Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junk Mail

• 21-04-2015 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

I counted 20 pieces of junk mail which came through my letterbox last week.

These varied from free newspapers to flyers for diy/ hardware stores, gymnasiums, driveway contractors, landscaping contractors, pizza outlets, burger joints, asian food takeaways............

Seriously I appear to get more junk mail than actual post, I guess most of my correspondence is online.

The whole issue of junk mail has been a source of annoyance for some time.

Any constructive suggestions on how to prevent this junk getting into my mail box.

It seems an awful waste of paper..............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Had same problem. Bought a stick on plaque for letterbox in woodies "no junk mail".

Stopped everything except "pretend clothes charities" gangs. A tiger pit and punji stakes wouldn't stop them from leaving their calling card hanging out of your letter box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Those no junk mail signs don't always work. And if they are to work, then you are taking the bread off these guys tables, which is wrong.

An Post are delivering letters in the area anyway, so tagging on a few leaflets is more gain than pain, and that's where the business model is going now. Additionally, you'll see that they are also printing advertising on the envelopes aswell.
    Just dump them into the recycling bin is what I do, but if I can I try support the initiative and tell the business I bought by virtue of the mailshot, this encourages them to send more and give the An Post guys a bit of work.

Is there anyone else we are oppressing by not wanting papers and junk mail sticking out of our letter boxes so as to advertise that we are away from the house?

Poor oul Johnny "500 convictions but definitely turning his life around now your honour". Shame on me. Would be ok if I said no to junk mail but in its absence posted up a convenient schedule for scum bags to call by my house instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'm just saying it's a balancing act. When I was younger, Willie O'Dea would give me £20 to leaflet an area, and it meant a lot. All you had to do was simply bin it if you weren't interested, though you'd be amazed the amount of people delighted to get a leaflet at the time.

Though yes, I am aware it's gone beyond the joke in parts of Limerick. These door to door sales people are another arm of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Sign on the letterbox will do the trick, we were plagued with leaflets and other crap until I put one up recently..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭gerarda

My neighbour has a sign up saying: All junk mail will go in the bin. Works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Whenever I see a no junk mail sign on a letterbox I think "beware of cranky oul wan." I also did some work delivering leaflets while in college to earn a few bob. It was rare enough but quite a few people treated me terribly for attempting to put something in their letterbox, I hasten to add that I never delivered where it said not to. I can tell you it's hard work for very little money.
    Just put it in your recycling bin and get over it

Do they specifically recruit people incapable of inserting the junk mail all the way, or is it part of the training that it must be obvious from a distance that no one is in the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I got a no junk mail sticker for my door in Dalys in william street, cost €5 and I must say was worth every penny they have a great selection and match with the door...haven't got one piece of junk mail since...previously was 3 to 4 a day from takeaways all of which are exactly the same price just different names...

would recommend to anybody...they are located right at the back of the shop on the right hand side...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bedsit Bob

myshirt wrote: »
    Those no junk mail signs don't always work.

Agreed.

I have three signs on my door, and I still get Junk Mail posted through my letterbox.

It all goes in the recycling bin, unopened/unread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I used to have the junk mail sign worked a treat. One of the used clothes guys dropped it in early one morning about 5 o'clock woke me up well if he did, it was the last time i got one. F**k off away from my front door uninvited especially at that time of the morning. I don't care what you deliver if you disturb me when i sleep youre getting an ear full or worse..

We dont need 6 copies of the same leaflet every year, its 2018 advertise online or f**k off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Stab*City wrote: »
    We dont need 6 copies of the same leaflet every year, its 2018 advertise online or f**k off.

Seeing as they are waste collectors(clothes one that normally seem to arrive at that hour), WCP Licensed, they only need a few suckers to give them clothes which are then sold. Nothing goes to Charity unless you either give it yourself or put it in a charity bin locally.

If they were really a charity collector they'd have such a license but have a look at the thing if you ever get one again, Waste Collecting Permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Hope for your sakes yous don't miss an actually good deal by turning away such mail,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Had same problem. Bought a stick on plaque for letterbox in woodies "no junk mail".

Stopped everything except "pretend clothes charities" gangs. A tiger pit and punji stakes wouldn't stop them from leaving their calling card hanging out of your letter box.

Well, they do have their uses. A few years back, I had accumulated a few sacks of moss after raking my lawn front and back. I was at a loss as to how best to get rid of it when I had a brainwave.
    Two refuse sacks packed with moss, label attached and duly collected from my front gate at 7am one morning.

Advertisement