Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a cat remember her kitten?

• 22-04-2015 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

In December I rescued a cat off the street and her kittens, and some kittens went off to be adopted elsewhere, but 1 kitten was adopted by a neighbour right next to where they had all been hanging out/getting fed before rescue.

So we got mother cat neutered and vaccinated and we kept her in from early December until quite recently because we wanted her to know her home and also to allow her to recover from her ordeal (she was in pretty dirty and worn out scrawny shape when we got her). Anyway, we have been letting her out for a few weeks now and lately she has been going back over to where we found her initially (which is within the same apartment complex but not right next to where we live).

Her adopted kitten has been allowed outside in the past couple of weeks too and yesterday evening I followed her when she went out and she went directly to her kitten and they miaowed at each other and seemed fine with each other (a bit unsure maybe), and after a few minutes she came back to me and then her kitten followed! They havent seen each other in at least 4 and a half months - do you think they remember each other?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'd imagine so. My cat and dog were apart for months, and they knew each other straight away and they're not even related.

More experienced minds on here might know better, but my guess is that your cat and kitten do realise their relationship to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I have seen my puppies recognising their mammy many months later. They do be delighted. Mammy not so much lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

Aw, such a cute story! I'd imagine they recognise each others' scent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

That is so lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Our adult dog used to recognise her mother when she was about 6 years old and she'd get really, really excited about it and start howling!! There'd be a whole super excited dog greeting ritual going on for ages!

Cats definitely remember things too. I think people underestimate them a bit because they're less excitable (usually)

• Advertisement
Advertisement