Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Planning, DC & AC Costs

• 22-04-2015 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some opinions on costs.

Have paid €2.5k for drawings & planning for 100sq m 2 storey domestic extension.

Costs for Design Certifier and Assigned Certifier are coming in at €3300 plus €1500 for original architect to prepare drawings and construction notes. The original architect (for plans & drawings) does not do AC/DC roles and subs this out to a chartered engineer.

Would these be typical costs for this type of project?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

A 100m2 extension requires almost the same checking as a 300m2 new build. IMO those costs seem reasonable for the liability taken on and time required of the certifer

But The guy who got you planning should have made you aware of the certifer roles and detailed drawing requirements, from the outset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

BryanF wrote: »
    But The guy who got you planning should have made you aware of the certifer roles and detailed drawing requirements, from the outset

This is the bit I have the problem with tbh. I mentioned from the start that I needed everything done from start to finish. I knew that there was additional work involved with the new regs (not that I knew a huge amount amount the regs otherwise) and asked about costs for AC which is when I was told about the subcontracted engineer.

A ball park figure of €1800 was mentioned (tbc with engineer once plans were done) but no mention was made of DC costs or additional architects fees to prep construction drawings.

I do accept now that these are all unavoidable costs and from what I've been told, are fairly typical. I'm just a bit annoyed they weren't mentioned at the start as it's annoying spending money you didn't know you had to. I really just wish the architect had spelled it all out from the beginning. Thanks for the input.

Chiorino wrote: »
    This is the bit I have the problem with tbh. I mentioned from the start that I needed everything done from start to finish. I knew that there was additional work involved with the new regs (not that I knew a huge amount amount the regs otherwise) and asked about costs for AC which is when I was told about the subcontracted engineer.

A ball park figure of €1800 was mentioned (tbc with engineer once plans were done) but no mention was made of DC costs or additional architects fees to prep construction drawings.

I do accept now that these are all unavoidable costs and from what I've been told, are fairly typical. I'm just a bit annoyed they weren't mentioned at the start as it's annoying spending money you didn't know you had to. I really just wish the architect had spelled it all out from the beginning. Thanks for the input.
    I feel your pain. When (month/year) was the initial discussion ? In the arch's defence, many weren't upto date until late last year. And some still aren't..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This situation is what I was getting at in another thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95126420&postcount=492

BryanF wrote: »
    I feel your pain. When (month/year) was the initial discussion ? In the arch's defence, many weren't up to date until late last year. And some still aren't..

The initial discussions were last October.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The initial discussions were last October.

BCAR was in full swing, 6 months, at that stage.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    This situation is what I was getting at in another thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95126420&postcount=492

The cynic in me agrees with what you are saying. Would I still have given this architect the project if I know now what I knew then, possibly, possibly not. If costs and fees are unavoidable, so be it. Not being the professional, I feel I should have been told (or at least given some sort of heads up) what costs would arise and when.

I've already been stung by the ESB for €1800 for a (new) reconnection so I'm getting a bit fed up with these surprises before I've even broken ground (and I'm sure there's more to come).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shaydoc

hi,
    living in midlands. Renovating a 1300 sqft bungalow with ~900 sqft extension. I intend to have the house to a high energy standard (ext insulation, airtight, mechanically ventilated, etc).
    All fairly new to this as never done it before but you know yourself I am involved in friends conversations about building and some friends are in construction trades.
    Engineer company has performed planning drawings. Planning has passed.

Now going to next stage i.e. carrying out Constructions drawings, specifying the construction, coordination with other professionals, and certifying as per Design Certifier. The drawings are going to be used for a tender process also.
    This stage (construction drawings and design certifier) is quoted as 3100+vat.

Same COmpany is offering Assigned Certifier role with following example schedule (inspection schedule, coordinate all certs, building control reporting, 25-30 site inspections, complienace certs).
    THis is quoted as 3900+vat.

Are these costs reasonable

shaydoc wrote: »
    hi,
    living in midlands. Renovating a 1300 sqft bungalow with ~900 sqft extension. I intend to have the house to a high energy standard (ext insulation, airtight, mechanically ventilated, etc).
    All fairly new to this as never done it before but you know yourself I am involved in friends conversations about building and some friends are in construction trades.
    Engineer company has performed planning drawings. Planning has passed.

Now going to next stage i.e. carrying out Constructions drawings, specifying the construction, coordination with other professionals, and certifying as per Design Certifier. The drawings are going to be used for a tender process also.
    This stage (construction drawings and design certifier) is quoted as 3100+vat.

Same COmpany is offering Assigned Certifier role with following example schedule (inspection schedule, coordinate all certs, building control reporting, 25-30 site inspections, complienace certs).
    THis is quoted as 3900+vat.

Are these costs reasonable
    Yes

Advertisement