Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet-up Groups , Hidden Secret Places for Observation

Options
  • 21-04-2015 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

As I got my first scope (waited long enough) I have been advised to join a local group or meet people that are spending time outdoor, with their equipment, observing the wonders.

I am curious to find out how can I join a meet-up group, how do they decide to meet and where.
    I searched online but nothing to help me.

Also, to take your scope and accessories and jump in the car to drive & observe at the base of Sugar Loaf...is that doable, safe, alright ?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Congratulations on the new scope.

The Dublin Stargazers meet regularly at the Sugarloaf.

The Irish Astronomical Society meets in Sandymount and Clontarf during the winter. We will be holding our last meetings on Friday and Saturday of this week. I have put up another post with more details.

Michael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks.

Joined the "Meetup group",i hope to be out there on Friday the 24th April.
    Thank You !!!

Hi,

Well..I meet two amazing people there...sitting in cold and wind, at 1AM on Friday night...chatting about stars, equipment and dreaming of a nice hot cup of tea ! :)

At least I didn't look like an idiot keep asking...Where is Polaris !?" :)

See you next time... clear skies !
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

You've haven't met half the amazing people yet. :D A great bunch of regulars. I've fallen out of the hobby for various reasons some within my control and some beyond my control over the last few years. Hopefully I'll be back in the game when things kick back up a gear again in the Autumn. I've made the odd appearance 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years and the amazing thing is, despite that it might have been 12-18 months since my last appearance, the chat and friendliness and camaraderie with David and the rest of the lads and lassies is instantaneous and as if we'd only been chatting the week before. Such a friendly and welcoming and easygoing group.

Sorry to see that you are out, I hope you will get back soon, I'm discovering myself now how "dear" hobby has become.

Great to hear that people are still around, sharing and meeting...where are they ? When and where is the next cold & chilly meeting !?

Calibos wrote: »
    You've haven't met half the amazing people yet. :D A great bunch of regulars. I've fallen out of the hobby for various reasons some within my control and some beyond my control over the last few years. Hopefully I'll be back in the game when things kick back up a gear again in the Autumn. I've made the odd appearance 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years and the amazing thing is, despite that it might have been 12-18 months since my last appearance, the chat and friendliness and camaraderie with David and the rest of the lads and lassies is instantaneous and as if we'd only been chatting the week before. Such a friendly and welcoming and easygoing group.

• Advertisement
Advertisement