Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who regulates taxis in Galway?

Options
  • 22-04-2015 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have an issue that I want to bring up with the regulator but I'm not sure who to contact. I don't want to mention the issue on a public forum if that's ok. Many thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

A friend of mine (probably not you "BroadShoulders") had an issue with a Galway taxi recently. She was queueing up at Eyre Square and had hopped into a multi-seater taxi and going to Newcastle. A guy goes to the window of the taxi and says to the driver that he has 8 people and wants to go to Moycullen. The taxi driver tells her and her friend to get out of the taxi. They tried to stay but the taxi driver said to the group of 8 to get them out... and they did!! Shocking stuff. No idea who the taxi driver was except that it was a silver multi-seater and it was at the rank.
    There was also lots of skipping in the taxi rank queue...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sniipe wrote: »
    A friend of mine (probably not you "BroadShoulders") had an issue with a Galway taxi recently. She was queueing up at Eyre Square and had hopped into a multi-seater taxi and going to Newcastle. A guy goes to the window of the taxi and says to the driver that he has 8 people and wants to go to Moycullen. The taxi driver tells her and her friend to get out of the taxi. They tried to stay but the taxi driver said to the group of 8 to get them out... and they did!! Shocking stuff. No idea who the taxi driver was except that it was a silver multi-seater and it was at the rank.

I call bollox on that story. No one ever queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

By the taxi's or customers?

Customers arent required to take the next car in a rank or queue, its simply a custom.

Customers are free to pick any taxi they want.

I call bollox on that story. No one ever queues.
    :rolleyes:
    buzz11 wrote: »
    By the taxi's or customers?

Customers arent required to take the next car in a rank or queue, its simply a custom.

Customers are free to pick any taxi they want.
    Customer. The custom seems like a good idea to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

:rolleyes:

Customer. The custom seems like a good idea to me.

It's certain not a good custom, the difference between prices with the various taxi companies can be crazy. Eyre Square to Parkmore in the morning can cost me anything from 8-12 euro depending on which cab you take.

I always use the same company now as I found them the best but I presume I can't name them here.

I always use the same company now as I found them the best but I presume I can't name them here.

I'd like to know what company you find good. I don't see any reason why you can't give a glowing review of a taxi company. We don't need to name the bad ones. (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah it's fine to recommend a company when you're an established poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

biko wrote: »
    Yeah it's fine to recommend a company when you're an established poster.

Define established ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Sofa King wrote: »
    Define established ;)
    835 posts or more :p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

dilallio wrote: »
    835 posts or more :p:p:p

:(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'd like to know the cheapest company also, I've found shocking variation in taxi's I've gotten before.

This thread is about regulators. Please start one for recommended or cheapest carriers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

biko wrote: »
    This thread is about regulators. Please start one for recommended or cheapest carriers.
    Eh, the taxi regulator regulates prices

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh, the taxi regulator regulates prices

The regulator regulates maximum prices. Some companies choose to charge less. They are allowed to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

If I'm allowed recommend one then it's Galway Taxis, The 561111 Named cabs.
    They normally have a policy of 2 euro off if it goes over 10 euro in the city.
    If they don't give it to you ask about it. Always find their cabs to be in good shape too and clean.

OPs question is answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement