Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Hope to see two great test matches this weekend, beside from a lopsided Ashes this has been a enjoyable season of Cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The fact Warner is one of them means the amusement is probably higher than it otherwise would be.

The slagging a bit ott perhaps, but sickening? Nah, that's an overreaction imo.

Edit: although saying that, the radio planks who did the sketch with the UK nurse (who killed herself) have not covered themselves in glory with an attempt at humour again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The fact Warner is one of them means the amusement is probably higher than it otherwise would be.

Indeed, this is not happening in isolation. I think part of the reason the reaction has been so great is that the previous incidents were already generating a lot of media and attention and then this just blew up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭flatty

Jesus the bitterness of some coming out is pathetic.

Yeah DL going has been inevitable really, no idea why they initially had him say he was staying on. With the severity of the bans etc and wider implications in terms of the criticism of the conduct of the team which has been approved by can clean break was inevitable.

Opinions of people who matter or who you could at least respect when they voice an opinion have spoken too which is nice to see. Not everybody lowers themselves to putting the boot into people who are down. Taking a perverse pleasure in mocking lads who are genuinely upset is sickening tbh.
    Nonsense. I take no pleasure in it, but do you honestly think he would be so bitterly upset if he had not been caught. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this was the first time, unless you think they happened to have a bit of sand paper lying around in the dressing room, and the three of them suddenly had a brainwave. Plenty of extremely knowledgeable cricketers, including Australians, have openly opined that this was not the first time that this cheating had been done. I didn't see any tearful press conferences from Smith et al after any previous test. It's the getting caught that has upset them, not the cheating. They were sleeping soundly and celebrating every cheated wicket prior to the astute camera work.
    And bear in mind, every batsman they cheated out was a step closer to being deprived of their primary source of income.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's a fine dividing line as to what constitutes "cheating" in cricket. I can remember a time when batsmen walked if they knew they had edged the ball to the keeper. I know it still happens with some, but most will leave it up to the umpire. Of course in international cricket they tend to have the technology which is usually quite definitive

There are other forms of "cheating" which have quite simple and indeed very "mild" punishments, such as obstructing the field.

I personally think the punishment here was harsh, particularly when you look at other things that do go on in the game. Yes CA wanted to make an example of the 3 of them, and hopefully it's sending a shudder through many players around the World.

On the topic of Lehmann, I would personally welcome him back to Yorkshire. He's another that's learned a lesson here, and hopefully will be the better for it.

I also really hope Smith and Bancroft come back in a year and show us what we're missing. Warner seems to have wound so many people up over the years though that I suspect he's going to become even more of the pantomime villain if he regains his place in the national team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

How come Atherton and the dirt in the pocket incident didnt spark a similar melt down ? Is cricket just still a deeper part of Stralia's soul and sense of self ? Or was it that he toughed it out. And Smiths mistake was coming clean ? Still odd that it was swallowed so easily though, non ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Different era

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

NZ 32-4, vs England 307. Neil Wagner is some dose, every ball is half way down the pitch, 0-69 off 20, didn't pitch up one ball. Must think he's Patrick Patterson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

How come Atherton and the dirt in the pocket incident didnt spark a similar melt down ? Is cricket just still a deeper part of Stralia's soul and sense of self ? Or was it that he toughed it out. And Smiths mistake was coming clean ? Still odd that it was swallowed so easily though, non ?

Previous 24 months (and even before that) of sledging/fighting/trashtalk has put a monster spotlight on the Aussies. Other events in this series (e.g, Rabada) had made it a hugely watched test match. Compulsive viewing even, and then 'that' happened.

The Atherton incident (from memory) was during a more tranquil time in the game. But it actually was a massive story at the time.

The World is massively more "politically correct" nowadays with everyone needing to be more on their guard and people waiting to pounce on the slightest indiscretion. That's what I meant by "different era".

There is little doubt these three have been made examples of, but arguably players should have realised the tide had very much turned, with the Pakistan incident in 2006 arguably representing a watershed in the game, with Aussie Darryl Hair at the centre of controversy due to his stance on the issue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I just don't get the whataboutery defence when it comes to the punishment. It was a struggle to listen to Mark Butcher yesterday on espn cricinfo talking about all the other offences in this series and previous ones and that because it goes on in the game and often unpunished that they should get away with it too.

Classic whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Inconsistency

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Not a bad start to the morning's play for England

2 balls bowled and Broad's on a hat-trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

NZ 140-5 now. Thought (before play) that they would see the day out but less likely now. Last recognised batsmen at the crease (although the tail wagged in the 1st innings) and the vital new ball due in 20 overs. I reckon England will bowl them out whether they get a wicket in the next 20 overs or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

182-6. New ball about to be taken but will bad light thwart England? That's the only thing that can save NZ but it looks increasingly likely that there will be an early end to the match.

Finished 256-8, lower order did very well, deGrandhomme, Sodhi and Wagner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

No surprise but West Indies are getting ripped a new one by Pakistan. Very poor performance by them. Great boost for the home crowd though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Left watching the NZ/Eng game after tea. Barring some utterly stupid shots by Watling, Latham and Taylor, England were pretty innocuous. Looks like the new ball didn't do anything and it was relatively comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

England at 180-9 have been outplayed by a young bowling unit that has put them to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

HonalD wrote: »
    England at 180-9 have been outplayed by a young bowling unit that has put them to shame.

184 all out, lasted just 58 overs. We saw at Malahide how lethal that Pakistan bowling attack could be, they seem to be proving it again here. Abbas looks really exciting, and Hasan Ali.

I'm looking forward to seeing ul-Haq bat again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

So Ireland > England then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

If Pakistan are in a position to enforce a follow on, I wonder will they :D

If Pakistan are in a position to enforce a follow on, I wonder will they :D

Can't enforce a follow on if you bat second, just build a lead. England catch another lucky break. No pun intended, broken arm for Barbar Azam. Pakistan 166 in front

England lost Cook for 1, Mohammed Abbas is some bowler

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Pakistan had a very good preparation for this series, not least the test against Ireland. It's a no brainer for teams touring England to play a test against Ireland too.

England meanwhile are going backwards as a test team. Plenty reasons, but 11 walking wickets is a pretty big one. They have no one interested in or capable of grinding out a long, boring half century.

England 7 for 4 this morning, Sounds familiar :) All out 242, Pakistan need 64 to win

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Easy stuff for Pakistan. Dom Bess looks... young.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Kinda makes you feel less nervous about Ireland maybe embarrassing themselves in the future

0ricoyogqd011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This puts our game nicely into context, we did well, put up a decent challenge, with a better first innings it could have been even closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Countries visiting England should really be looking to Ireland now for a "warm-up" test.

Has to be of a more competitive standard now compared to a 3 day game against a County side
    that won't be fielding a full strength team.

I see Ireland as a big winner from what has happened at Lords this week.

Pakistan were well prepared and ready for action.

Advertisement