Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itchy over last few nights (and days) -really irritating

• 22-04-2015 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if correct forum for this, Mods can move if they think there's a more suitable one.

I work shifts and often sleep upstairs in the spare room when I need to get sleep.

I had used this bed regularly over the last few years, no issues.

During the cold snap the other week I brought a heavy blanket out of storage, but that night I got terribly itchy and couldn't settle, as I'm the sort of person to concentrate on an itch.

Anyway, next day I washed that blanket as I thought it might need a freshen up. That night, same problem, only it got worse. So next day I washed all the sheets again.

Next night, again, same problem. It was a constant stream of random little itches all over my body. Face, arms, legs, back, hands etc etc. I kept telling myself to forget about it, go to sleep, but it was bloody hard.

So now I am starting to suspect the mattress. Even during days now in work I have the itches constantly, despite showering every morning. Last night I gave up on the bed after about 20mins of scratching and went to the sofa. As I said, even got the little itches all day in work.

Anyone any ideas?
    Was thinking maybe I am allergic to a shower gel or something?
    Or maybe mattress is contaminated with fleas or something?

Any help appreciate as I am my wits end and thinking of binning mattress now and buying a new one!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Maybe a complete coincidence, but I was very itchy last night. In random points all over, but no rash or spots. Hadnt been out yesterday but I wonder if its a reaction to pollon. It is spring time after all. I went to a pharmacy the last time I had itches like this and they gave me an anti-histamine and the pharmacist recommended changing my pillow case everyday, because he said as you sleep, you blow the pollen into the cover, and keep adding to it everynight. Made certain sense.

I'll change my pillow case tonight and see if things improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Funny I thought about trying anti-histamines but I have never suffered from any pollen allergy before.

I guess I could be starting to develop an allergy?

As I sit here typing I have random itches on the top of my thigh, my hand, back of my neck and on forearm!

When they got bad during the night, I threw back the covers and got my mobile light on the area, as I was convinced I would see some little critter walking around my skin, but nothing. It was that strong a feeling.

Perhaps just starting to lose my mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

NIMAN wrote: »
    Funny I thought about trying anti-histamines but I have never suffered from any pollen allergy before.

I guess I could be starting to develop an allergy?

As I sit here typing I have random itches on the top of my thigh, my hand, back of my neck and on forearm!

When they got bad during the night, I threw back the covers and got my mobile light on the area, as I was convinced I would see some little critter walking around my skin, but nothing. It was that strong a feeling.

Perhaps just starting to lose my mind!

Before you consult a shrink, go into a pharmacy and talk to them. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water as the warm weather starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Are you pregnant? You might have OC and you should mention this to your doc

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a552042/obstetric-cholestasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Are you pregnant? You might have OC and you should mention this to your doc

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a552042/obstetric-cholestasis

If I am medical science will be very interested.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Oops never thought lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Did you ever get to the bottom of this as I'm now in a similar position and trying to narrow down what it's from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not sure if correct forum for this, Mods can move if they think there's a more suitable one.

I work shifts and often sleep upstairs in the spare room when I need to get sleep.

I had used this bed regularly over the last few years, no issues.

During the cold snap the other week I brought a heavy blanket out of storage, but that night I got terribly itchy and couldn't settle, as I'm the sort of person to concentrate on an itch.

Anyway, next day I washed that blanket as I thought it might need a freshen up. That night, same problem, only it got worse. So next day I washed all the sheets again.

Next night, again, same problem. It was a constant stream of random little itches all over my body. Face, arms, legs, back, hands etc etc. I kept telling myself to forget about it, go to sleep, but it was bloody hard.

So now I am starting to suspect the mattress. Even during days now in work I have the itches constantly, despite showering every morning. Last night I gave up on the bed after about 20mins of scratching and went to the sofa. As I said, even got the little itches all day in work.

Anyone any ideas?
    Was thinking maybe I am allergic to a shower gel or something?
    Or maybe mattress is contaminated with fleas or something?

Any help appreciate as I am my wits end and thinking of binning mattress now and buying a new one!

My 2c:

You are either allergic to something in the new bedding you added or it might be Candida. Candida likes heat (warmer bedding) and damp (Irish climate). It is derived from an over-growth of yeast in the body, which makes one itchy, among other things. You need to consider if you have taken any Candida drivers of late - eg anti-biotics and contraseptive stuff - particularly broad spectrum anti-b, carbohydrates (eg lots of wheat, potatoes. sugar, alcohol, etc of late).

It is extremely difficult to get rid of. Anti-fungal tabs - eg Lamasil, fluconazole and similar. (If purchased in police state Ireland, (a country that has some of the worst health outcomes in the world from its so called "health service") these require a script and cost €€€. If purchased in Spain or similar free markets - no big deal and no script). This is not a big issue in cold countries such as Ireland generally. Lots suffer from it in hot, humid areas. You can get Canesten cream in Ireland script free. Try that 1%, it is affordable. 2% is nearly 3X the price. You might want to add cortisone cream 1% to the itchy area with canestan. Do not use cortisone for more than a week or so. If it does not go away ask your doctor. Also Lamisil once (Lamisil Monodose in most of Europe). Tiny 4g tube costs EUR 16 in IRL. Lamasil Monodose tries to prevent the nasty moving from one part of your body to another while sleeping (eg one leg to another). You need to combine cream and drug with low carb diet - if it is a yeast overdose issue that might be causing the itch. Google Candida diet and words that express your problem.

If you take the tablets, there is a hopefully minor risk of disease in your liver etc because the tabs push out a lot of crap into your body systems incl liver. If the itch does not go away quickly, you might need doc and tests. Do not take the tabs forever and a day.

Also think about changing your mattress. Though if you had no problems previously with same, it is unlikely to be the cause.

Advertisement