Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio jack is hardly working

Options
  • 22-04-2015 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

So on my PC my audio jack is not working with any of my headphones as it doesn't seem to even register that it is there on the PC. I fiddled around with the placement of my headphone plug inside the jack and I noticed that when the headphone plug is placed in the jack and I hold the plug upwards, the PC registers the headphones and sound plays. If I let go the PC doesn't register the headphones and I cant hear any audio.

Can anybody help me? Will I have to replace my jack? Is it even fixable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

mossy95 wrote: »
    So on my PC my audio jack is not working with any of my headphones as it doesn't seem to even register that it is there on the PC. I fiddled around with the placement of my headphone plug inside the jack and I noticed that when the headphone plug is placed in the jack and I hold the plug upwards, the PC registers the headphones and sound plays. If I let go the PC doesn't register the headphones and I cant hear any audio.

Can anybody help me? Will I have to replace my jack? Is it even fixable?

Could be banjaxed alright. Have you only got the one? Lots of PCs would one front and one rear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Which is why right angle jacks are better than straight to avoid stress on the socket. Repair is a matter of replacing the socket on the motherboard which a repair shop should do but might cost a bit. Figure €50-€90 to do the job. I know that power sockets cost €90 to do but are bigger and carry more power and are harder to do correctly than an audio socket ( Heat and power issues).

Laptops are fiddlier than desktops and may cost more to do etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Without knowing the spec of the OPs PC, it might be the case that repair would cost more than its worth. In this case, a work-a-round could be a USB audio adapter.

edit here's one for eur1.29 from china or you'll get one closer and quicker for less than e5
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-USB-External-Mic-Speaker-3D-5-1-Channel-Audio-PC-Sound-Card-Adapter-Brown-/361069619012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54116d2744

Advertisement