Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting fishing with daughter

• 22-04-2015 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I've only fished a couple of times myself so assume complete beginner. My daughter has mobility issues at the moment so I suggested we go fishing together to get her out of the house. Bought two basic rods and some lures from Rory's and have a fair idea how to set up the gear to get started.

But where is the question. We live by the Royal Canal in Maynooth but I've heard that the fishing isn't that good for one reason or another. I'd like her to actually catch something one of her first times out to keep her interested. Does anyone know if the angling centre is Maynooth is still going? Two of the three phone numbers I found online are out of service and the other is nothing to do with them. Also would anyone have any idea how much it costs to fish in one of the lakes there? Thinking coarse lake - that's what the lures are for. But have hooks and can dig up worms in the back garden if needed and go to the bait lake if that's better.

Or any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I went to Maynooth last summer, I can't comment on how good the fishing is these days because it was just far too hot, the lake looked good though from a coarse perspective, clean enough for a fishery. I get the feeling most of their resources go to the carp lake though, that seems to be doing the biggest business for them so it's hard to blame them. I was charged a tenner with no real indication of a time limit though I arrived at midday so that may be a half day charge.

There's also Lough Aisling out in Edenderry. Used to be a stocked Trout lake for fly fishing but I'm told he's stocked the main lake for coarse now and the few pics and that I can find online suggest as much. He was charging 20 quid for the day and I found it a great spot for Trout, high banks though which is a pain for access to the water at times.

The canal I can only testify to the Grand around Sallins/Naas but I think you'll always have the same problem with the canals - they're free to fish so get fished heavily. One evening you could have the session of a lifetime if you're fishing a spot that's been relatively left alone, the next you'll have a complete blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

The trout fishery in Aughrim in Wicklow is set up with disabled anglers in mind.
    I haven't been there in many years but I hear that the fish are free taking and the access is excellent.

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thanks guys. It doesn't need to have full disabled access. She can walk short distances (somedays long distances) but on most days it causes her a lot of pain so she doesn't get out as much as she'd like. But car to lake would be fine and bring a seat for her. The Maynooth one would be very handy. If anyone has contact details let me know - might just give it a try as it's so local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Never contacted them myself just shown up so I wouldn't have anything outside of what's on their website/Facebook. I'd assume they're business as normal though, probably would have heard something through the grape vine otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Is Corkagh Park still going?
    www.corkaghparkfishery.ie

If not, maybe Rathbeggan Lakes, Co Meath
    www.rathbegganlakes.com

From http://www.fishinginireland.info/trout/putandtake.htm

AFAIK both have/had course fishing lakes as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement