Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ] Scope cleaning / maintenace services

Options
  • 22-04-2015 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Anyone in Dublin or around that has a business in servicing telescopes, cleaning the lenses, getting the mount's engines running smoother, realigning / recalibrating them and so on !?
    I'm thinking to get my "baby" to someone trustworthy that can open and do a deep clean on the primary mirror and lenses.
    On the mount, to open and grease the mechanical parts.

Seen this video here...looks serious .

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

I would not have thought so and if there was I would suspect it would cost a good fraction (or almost as much) of the value of the telescope.

Why do you want to clean it, is the corrector plate really dirty?

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks for reply...

Dunno..I thought that is a good idea to get it serviced like a car or a laptop, often needed oil/filters or clean-up the build-up dust on the cooling fans.
    I could be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

rolion wrote: »
    Thanks for reply...

Dunno..I thought that is a good idea to get it serviced like a car or a laptop, often needed oil/filters or clean-up the build-up dust on the cooling fans.
    I could be wrong...

I feel that you are falling into that well know beginners trap of "wanting to run before you can walk". Part of the learning curve in astronomy or any other hobby is the actual learning. I should know I was in the exact same position as yourself 5 years ago.

Yes, you need to get you scope set up, but don't start throwing a heap of money on this or astro photography lessons, or getting you scope cleaned etc, etc. Unless your scope was in the desert, it more than likely doesn't need cleaning. If you are any sort of aptitude you will learn to do all of this for yourself in the coming months.

Yes I know you are having set up problems, I know I did for the first six months, with my CPC 9.25. I met up with guys from various clubs at observation meets and received a massive amount of knowledge and above all encouragement for free.

Unfortunatly you just missed out on one of the bigger amature astro gatherings in Athlone last weekend, but there will be more. The IFAS forum http://www.irishastronomy.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=category&Itemid=212&layout=list always has a meet up on it or one in the planning.

Above all slow down and enjoy.

If you want send me a PM as I live in your neck of the woods and woul be only to happy to assist.

Advertisement