Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Apple Care

• 21-04-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Just curious (or nosey), did many here buy Apple Care when buying a phone or buy insurance elsewhere? Im trying to decide on buying it or not.

Did you buy Apple Care? 14 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    BigMooseRonanCChorus_suckRoyalMarineOafley JonessquonkHarcridLumironnie3585moralproductionglackfergusbFourFourREDIrishBlaine 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Apple Care plus is pretty good. Its €99 and covers two incidents of accidental damage within the first 2 years for an excess of €49 per claim. Also gives full telephone support for 2 years and extends warranty by 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

No
    First time I have ever considered either apple care or insurance was on my recently bought iPhone 6+ 64Gb. Decided a replacement if/when I drop it would be too costly compared to the price of some sort of insurance. In the end I want for Apple care thinking I'm more likely to drop it than lose it and the hassle over some of the other insurers and claims didn't seem worth it. I'm still slightly concerned I will lose it or have it stolen though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BigMoose wrote: »
    First time I have ever considered either apple care or insurance was on my recently bought iPhone 6+ 64Gb. Decided a replacement if/when I drop it would be too costly compared to the price of some sort of insurance. In the end I want for Apple care thinking I'm more likely to drop it than lose it and the hassle over some of the other insurers and claims didn't seem worth it. I'm still slightly concerned I will lose it or have it stolen though...

Am in the very same position. Got a 6 yesterday and don't know which to go for,Apple care or insurance through 3 or independent company.:confused:

No
    I concluded, for what it's worth, that insurance via 3 was pointless as it was more expensive than the likes of Gadgetinsurance but seemed to have as many folk complain about them honoring claims.

So that left either Apple Care and hoping I dont loose it or have it stolen, or Gadgetinsurance or similar. I decided to go for the apple care as the insurers dont cover you for the first 14 days and Apple seem to be hassle free. I might possibly take out insurance at some point if I think I'm going anywhere dodgy, but probably wont bother.

I concluded, for what it's worth, that insurance via 3 was pointless as it was more expensive than the likes of Gadgetinsurance but seemed to have as many folk complain about them honoring claims.

So that left either Apple Care and hoping I dont loose it or have it stolen, or Gadgetinsurance or similar. I decided to go for the apple care as the insurers dont cover you for the first 14 days and Apple seem to be hassle free. I might possibly take out insurance at some point if I think I'm going anywhere dodgy, but probably wont bother.

The thing I like about the 3 ins is that you can cancel any time you wish. Annually it's prob around €50 dearer though. Got a great deal on phone so feel all my luck is used up and should insure with somebody.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't get the insurance thing at all.

My car insurance covers my car worth about €6k now, Third Party fire and theft and liability for millions. Breakdown service, windscreen replacement etc, all for about €330 a year.

Yet people are willing to pay €70-100 a year for an €800 device that may not even be covered under all circumstances. The insurance is extremely bad value.
    People should also check their house insurance.

Also if you're going somewhere 'dodgy' just keep your phone in your pocket in public.

You are indeed 100% correct murpho. It seems nuts to me also. But up in the air as to what to do!. Fone is for my daughter. This will be prob her 6 th phone,the last two being an IP4 s and a 5, and every one of them are perfect,not even a scratch when she finished with them. Your probably right ....but :eek:

No
    I tend to agree re phone insurance. As I say, I've never bothered with any phone before. But I cant afford to replace an 800 quid iphone 6+ for when I eventually do drop it. I would be bloody annoyed if I was stuck on a 24 month contract using some crappy old phone I have lying around. I guess I drop my phone more often than I crash my car (for the car insurance analogy)... Also I object to buying a lovely slick phone and putting a crappy big cover on it. Decided I'd rather spend 90 for 2 years apple care than 40 on some crap cover/case. Hence concluded that apple care for 2 years was a better option for me than full insurance, esp as apple don't seem to be difficult in sorting claims.

I tend to agree re phone insurance. As I say, I've never bothered with any phone before. But I cant afford to replace an 800 quid iphone 6+ for when I eventually do drop it. I would be bloody annoyed if I was stuck on a 24 month contract using some crappy old phone I have lying around. I guess I drop my phone more often than I crash my car (for the car insurance analogy)... Also I object to buying a lovely slick phone and putting a crappy big cover on it. Decided I'd rather sender 90 for 2 years apple care than 40 on some crap cover/case. Hence concluded that apple care for 2 years was a better option for me than full insurance, esp as apple don't seem to be difficult in sorting claims.

Does apple cover loss or theft?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Does apple cover loss or theft?

No. Accidental damage only

• Advertisement

I tend to agree re phone insurance. As I say, I've never bothered with any phone before. But I cant afford to replace an 800 quid iphone 6+ for when I eventually do drop it. I would be bloody annoyed if I was stuck on a 24 month contract using some crappy old phone I have lying around. I guess I drop my phone more often than I crash my car (for the car insurance analogy)... Also I object to buying a lovely slick phone and putting a crappy big cover on it. Decided I'd rather spend 90 for 2 years apple care than 40 on some crap cover/case. Hence concluded that apple care for 2 years was a better option for me than full insurance, esp as apple don't seem to be difficult in sorting claims.

I would still take a chance rather than pay insurance that may or may not pay out.
    A screen replacement when I had the 4s ( I know it's not the 6 plus) cost me 40 quid when done locally the last time and the screen was good quality.

I also hate covers but had to admit defeat after breaking a screen. Also think the shape of the 6 and 6 plus makes it more likely to slip out of the hand so I really think you should invest in a cover. My 5 Euro ebay cover has already saved my phone twice in its short life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't get the insurance thing at all.

My car insurance covers my car worth about €6k now, Third Party fire and theft and liability for millions. Breakdown service, windscreen replacement etc, all for about €330 a year.

Yet people are willing to pay €70-100 a year for an €800 device that may not even be covered under all circumstances. The insurance is extremely bad value.
    People should also check their house insurance.

Also if you're going somewhere 'dodgy' just keep your phone in your pocket in public.
    You are indeed 100% correct murpho. It seems nuts to me also. But up in the air as to what to do!. Fone is for my daughter. This will be prob her 6 th phone,the last two being an IP4 s and a 5, and every one of them are perfect,not even a scratch when she finished with them. Your probably right ....but :eek:

Im unsure whether to get apple care or insurance. Ill get one or the other

If Apple covered loss or theft I'd have no hesitation. The fact that this is only available with independent in's companies is pushing me there and hoping I'll never need it.:(

Fair enough, I'm 7 years now with iPhones and never had either insurance or Apple Care, never had an issue so up about €700 in my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

160 Euro with Chill to cover everything, I think I might go with that. Anyone have experience with them or recommend another Insurer?

Advertisement