Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New road shoes - sole ventilation

• 22-04-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi

I need a new pair of road shoes, I have it more or less down to 2, looking for some opinions.

I like the solid look of these.

Gaerne Futura Composite Carbon Road Shoes 2013

chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/gaerne-futura-composite-carbon-road-shoes-2013/rp-prod87650
    (Can’t post links as haven’t posted enough)

I like the idea of the solid sole, especially to keep warm in the winter.

I’m just a little concerned if I get a rain shower (without out overshoes on) then my feet will stay wet for longer with no drainage on the sole – thoughts?

Alternative is this

Diadora Vortex Racer Road Shoes

chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/diadora-vortex-racer-road-shoes/rp-prod129558

But my concern here is that they have too much ventilation on the sole, and will be freezing in the winter, even with overshoes.

Never happy :-)

Also should I size up in both (i.e. 41 up to 42)

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You should probably get another pair of winter shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Most regular cyclist wear summer shoes in winter. But in Winter, we wear thicker (Merino Wool) socks and one or even two pairs of overshoes.

As for cold feet if they get wet? yes, avoid wet feet if at all possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 The GMan

Hi
    I’ve been cycling for five or six years now, so I been through a few winters and I’m familiar with the hazards of cold and/or wet & Cold feet, and hence I’m well equipped with overshoes and good socks.

My current Shimano shoes are near their end and hence the need to replace them.

My current shoes (like most road shoes) have ventilation holes in the soles – the idea being to keep your feet cool on long hot summer days – designed in Japan (or other warmer climates I suspect).

One disadvantage of the sole ventilation (imo) in the Irish winter is that they let in water and cold. However an advantage is that the holes in the sole allow this water to drain quickly and your feet can dry.

I like the look of the Gaerne shoe and with the solid sole it should be warmer in winter, but I’m slightly concerned that once water gets it’s got nowhere to go, e.g. a spring shower when I not wearing over shoes and am I simply going to end up with a pool of water in the shoes and no chance of them drying out.

On the other had the Diadora shoes have so much ventilation on the soles that they may be impossible to keep warm in winter?

Anyone got any experience of either of these shoes in the varying Irish seasons ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You could just fill in the ventilation holes with blue tack in winter, that's what I do. Then it's a shoe for all seasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

The first shoes I owned were Shimano as well. I firmly taped up the ventilation holes early the first winter and never took it off again. In my opinion, there is no need for ventilation holes in soles during any season in Ireland. Last couple of years I've had Crono shoes with no ventilation in the soles. They've been great in Ireland in all seasons as well as some riding in Portugal in summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 The GMan

?

Advertisement