Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Lights & Sockets

Options
  • 21-04-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Going to add a couple of outdoor sockets and external lights.

Is regular 2.5mm T&E suitable, or should I use artic cable or even regular flex?

The cable won't be exposed, but will be terminated outside the building fabric.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

tedimc wrote: »

Is regular 2.5mm T&E suitable, or should I use artic cable or even regular flex?

The cable won't really be an issue. Making sure the lights and sockets can stand up to the elements and have the correct IP ratings is what you need to be concerned with.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tedimc wrote: »

If you are using T & E be aware that it is not UV resistant.
    That means that you must ensure that none of the cable is exposed to sunlight, so clearly this is something that you need to look at when terminating "outside the building fabric".

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Thanks guys, yes was going to use the correct IP rating fixtures alright.

Its just I have seen outdoor lights where the T&E has been in bad shape inside the fitting, even thought they were only 5 to 6 years old.

Probably just a combination of heat, dampness and maybe some UV light getting through the glass or casing. For the relatively small cost difference and easier use, I might go with the artic flex - at least it gives the option of having some exposed depending on the design of the light fitting.

Advertisement