Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post cycle nutrition Q?

• 22-04-2015 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering about this one.

Although I'll eat a good breakfast or lunch before a long cycle, and and eat & drink along the way I'm finding after maybe three hours cycling upon my return I'm absolutely exhausted for the day and craving food.

Often I find it hard to nap, and in the evening I'm too tired for Judo or MMA training.

So I'm just wondering how some of you guys recover, ie rest, food and nutrition?.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You need to eat on the bike. Once you get into a deficit like that you end up wrecked. Stay ahead of it youll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Nibble as you go. If you get hungry it's too late. Same for fluids. Fig rolls are good to chew on I find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Make sure you're not dehydrated from being on the bike. What are you drinking in your bottles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Craig06 wrote: »
    Make sure you're not dehydrated from being on the bike. What are you drinking in your bottles?

Water.. I don't feel dehydration is a problem tbh, I'm well aware of staying hydrated through the day and as I mention I eat on the cycle too.

But sometimes, after maybe three hours or more I'm exhausted and finding recovery quite slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Water.. I don't feel dehydration is a problem tbh, I'm well aware of staying hydrated through the day and as I mention I eat on the cycle too.

But sometimes, after maybe three hours or more I'm exhausted and finding recovery quite slow.

But that's just the point, you sweat out electrolytes and you're replacing fluids with water. So what you are actually doing is diluting down the electrolytes your body needs to help you recover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Craig06 wrote: »
    But that's just the point, you sweat out electrolytes and you're replacing fluids with water. So what you are actually doing is diluting down the electrolytes your body needs to help you recover.

Ok that makes sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Throw a high 5 tab in one of your water bottles they're great for replacing electrolytes and they add a bit of flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just wondering about this one.

Although I'll eat a good breakfast or lunch before a long cycle, and and eat & drink along the way I'm finding after maybe three hours cycling upon my return I'm absolutely exhausted for the day and craving food.

Often I find it hard to nap, and in the evening I'm too tired for Judo or MMA training.

So I'm just wondering how some of you guys recover, ie rest, food and nutrition?.

Bit more detail?

3 hrs of structured training? A hard 3 hrs or three hrs wandering around? 1500-1800 calories, ballpark?

What is your overall nutrition like? Hitting your micronutrient requirements consistently?

What kinda of shape are you in? Skinny average overweight?

As a species which evolved from the African plains I'd be suprised if dehydration is an issue if your drinking water on a 3 hr cycle in the spring at 50 odd degrees north.

Most of that electrolyte talk is drinks company marketing rehashed.

Constantly needing to eat would suggest an energy system over reliant on accessing a limited blood glucose supply for energy rather than an enormous fat store. Pretty easy to adapt with a sensible diet and specific training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Studies show a carb / protein mix within half an hour of finishing exercise improves recovery

I notice a big improvement if I have something when I get in, I generally have an ovaltine or chocolate milk

High 5 on the cycle is also good, makes a noticeable difference on and afterwards

As is eating an energy bar or something on the cycle, staying ahead of the hunger as suggested above is key

I will often have a bit of an extra meal later, like a supper of a bowl of cereal, and will often eat more the next day also

Fundamentally, you shouldn't be expecting to be able to go to Judo after a long cycle, we have to be reasonable, ironmen type activities are tough for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tim63

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Throw a high 5 tab in one of your water bottles they're great for replacing electrolytes and they add a bit of flavour.

where can you get them over here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tim63 wrote: »

Most cycling shops will have them. Wheel work in Dublin springs to mind but you'll get them most places. If you're doing any sportive or races thus year you'll regularly find samples in your goody bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

tim63 wrote: »

I got some in TK Maxx dundrum at the weekend.

When I'm on a long spin on the bike, I'll have 10g BCAAs, 5g glutamine and an electrolyte tab per 750ml bottle and I'll eat oat based bars and bananas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'd guess you're not pacing yourself right. If you come from a fighting or power sport you may not yet be adapted or possibly even suited to endurance (I know I'm not!).

Trying starting of your next 3 hour spin at a pace that you think would allow you to get up and go again for 3 hours the following day. Even a moderately paced 3 hour spin is a good endurance workout. You'll be tired but not shattered.

Training your balls off at two sports with completely different conditioning requirements is going to lead to ruin! Of course you can do both but one is going to have to be done gently.

I'll eat a good breakfast or lunch before a long cycle, and and eat & drink along the way.
    Also there's probably no other sport where this would be the done thing. If you were shattered tired after a judo competition or a game of football or an hour long run, would you say to yourself "oh i should have had a 3 course meal before, during and after". No, you say to yourself "I did more than I was conditioned to do. I'll go a bit easier next time" or "I'll build up to this gradually".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Do you wear a HR Monitor? Maybe you're cycling with your HR too high for too long. This would make for much longer recovery times

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

As others have said you need to eat and drink before you're hungry and thirsty.

High 5 is great for restoring electrolytes BUT you also need to be consuming carbs and protein both during and after a ride.
    I use this http://www.wiggle.com/high5-energysource-41-with-super-carbs-16kg-tub/ and find it excellent.

Training your balls off at two sports with completely different conditioning requirements is going to lead to ruin! Of course you can do both but one is going to have to be done gently.

Ain't that the truth.

Interesting interview on dehydration

http://therussells.crossfit.com/2014/08/28/dehydration-myths-by-dr-sandra-fowkes-godek/

I'd guess you're not pacing yourself right. If you come from a fighting or power sport you may not yet be adapted or possibly even suited to endurance (I know I'm not!).

Trying starting of your next 3 hour spin at a pace that you think would allow you to get up and go again for 3 hours the following day. Even a moderately paced 3 hour spin is a good endurance workout. You'll be tired but not shattered.

Also there's probably no other sport where this would be the done thing. If you were shattered tired after a judo competition or a game of football or an hour long run, would you say to yourself "oh i should have had a 3 course meal before, during and after". No, you say to yourself "I did more than I was conditioned to do. I'll go a bit easier next time" or "I'll build up to this gradually".

Check out Alex Viada from complete human performance, who at 94kg has elite level numbers in powerlifting while also competing at a high level in triathlons, ironmans and ultra running.

If you are combining two sports, the main thing to avoid is training in the 70-85% intensity range.

You need to do a lot of base work at low intensity and a small bit of high intensity work

Check out Alex Viada from complete human performance, who at 94kg has elite level numbers in powerlifting while also competing at a high level in triathlons, ironmans and ultra running.
    Yes, there are genetic freaks. And then there are the rest of us!
    If you are combining two sports, the main thing to avoid is training in the 70-85% intensity range.

You need to do a lot of base work at low intensity and a small bit of high intensity work
    Agreed.

Yes, there are genetic freaks. And then there are the rest of us.

I agree there are genetic freaks but like, this lad used to be anorexic and weigh 7 stone....

He has a book out now about hybrid training and about how to combine two completely different modalities of training.

I agree that mere mortals like ourselves may never reach the dizzying heights in both sports as he has, but it could lead to much more efficient training with greater levels of performance

Yes, there are genetic freaks. And then there are the rest of us.

Genetics freaks who are full time training AND resting

Add in a 39hr week, commuting, 2 kids etc etc a see how they go

• Advertisement

I agree there are genetic freaks but like, this lad used to be anorexic and weigh 7 stone....
    [–]therealSC2p2 2 points 1 year ago

Can you comment further on when you ran the 4:15 mile and 7:28 1.5? Those are frankly borderline unbelievable times for a person of your build. Did you run them when you were much lighter? Was it on a track? In a competition?

Believe me, I WANT to believe YOU!

parent

[–]AlexViada 4 points 1 year ago

Hello! The 4:15 was... a few months back I believe, the 7:28 a few weeks ago. I generally run a pancake flat trail in this area and log all my runs via GPS. They're not done for competition- though a few folks have mentioned I should give track a shot. Somebody suggested Master's track, which sounds like a nasty age crack.

So he ran a 4:15 mile while out on a trail run. I'm gonna guess that his GPS lost the signal and strava recaluclated a 4:15 mile.

[–]flictonicRunning/Weight Lifting 2 points 1 year ago

Hey Alex, I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere, what's your best marathon time?

[–]AlexViada 5 points 1 year ago

1) I hate the marathon distance, it hurts. 2) Haven't done a pure marathon in, what, 6 years, and it was actually injuries sustained halfway through my last one (along with poor performance) that pushed me to start developing hybrid programming. The best I did then wasn't terribly impressive- around 4 hours. I may do one next year, though I can say I've hit 25 mile training runs in 3:30 or so on faster days. I'd guesstimate I could do around a 3:20 if I had to right now, but I prefer both longer distance and much shorter distance.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedFitness/comments/23of8l/alex_viada_ama/

No way a 3:20 marathon runner can run a 4:15 mile. No f**ing way. he's pretty buff though.

Also.... http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/this-runner-runs-much-faster-than-he-looks?reply=108263123407696320#108263123407696320

Advertisement