Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPD....experiences?

Options
  • 21-04-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,

Due first baby in July and have been diagnosed with SPD - symphsis pubis dysfunction (painful pelvic problem, worsened by movement). Anyways, just looking for other experiences, particularly how it impacted on your work...my job is very hectic, driving a lot 2.5hrs+ journeys and then lots of walking and more, some elements office based...Doesn't look like desk duties will be available and I really want to avoid going out sick. Would love to know how others have managed this condition and how long you were able to keep working?

*not looking for medical advice here* thanks! Bobs 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Bobbins, I've been suffering from it early on in this pregnancy didn't have it at all the last time. I'm on my feet all day at work and then also have a 17 month old to chase after as well. I'm 30 weeks and seem to be having a slight reprieve the last few days. It's bliss! To be honest I've just been managing it through regular Physio, pregnancy Pilates, serola belt and taping. I feel your pain. Am lucky enough that my commute is short enough thankfully. Up until recently I wasn't even sure if get to 30 weeks at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Get a support belt, and lots of physio (was free in galway through the maternity physios). I could barely walk and found it tough - even with just a desk job. Mine started at 12 weeks on the second baby :mad: was able to work until 35 weeks, until i went on mat leave, but couldnt take the stairs towards the end and found the drive really hard as well.

Best of luck, not long to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Guys, thanks a mill for your replies. I'm awaiting hospital physio appt so have been attending private sessions in the meantime. Can't say I've seen a huge difference but then again I'm not sure there is much they can do! Hopefully it will help manage the symptoms, glad to hear you guys are still working away, it gives some peace of mind...and hope!
    Best of luck to you too 😃

Bobbins wrote: »
    Guys, thanks a mill for your replies. I'm awaiting hospital physio appt so have been attending private sessions in the meantime. Can't say I've seen a huge difference but then again I'm not sure there is much they can do! Hopefully it will help manage the symptoms, glad to hear you guys are still working away, it gives some peace of mind...and hope!
    Best of luck to you too 😃

Have they suggested a support belt or stretching/exercises Bobbins? Hopefully you won't be too long waiting for the hospital appointment.

Yep, doing some exercises and holding off buying a belt until appt with hospital physio...as long as it comes soon that is! Think they give them FOC...Have no idea what the waiting time will be, so if nothing in next week or so will go ahead and buy one...TBH am happy to put up with the pain as long as I know everything else is ok! Will just have to take work one week at a time and see how it goes...😊

• Advertisement

I ended up having to take a week off a few weeks back. The rest really helped but yeah, I'm taking it a week at a time. 8 weeks left in work. Hoping I get to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I had terrible spd. I only had a desk job but even just sitting for any lenght of time was awful. I finished up work about 20 weeks. I was having physio every week. The belt helped as did physio but i ended up on crutches on and off too.

Tips id recommend. Sleeping with a pillow between your knees. When gettin in and out of the car. Sit in then turn your legs in. (Ie dont put one leg in then the other) . Dont sit too long, dont stand too long and dont walk too far. Its hard but i found i got still if i stayed in one position for too long then i struggled to move.
    Hope you are able to manage it and continue to work.
    It is so worth it.
    But also be very careful aftrr baba is born. Mine went straight away and i thought this was great then one day around 4 weeks post birth i hurt myself real bad carrying the car seat. Had to wait until 6 weeks befoee i could start physio. Back on a crutch by times too(i had a newborn and a 2yr old) .
    By 3 months i no longer needed physio and by about 6 months i was back to myself. So be careful post birth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Good point, watch yourself after birth as well! 15 months after i had the last child i'm still not 100 % right - certain movements still make me whince, such as trying to push something heavy with one foot (e.g. Trying to push furniture back into position) or getting up with the legs apart :( ah well...

Thanks guys, good advice. I bought a maternity support pillow a couple of weeks ago so that helps a bit! Hate to be a moaning myrtle! Fingers crossed work will be tolerable 😊 the thoughts of ten weeks at home is enough to drive me potty! Not that I'm in love with work mind you!! :D never thought about afterwards either...in my mind's eye everything will be serene and magical..ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

I had it really bad... I second the advice re the pillow and getting in and out of the car. Swimming was a Huge help for me. The weightlessness in the water gave me such relief.
    Rest as much as you can aswell. The minute I felt better I'd end up going a bit overboard thinkin I was better only to regret it later!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A tip with the support pillow it to have it between your knees and ankles. The aim is to keep your legs in line with your hips as much as possible when lying on your side. I was putting it between knees and under bump but correcting the position really does help.

Advertisement