Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle to work scheme.

Options
  • 22-04-2015 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I run a bike shop which is based mainly online but recently I've had a lot of people asking if they can purchase our bikes through the cycle to work scheme.

Does anybody know how we can get set up to offer this? I've been looking around for a while but I can't seem to find any information.

Thanks in advance.
    Jack.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You must not have looked very hard! Google [revenue cycle to work scheme Ireland ]and you will get hundreds of hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jackos17

You must not have looked very hard! Google [revenue cycle to work scheme Ireland ]and you will get hundreds of hits.

Am I missing somthing? Everything I've read seems to be based around how and employee can avail of the scheme but nothing specifying how a bike shop can offer it.

Thanks,
    Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Jackos17 wrote: »
    Am I missing somthing? Everything I've read seems to be based around how and employee can avail of the scheme but nothing specifying how a bike shop can offer it.

Thanks,
    Jack.

Email info@cyclescheme.ie they'll point you in the right direction. You have to signed up as a retailer and then people can choose you as their retailer of choice for the scheme once they get approved.

[QUOTE=jimmii;95186718[/email] they'll point you in the right direction. You have to signed up as a retailer and then people can choose you as their retailer of choice for the scheme once they get approved.[/QUOTE]

Hi Jimmii,

I've been in contact with CycleScheme before but from reading their T&C's it became apparent that they only seem to be a broker between customers and bike shops and aren't the government agency behind the Cycle To Work scheme in Ireland but are an English based company. Am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks,
    Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Looks like an English parent company but they seem to be based in Sandyford. I wouldn't be surprised if a UK company was used to facilitate it!

From the Revenue website you would almost think that a shoo doesn't have to do anything to sign up to it you just sell the employer the bike and they do the rest! Surely couldn't be that simple though! Have you tried contacting revenue to see if there is paperwork you have to file?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Jackos17 wrote: »
    Hi,

I run a bike shop which is based mainly online but recently I've had a lot of people asking if they can purchase our bikes through the cycle to work scheme.

Does anybody know how we can get set up to offer this? I've been looking around for a while but I can't seem to find any information.

Thanks in advance.
    Jack.

It would seem to me that the quickest way to find the info you require would be to speak to other bike shop owners.
    Every bike shop in the country has been offering this service for quite some time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Office of Government Procurement - Cycle-to-Work Scheme

HOW DO SUPPLIERS QUALIFY TO SUPPLY GOODS UNDER THE SCHEME?
    The ability to provide at least one item of the equipment noted in the table on the attached application form is necessary for a supplier to be included on the list. The exemption covers pedal bicycles, tricycles and pedelecs (an electrically assisted bicycle which requires some effort on the part of the cyclist in order to effect propulsion). Motorbikes, scooters and mopeds are not included in the scheme. Admittance of suppliers to this scheme does not grant an exclusive supply right to operate the cycle-to-work scheme on behalf of a Government Department, agency or public body participating in the scheme. Suppliers will not be publicised as the sole or nominated/approved supplier by any Government Department, agency or public body. The right of choice of supplier rests solely with the employees availing of the scheme.

QUALITY OF GOODS
    The supplier of the equipment (bicycles and bicycle safety equipment) must ensure that the equipment supplied complies with the relevant safety standards, and must provide instruction on the use of this equipment, maintenance and servicing arrangements to the officer.

HOW DO SUPPLIERS APPLY TO PARTICIPATE?
    Suppliers interested in participating should complete the application form in the Terms and Conditions Section and email or post to Bill Byrne, Office of Government Procurement, 2nd Floor Bishop’s Square, Redmond’s Hill, Dublin 2 or support@ogp.gov.ie. The email or envelope should clearly state: Cycle-to-Work Scheme. There is no closing date for inclusion on the list.

Source: http://www.procurement.ie/suppliers/contracts/1939

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

You are only required to be on that list of approved suppliers if you are supplying bicycles and equipment to civil servants and public sector workers only.

Otherwise you do not have to be an any list of approved suppliers. The revenue guidence document says thus;

9.6 Can a bicycle be bought anywhere, e.g. online from abroad, or
    will it have to be bought in Ireland or from a pre-approved selection
    of shops?
    There are no limits as to where the bicycle should be purchased by the
    employer

Regards

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

That procurement notice relates to supplying civil servants with bikes. Half an hour on Google and a teenager would be an expert on the topic. One would have to wonder how anyone in the bike business has survived this long without being part of CTW programme.

edit - Cross-post dBran

jimmii wrote: »
    Looks like an English parent company but they seem to be based in Sandyford. I wouldn't be surprised if a UK company was used to facilitate it!

From the Revenue website you would almost think that a shoo doesn't have to do anything to sign up to it you just sell the employer the bike and they do the rest! Surely couldn't be that simple though! Have you tried contacting revenue to see if there is paperwork you have to file?

Thanks for that Jimmii,

I just got into a friend who works in a bike shop and he said that you don't actually have to register at all and it's just a case of issuing an invoice to the employer. Thanks for all your help.

Jack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Just one thing to watch out for, I am sure it is obvious. Do not sell a bike on credit. You have to have the money in your hand before you give the customer the bike.

Advertisement