Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Engine for a camper

Options
  • 22-04-2015 4:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8

Hey guys

fairly new to this forum under the new moniker and have never posted about campers before so I apologise in advance if i dont have a clue what im talking about. I am just looking for some advice.

I bought a campervan a few weeks back. A 1982 ford transit mk2. Everything seemed in order. It had a doe and its previous owner seemed to be very trustworthy. I had a friend of mine who knows alot about engines look it over and he gave it the all clear.

After buying it it broke down about an hour into the journey home. I called breakdown assistance and they towed it to my house in dublin. I had my friend have a look over it again, fit a new oil filter and fill it with diesel and it started again. Then a week later it broke down on its next journey to slane . I called breakdown assist again and the mechanic towed it to navan. A few days later i got a call from the garage saying it was a fluke occurance and that the valve in the oil filter had flipped over, that it was running fine and i could collect it. I drove down to collect it last night and sure enough like clockwork an hour into the journey it broke down again. I have towed it back to dublin and am now at a loss of what to do with it.

By all accounts it is fine. But everytime we drive it something else goes wrong. Obviously its an old camper, bought for 3,600. At this point i wouldnt trust it to drive anywhere. I obviously cant sell it would be pretty difficult to sell something that had an owner for one month on the logbook and also would be a rotten thing to do to someone even if it has been done to me.

Does anyone know anyone who specializes in old vehicles like this? I am willing to consider all options. New engine(even a new cab if necessary and not too ridiculously priced). The camper part of the van is perfect. Its the van that needs alot of work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

What engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'm assuming the old nail of 2.5 diesel as the OP mentioned refill with diesel.

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but if its stopping I'm guessing its a fuel issue. As it lasts an hour, I'm thinking of the fuel lift pump/low pressure pump at the tank overheating and stops pumping diesel into the high pressure pump. Thats about the only thing that can go wrong. There is no ignition to worry about and the engine doesn't need electrical power to run once started.

It could also be relays to the pump overheating or poorly routed low pressure fuel lines causing vapour lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I get my doe done in murphy trucks in ballymount ind estate they do services too and seem like a well run place give them a call explain the problem and book it in. If they cant do it thrn they'd recommended somewhere local they told me of one place but i cant remember it. Still worth calling them and asking. From the sound of it i dndon't think it's that major that you neec to fit a new engine hopefully it's a speed bump on the way to happy camping

And don't worry about being new here its a friendly place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

ianobrien wrote: »
    I'm assuming the old nail of 2.5 diesel as the OP mentioned refill with diesel.

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but if its stopping I'm guessing its a fuel issue. As it lasts an hour, I'm thinking of the fuel lift pump/low pressure pump at the tank overheating and stops pumping diesel into the high pressure pump. Thats about the only thing that can go wrong. There is no ignition to worry about and the engine doesn't need electrical power to run once started.

It could also be relays to the pump overheating or poorly routed low pressure fuel lines causing vapour lock.

The DI came in towards the end of the mk2. The fact the bypass in the filter was open I'd suspect oil obstruction or maybe crankcase pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

can you post a pic? might be interested

• Advertisement
Advertisement