Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gym in Cork

Options
  • 22-04-2015 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anybody have any suggestions for gyms in south side of city? I live near CIT and looking for somewhere with classes as well! Any suggestions much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

there is a good grabone offer on for the energie gym at mahon point if you want to check out www.grabone.ie/cork/energie-fitness-cork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

id reckon close to home or work. Otherwise you mightnt use it and it could just be a waste of money. Bishopstown's leisure world might suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Luc01 wrote: »
    Hi

Does anybody have any suggestions for gyms in south side of city? I live near CIT and looking for somewhere with classes as well! Any suggestions much appreciated!

Energized fitness in togher near the Barrs. Lotsa class's and a great gym

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I go to (the odd time!) to Fitnessworx near at the Kindale Rd roundabout. It's a "proper" gym in that they have the machinery and lots of weights, but not any of the fancy stuff like a pool or anything. I find it very good anyway.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

Dennehys in ballincollig is pretty good and close to CIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

This crowd are worth a look.

https://www.facebook.com/mybodyworksfitness

• Registered Users Posts: 34,228 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What's Dennehys in Douglas like? Website is OK but not great.

Anybody willing to give a short review on it?

Great spot too go if your looking for a miss's. All the women walking in there do so with a full face of make up and hair done perfectly!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Great spot too go if your looking for a miss's. All the women walking in there do so with a full face of make up and hair done perfectly!

Accurate enough. Everyone seems to be facing each other in there on the machines.

The machines are good. Plenty of lockers and parking. Can't comment on the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Much better than Ballincollig, more equpiment, newer equipment too, theres more space on the gym floor, more room for classes (I've not been to any though).

Only down side for me is the changing rooms are cramped. Theres 2 tiny benches that would sit 4 or 5 people so when you're trying to get changed its a disaster if its busy.

I prefer it to Ballincollig but traffic in Douglas around peak times can be a a nightmare, worth considering, depending on what side of the city youre coming from.

• Advertisement

CZ 453 wrote: »
    The machines are good. Plenty of lockers and parking. Can't comment on the staff.

Plenty of parking for cars. Anything bigger doesn't fit into the car park. Another pet hate of mine.

Plenty of parking for cars. Anything bigger doesn't fit into the car park. Another pet hate of mine.

You should consider trading in the monster truck :pac:

You should consider trading in the monster truck :pac:

It's only a vivaro, plenty of bigger vans around

Cheers for feedback. Need join gym and Douglas not million miles away so its a option although no GF or Wife so that's not good ha.

Cheers for feedback. Need join gym and Douglas not million miles away so its a option although no GF or Wife so that's not good ha.

One last issue, the car park doesnt open until 8am although I'm sure the gym is open from 6am. The only way to access it is a side door and up 2 flights of steps.

So if you do ever plan an early session before work its something to watch out for.

As far as I know, if you join Dennehy's gym, you can use both Douglas and Ballincollig.

Rochestown is a grand gym as well.

As far as I know, if you join Dennehy's gym, you can use both Douglas and Ballincollig.

This is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

There are a lot of kids joined Dennehys, some I know are only 15. Wouldn't want to be surrounded by teens to be honest.

There were a good few in Rochestown until Dennehy's opened. Now they are all gone and the weights are left on the racks where they belong. The reservation of 3 machines/benches by the one person has also stopped. Can't stand rudeness in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Cork Lass wrote: »
    There are a lot of kids joined Dennehys, some I know are only 15. Wouldn't want to be surrounded by teens to be honest.

I did a one day trial in Dennehy's in Douglas last week. The place is indeed full of kids. The changing rooms are tiny, standing room only for most, cueing for the showers which are awful, just a very light sprinkling of water. Treadmills are in MPH (I mean WTF), No access to spinning bikes unless you are doing a class, I always use the spinning bikes in any gym I've been to, in between spinning classes. Wasn't impressed by the layout, it's all over the place. Music audio full of Dennehys sweepers in between songs, which grate on you very quickly. Basically, if you are not 15, it's not the place to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

As a member in the ballincollig gym I've noticed huge neglect in terms of how the gym is being maintained since Douglas opened. The cross trainers are ALL in need of replacement- 3threadmills have 'out of order' signs on them (since January!). Place is filthy aswel most days, women's toilets are disgraceful- 1 out of the 2 of them 'out of order' this week again. Also, noticed the owner moved some of the better weights etc to Douglas- what's he thinking?! My membership is nearly up- won't be renewing! Moving to another gym

koriko wrote: »
    As a member in the ballincollig gym I've noticed huge neglect in terms of how the gym is being maintained since Douglas opened. The cross trainers are ALL in need of replacement- 3threadmills have 'out of order' signs on them (since January!). Place is filthy aswel most days, women's toilets are disgraceful- 1 out of the 2 of them 'out of order' this week again. Also, noticed the owner moved some of the better weights etc to Douglas- what's he thinking?! My membership is nearly up- won't be renewing! Moving to another gym

Did a 12 week personal training program out there this year. The threadmills seemed to be ok but dated. The place had been painted while I was there. The women section was small but clean. The toilets(mens) weren't great and sometimes out of order. The staff were definitely hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

When the one in Douglas opened a lot of people I know we're changing to it because of the price. They are now moving away from it because it's crowded, grotty and the equipment apparently isn't great. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Reading the Gym reviews of Cork Gyms very hit and miss.

You will always have negatives but seems they out way positives in most Gyms from what I read.

Reading the Gym reviews of Cork Gyms very hit and miss.

You will always have negatives but seems they out way positives in most Gyms from what I read.

What is it you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Has the gym in Nemo closed down too?

Has the gym in Nemo closed down too?

Yup after all its customers fled too dennehys I know some now that are going too a gym in turners cross who are disgusted they left Nemo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Yup after all its customers fled too dennehys I know some now that are going too a gym in turners cross who are disgusted they left Nemo

That's a shame. I liked that gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Plenty of us stayed with Nemo. I didn't move. It was a very sad ending a few weeks ago. They are still doing PAYG classes until the end of May but the gym itself closed on the 19th April. I did my one day trial of Dennehy's on the 20th April and that was enough of Dennehy's for me for one lifetime.

• Advertisement

What is it you're looking for?

Thing is I'm not looking for whole lot. Don't mind the teenagers etc but if it bit cramped in changing rooms that ain't good..

Like just good gym with plenty of variety. Does not have to have pool or anything but somewhere you can go and actually not wait or deal with too many dickheads be great.

Advertisement