Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten Free Malts in Ireland

• 21-04-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Ireland or mail-order that will ship at reasonable prices gluten-free extracts such as Sorghum Malt Syrup extract, Rice Malt Syrup extract and malted buckwheat and millet as well as Gluten-free yeast. My local homebrew shop doesn't carry any gluten-free ingredients and I don't want any of the rip-off gluten-free kits, just extracts and or grains. Even in the UK they seem to only have high priced GF kits and as well the shipping costs seem crazy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

why not try alternative ways to go gluten free. Brooklyn Brewshops recipe book has some gluten free recipes using root vegetables to get the fermentable sugars. I think the recipes use carrots,beets,pumpkin and basmati rice, rice hulls and quinoa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

White labs has a product called Clarity Ferm, it was designed to help clear up haze issue in beer. Its an enzyme the will destroy certain hazing from proteins. But has the added bonus of bring gluten down below the 20ppm limit to be define as "Gluten free" internationally. In some case it has reduced the levels below 5ppm. It simple to use, just added it along with the yeast and let it do its thing.

Clarity Ferm:
    http://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/wln4000-clarity-ferm-brewers-clarex

Home brew company sells it :
    https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/wln4000hb-clarityferm-10ml-single-vial-p-1766.html

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

oblivious wrote: »
    White labs has a product called Clarity Ferm

Never knew such a product existed, mad. Does it change the character of the beer?

"Usually tests below 20 ppm of gluten"

That's not really reliable enough for a Coeliac. If someone is super-sensitive even trace amounts can cause trouble. But for someone who is making the choice to avoid gluten or not as sensitive, yeah sounds good.

zippy84 wrote: »
    Never knew such a product existed, mad. Does it change the character of the beer?

Tast test have been very good form what I have heard. it not going to attack long chain dextrains that will also give body to beer

"Usually tests below 20 ppm of gluten"

That's not really reliable enough for a Coeliac. If someone is super-sensitive even trace amounts can cause trouble. But for someone who is making the choice to avoid gluten or not as sensitive, yeah sounds good.

Its the international definition, but 20 ppm was with a what beer. Other pale ale malts beer have dropped down to 5 ppm.

Super-sensitive probably will also have an issue unfortunately with contamination by gluten

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Hi Oblivious,

Thanks for that, I was oblivious to Clarity Ferm :)

I have just read up on Clarity Ferm and it definitely has some mixed reviews, but the whole Gluten-free area is also not completely understood and there's a lot of miscommunication out there. I was looking to make the GF beer for a friend who has Celaic disease, but I also seem to be developing some gluten or wheat/barley intolerance, so I'll defiantly get some Clarity Ferm and experiment with myself, but I'll let my Celiac friend decide if he wants to try it or not, but I'd still also like to try and get some GF ingredients such as Sorghum Malt Syrup extract, Rice Malt Syrup extract and malted buckwheat and millet and Gluten-free yeast. Anyone know of any where that will ship any of these to Ireland at a reasonable price?

• Advertisement

SeamusFX wrote: »
    but I'd still also like to try and get some GF ingredients such as Sorghum Malt Syrup extract, Rice Malt Syrup extract and malted buckwheat and millet and Gluten-free yeast. Anyone know of any where that will ship any of these to Ireland at a reasonable price?

You can get some Sorghum Syrup here

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Briess-White-Sorghum-Syrup-Malt-extract.html#.VTi2nyFViko

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Hi Oblivious,

Thanks for that, but according to their website the Home Brew doesn't ship outside of the UK for orders over 1kg and one can is 1.5kg, plus, their shipping charges also seem pretty high. Have you ever ordered anything from them before and did they ship to Ireland and how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Gluten-free yeast

I'd assume all yeast is gluten free, as gluten is a plant protein.

Hi Oblivious,

Thanks for that, but according to their website the Home Brew doesn't ship outside of the UK for orders over 1kg and one can is 1.5kg, plus, their shipping charges also seem pretty high. Have you ever ordered anything from them before and did they ship to Ireland and how much?

Ooh I did not know that. I haven't order from the but have from the UK. the exchange rate is very bad at the mo

It might be worth dropping the he homebrew company a bell, they night get it in for you.

I'd assume all yeast is gluten free, as gluten is a plant protein.

Dry yeast is as the yeast are not grown on malt (barley wheat). Liquid is generally not

• Advertisement
Advertisement