Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registering a business name

Options
  • 22-04-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

I know there has been lots of threads about this but none answer my question so I'd be glad of some help...
    I am in the process of setting up a business and had picked a name but I've just come across another business with the same name. Can I register my business using the same name but using a "!" At the end?? Is there any reasoning as to why I couldn't? I'm very new to all of this so sorry if that's a silly question!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It depends on whether it is a business name or a company name. A business name has no protection and the same name can be used more than once. If you search on CRO for "The Corner Shop" for example there are 40 or 50 places with that as their registered name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

jimmii wrote: »
    It depends on whether it is a business name or a company name. A business name has no protection and the same name can be used more than once. If you search on CRO for "The Corner Shop" for example there are 40 or 50 places with that as their registered name.

I've just looked again and it is a business name not a company! That's great . Thanks a lot for your reply! I really want this name :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Gee_G wrote: »
    I've just looked again and it is a business name not a company! That's great . Thanks a lot for your reply! I really want this name :):)

No problem good luck with the new business!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Perhaps you should look at registering a Trademark, I read of a business recently who had been officially trading under a name for years and wasn't award of Trademarking.

They got a message that someone else had Trademarked the name in the last 6 months and told them that they need to cease trading under the name immediately.

Advertisement