a really bad sign!

if i got processed onion bhajis from a takeaway I would never go back. Its a really bad sign!

Yeah im not going back. Will just try another place but whether its takeaway or restaurant in future im always asking first.

Advertisement