Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Leave Calculator

Options
  • 22-04-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

We're in the horns of a dilemma at the minute, where we're without a minder for our 2 lads for Fridays only. We had someone lined up, but they've pulled out stating "they wouldn't get a bond with the kids only minding them one day a week!". This was after already telling us they'd do it, and to give them a few days to figure out a price!
    The local place has quoted us €50 per day per child, so that's roughly €400 per month. So we're trying to figure out if I were to take 1 day's parental leave per week, what would we be down wages wise. Obviously if it's less than the €400 per month we're quids in, and Daddy gets loads of 3 day weekends! :D About time really since Mrs. S has had them for around 6 years!:eek:

Is there any sort of calculator where you can put in gross pay, tax, etc., and it'd tell you how much you'd drop per day of leave?

Strange one I know. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is very expensive per day unless it is in your own home or the day is very long.
    Have you spoken to the local creches?
    www.childminding.ie might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks Moonbeam.

That price is for the creche that's in our estate. It was Mrs. S that enquired, so I don't know the whole story. All I know is the figure she told me. Her enquiry wouldn't have been for our own home though, and the day wouldn't be any longer than 9am to 4pm.

Will check out the link you gave. Would ideally like the lads to stay in their own house, so if our income wasn't reduced massively, we'd go for the parental route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Google Deloitte tax calculator 2015 and stick in your current salary (without parental leave). It's not gonna give your actual current net salary unless you don't have any BIK, pay money to pension through salary deduction etc but it'll give you a reference point. Then just reduce your gross by 20% for the parental leave and see what your net gives you then. Subtract the two and you'll get your approx net drop in pay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A Nanny in your house would be min wage +their tax so it could work out cheaper or a better option.

Advertisement