Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

From tonight on Freesports - Sky 422, Freesat 252,

Smith started with 10 runs from 10 balls as his team lost their first game, then scored 61 from 41 as his team successfully chased down 228 in their second game.

Warner managed to score 1 from 2 balls before Malinga castled him, although his team won. In his second game, Warner scored an unimpressive 4 from 6 balls

UPDATE: Warner and Smith came up against each other yesterday, Warner's team (Winnipeg) trounced Smith's (Toronto) but the two boyos didn't contribute very much, Warner being run out for 1 and Smith caught for 3 off 10 balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well England and their IPL stars didn't fare THAT much better than Ireland did (at least in the first game) against India, especially the spinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Well England and their IPL stars didn't fare THAT much better than Ireland did (at least in the first game) against India, especially the spinners.
    Ireland conceded 200+ twice, and scored 132 & 70.
    England were undone by the spinner 5-24. Before that they were flying, strange from Hales, 8 off 17 balls. Rahul played a brilliant innings, not one slog, Jason Roy faced 20 balls and slogged over half of them. India will win the world cup in England.

England were undone by one of the Indian bowlers... that's cricket isn't it? I mean it was the same bowler who took 7 across the two Ireland games. Ireland are clearly very bad at T20, my point was that India are clearly very good.

England were undone by one of the Indian bowlers... that's cricket isn't it? I mean it was the same bowler who took 7 across the two Ireland games. Ireland are clearly very bad at T20, my point was that India are clearly very good.
    Sure is, Bangladesh being undone by Kemar Roach now, 34-6

• Advertisement

Didn't get any better for Bangladesh, 43 v 201-2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Didn't get any better for Bangladesh, 43 v 201-2

I thought it was only a 20/20, so it wasn't that big a deal, massive loss instead. And a pity too as I thought Bangladesh were finally settling down as a test team with some good results the last years

I thought it was only a 20/20, so it wasn't that big a deal, massive loss instead. And a pity too as I thought Bangladesh were finally settling down as a test team with some good results the last years

They were doing OK, travelled to the Caribbean, and didn't have much practice. Still a very heavy loss, another test on tomorrow

Well the good news for them now is Roach is being rested, bad news is Mortaza might be injured. They'll pretty much need a win if they're to erase the stink of that last defeat

Good thing maybe that we didn't play any ODIs against Pakistan before the test this summer, they are absolutely hammering Zimbabwe at the moment

• Advertisement

Good thing maybe that we didn't play any ODIs against Pakistan before the test this summer, they are absolutely hammering Zimbabwe at the moment
    Just finishing off Robert Mugabe's work. They had some team 15-20 years ago. The Flower brothers, Neil Johnson, Paul Strange, Heath Streak, Henry Olonga. Think Dave Houghton was retired, but coaching. Probably a few others I left out. That country is ruined, we think we're goosed in Ireland, Zims Rugby team travelled to Tunisia about 3 weeks ago, slept on the street, got no expenses. Cricketers hardly get paid either. 399-1 today for Pakistan, zims 3 down for not a lot the last I looked

Just finishing off Robert Mugabe's work. They had some team 15-20 years ago. The Flower brothers, Neil Johnson, Paul Strange, Heath Streak, Henry Olonga. Think Dave Houghton was retired, but coaching. Probably a few others I left out. That country is ruined, we think we're goosed in Ireland, Zims Rugby team travelled to Tunisia about 3 weeks ago, slept on the street, got no expenses. Cricketers hardly get paid either. 399-1 today for Pakistan, zims 3 down for not a lot the last I looked

I agree with everything you say, but surprisingly they've still managed to keep up a certain, undoubtedly low, level since around 2005, to the point where we've never managed to overtake them. I'm wondering, domestically there must still be enough schools producing decent cricketers, i.e. something outside the control of Zimbabwe Cricket?

I agree with everything you say, but surprisingly they've still managed to keep up a certain, undoubtedly low, level since around 2005, to the point where we've never managed to overtake them. I'm wondering, domestically there must still be enough schools producing decent cricketers, i.e. something outside the control of Zimbabwe Cricket?

I'm not sure, but they do have a first class structure, and a lot of players based overseas. Tatenda Taibu, the keeper and former captain played in the Birmingham league, and was way too good. Soloman Mire is a good bat, he played grade cricket in Australia, but the lack of organization was the cause of the breakup of a promising side. The Zimbabwean side that represents the country wouldn't beat a teams of current players that could be playing for them.

Bangladesh are actually playing well in the ODIs, won the first and lost the second by just 3 runs.. 7 needed off the final over and they could only manage 3, how often does that happen anymore?

Bangladesh are actually playing well in the ODIs, won the first and lost the second by just 3 runs.. 7 needed off the final over and they could only manage 3, how often does that happen anymore?

Strange one to lose OK, remember New Zealand beat Australia by 1 run about 25 years ago, the last over was a maiden. Bangladesh got 301-6, good total, Tamim Iqbal 103. West Indies 76-1 off 15

Strange one to lose OK, remember New Zealand beat Australia by 1 run about 25 years ago, the last over was a maiden. Bangladesh got 301-6, good total, Tamim Iqbal 103. West Indies 76-1 off 15

They got the win in the end, great second last over by Rubel Hussein, only 6 off it. So hammered in the tests, but first away ODI series win for 9 years, I guess they'll be fairly happy overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

A rather enjoyable old-style collapse by England (V India). Following a century partnership, they've just lost Root (80, run out, Bairstow), Bairstow (70) and Buttler (0) in rapid succession.

I watched most of the England - India evening session earlier, a masterclass from Kohli in batting with the tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I watched most of the England - India evening session earlier, a masterclass from Kohli in batting with the tail.

Can't give him lives, England gave him 2.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Very good day's test cricket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It was, think Cooks days might be numbered.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

It was, think Cooks days might be numbered.

Yep, definitely getting closer, two batting failures, plus he also shelled a straightforward catch in the slips.

England have had enough trouble trying to find a partner for him. If he plays himself out of the side they're in even more trouble.

England getting hammered here

Followed by a really great first session today!

England go in to lunch on 86-6, a lead of only 99!

Turnipman wrote: »
    Followed by a really great first session today!

England go in to lunch on 86-6, a lead of only 99!
    Some great bowling and fielding there today. Pity now we have to wait for lunch

Some great bowling and fielding there today. Pity now we have to wait for lunch

Gave the bowlers a much-needed rest!

And immediately after lunch, Buttler fails again!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Focusing on short formats and neglecting test cricket is bad enough but to then play those excellent odi and t20 players in a test match, what did the ECB think was going to happen? Though, by the way they've been carrying on, part of me thinks they wouldn't be too upset to see the end of this format. Games that are over faster than darts seems to be the future they want to head for.

I hate comparing it to football but can you imagine if the team at the top of the premier league, had the top two scorers in the league, and neither were in the England squad? Burns and Pope may not have any international experience but they're averaging 72 & 85 respectively. (Cook is around 34 i think, and Buttler 31 in the CC at present - Root is 16 from 6 innings....) The current system clearly isn't working so why not give them a try. "Oh you couldn't throw them in against India" Who do you throw them in against then ?

England 180 all out - saved by Curran (63) who was dropped twice (?). The Injuns need 194 to win.

41 overs left in the day - it's going to be an epic last session!

• Advertisement

And Malan has just dropped another! :-)

Advertisement