Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reporting of mod post

Options
  • 22-04-2015 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭

I reported a post made by a mod 2 days ago now in the CT forum. The post was basically a threat from the mod. they were not posting as a mod at the time. the post has now been thanked by the other CT mod. The report has not been actioned. Given that it was about a mod i'm not massively suprised. So where do i go from here? Is it acceptable for a mod to make threats when not posting as a mod? I also PM'd one of the CMODS but they have not replied either. the post in question was http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95157661&postcount=155

I asked the help team and they directed me here.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP since this isn't DRP related.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello.

Generally speaking, when a post is "Reported", all Moderators get to see the post in our private forums, along with the reason why it has been reported. Sometimes, a reported post will not receive any Moderator attention at all. There are a number of reasons why a reported post will not be deleted or edited - the most common reason being that the forum Moderators feel that no action is required.

In your case, the forum Moderator is the person who made the post that you reported. Usually, when a boards.ie user complains about a Moderator, the CMod is the next person you would be asked to contact only if you have tried to resolve the problem directly with the Moderator themselves via PM. You haven't stated whether you tried to contact the Moderator in question, but you do indicate that you sent a PM to a CMod, and have not yet received a reply.

Because this may result in an Admin reviewing things from the ground up, it would be helpful if you could clarify if you have attempted to contact the Moderator directly via PM, with a view to resolving the issue amicably? Also could post the name of the CMod that you contacted, and also when you sent them the PM? The CMods have a lot of work to do on here, and they are also unpaid volunteers, so people are usually asked to wait a few days for a reply before starting a thread on here.
    So where do i go from here?
    Nowhere. Your complaint will be addressed here, as soon as all the information that an Admin would need is here for them to review. That's why our Charter asks posters to give as much information as possible in threads such as this.
    Is it acceptable for a mod to make threats when not posting as a mod?
    My answer to that would be, of course, no. However, it is not my role to decide whether there has been any wrongdoing here, however, I can assure you that Moderators are not treated as untouchable by either their CMods or by the site Administrators. I have personally seen instances of a CMod overruling a Moderator decision on here, and in the absence of a CMod, I have also seen instances of site Admins overruling Moderators too.

All you need to do is let us know whether you tried to resolve this issue directly with the Moderator in question, and also the name of the CMod you contacted, and when. Please allow for the possibility that the CMod may be able to resolve your complaint. If this doesn't happen, or if the CMod tries to resolve your complaint, and you don't agree with their proposed solution, I will flag this thread with our team of Admins, and one of them will take over from that point onwards.

Thanks,

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

1. it would be helpful if you could clarify if you have attempted to contact the Moderator directly via PM

I ddint do this. The post I reported was made by a forum mod (degrassinoel) and thanked by the other forum mod (overheal). I reported the post. that was ignored. at that stage i did not feel that the mods were particularly interested in what i had to say.

2. Also could post the name of the CMod that you contacted

Scofflaw

if you require any other information i would be happy to provide it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Can you provide the time and date you sent the PM to Scofflaw please?

Thanks,

-Shield.

20-04-2015
    14:15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,118 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This thread has been brought to my attention today.

Generally, when a user reports a post from a mod in the forum they mod, the mod in question doesn't get involved; co-mods and cmods get involved.

In this case I received the report and after determining no action was really worth merit, I thanked the post as a courtesy so you would know it wasn't simply ignored. Second, I supported the action: while not all mods post in bold when they are 'moderating', it was still cheeky to ask on-thread if he was posting in that capacity. That could have been something taken to PM, or if you were unsure, the post could have been reported and I would have looked at it all the same.

I don't pick favorites or anything. In the short time I've been at CT so far I've both supported and warned the same posters dependent on the situation and the subject matter. I pay more weight to the content of the post than the name on the side of it.

What really confounds me about your OP here is you are labeling Degrassinoel's post as a "threat." I'm not sure what you are threatened by? The mod did not issue you a warning, they offered you advice eg. "you don't have to keep saying xyz." (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95157587&postcount=153) He didn't threaten you with cards or bans for not agreeing or disagreeing with opinion A B or C. Personally, I don't see what you see here, and maybe a cmod or someone will - but what exactly are you looking for, here?

Mods please close this down. It is clear that you are just covering each others back. I'll keep away from the CT forum.

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

For the record, I had a PM exchange with the OP giving them the opportunity to pursue this matter to CMod review, but they have sustained the request to close the thread.

Thread closed.

-Shield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement