Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on the fitness test for Cadetships

• 21-04-2015 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Basically looking for any tips you guys may have on how to do well in the fitness tests for the cadetships competition?
    I presume its the same as the normal recruiting ones of 20 situps in a minute, 20 pressups in a minute and 2.4km in 11min 40 seconds
    Ive the situps and pressups down easily but the fastest ive managed on the 2.4 km run so far is 13 mins 46 seconds today, mind you i only started jogging a week and a half ago and my first time was 18 mins 33 seconds, any tips on getting those last 2-3 minutes shaven off?
    I find my biggest problem is the pain in my calves which forces me to stop every now and then

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Just keep doing it every day. Try stretching off after as well which might help with your calves. On the day you'll probably find you'll run it faster than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Designator

where do the fitness tests normally take place? what type of ground? is it on a track or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

The run is on road. Have you got a date for your test? If you've got a bit of time, mix up your training. Try 5k or longer runs, intervals, fartlek and hill running. There's a suggested programme to follow on the Terms & Conditions Booklet regarding the cadetship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Pain in your ankles or calves could be down to poor arch support. If your runners are ancient, it might be worth getting a new pair.

Don't kill yourself trying to run every day either. You need a rest day or two in the week, so go for a swim or something instead.

Advertisement