Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Really impressive innings from Curran.

He exemplified the ‘you can have my wicket over my dead body’ attitude that Nasser always bangs on about, but so few English batsmen seem to have at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

India 22 - 2 - someone has given Broad a good kicking and he's on fire!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Those wickets really put England back into it

5 down now with still over 100 left to get, all up to kohli

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It has been a really good test match to watch thus far. Perhaps 4 day tests with pitches more favourable to the bowlers will be the way to rejuvenate interest in test cricket, it makes for a better spectacle than a 5 day run fest. Although it might be difficult to get it right, and not end up preparing a minefield.

I might just fancy Kohli to drag India over the line tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Some game to start the series.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Test cricket, it’s so boring!

And if anything it's getting shorter, I'd love to see cricinfo collect the stats on how many games last 5 days without a rain interruption nowadays compared to other periods

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And if anything it's getting shorter, I'd love to see cricinfo collect the stats on how many games last 5 days without a rain interruption nowadays compared to other periods

4 days with 100 overs compared to 5 days with 90 overs.

The question could be how many test matches go beyond 400 overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭axe2grind

blanch152 wrote: »
    4 days with 100 overs compared to 5 days with 90 overs.

The question could be how many test matches go beyond 400 overs.

And how many days will see 100 overs considering the problem with fitting 90 overs now.

• Advertisement

Glad to see Pope in the squad for the second test. Malan has had a torrid time and had to go. A bit disappointed that Pope is the only extra batsman in the squad though, seeing as Stokes will be unavailable. The whole top and middle order could do with a shake up, Cook has to be under threat as well, and as good as Pope has been he’s a lower middle order batsman. He won’t want to be coming in at 3 or 4 to rescue an early collapse.

The Stokes trial commenced today in Bristol, and the linked video shows him getting stuck in - he seems to be a bit of a knacker, to put it mildly.

Definitely a credit to English cricket!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24318244/ben-stokes-identified-main-aggressor-bristol-fight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Turnipman wrote: »
    The Stokes trial commenced today in Bristol, and the linked video shows him getting stuck in - he seems to be a bit of a knacker, to put it mildly.

Definitely a credit to English cricket!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24318244/ben-stokes-identified-main-aggressor-bristol-fight

Very possibly, but don't forget this is the prosecution's case - the defence will present it differently.

TrueDub wrote: »
    Very possibly, but don't forget this is the prosecution's case - the defence will present it differently.

They can try - but I reckon that they'll find it very difficult to put any kind of credible spin on Stokes's antics as shown in the linked video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭flatty

Turnipman wrote: »
    TrueDub wrote: »

They can try - but I reckon that they'll find it very difficult to put any kind of credible spin on Stokes's antics as shown in the linked video.
    I thought that til there was a cctv snippet on the news last night with one of the other lads running along with an iron bar.
    Tbh, it's a drunken brawl, all were involved. They'd have arrested and tried half of salthill when I was growing up. It wasn't half as bad as I expected.

Phenomenal demonstration of swing bowling from Jimmy today

Conditions couldn’t have been any better for England’s seam attack but you still have to make the most of them and they did just that

Tomorrow is meant to be a better day but more rain forecasted for the southeast of England throughout Sunday.

DkT2FPiX4AAWPqQ.jpg

Jimmy Anderson's bowling average on a steady downward trajectory, at 36. Pretty impressive. You wonder how long he'll keep going for, he'll probably want to hit 600 wickets which would take at least another full year.

Jimmy Anderson's bowling average on a steady downward trajectory, at 36. Pretty impressive. You wonder how long he'll keep going for, he'll probably want to hit 600 wickets which would take at least another full year.

Very impressive right enough.

Can't see him getting many wickets in the England tour of Sri Lanka (3 tests) this winter though! But perhaps he won't travel.

But the West Indies series (3 tests) in the Caribbean next February could well prove a profitable one for him

After that is the one-off test against Ireland at Lords, followed by 5 home tests against The Aussies - so I suspect that Jimmy's plan (barring injury) would be to end his test career by winning the Ashes and immediately being knighted!

Rather mean of Stu Broad to upload this video of him, wasn't it? :Dhttp://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1154525.html

Spanked

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The weather was just perfect the whole game for England. Their bowlers couldn't really have asked for anything more, and the sun shone when they were batting.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

The weather was just perfect the whole game for England. Their bowlers couldn't really have asked for anything more, and the sun shone when they were batting.

England were lucky with the weather (and in fairness, Anderson, Broad and Woakes took full advantage and bowled superbly) but i was very disappointed with India. They just didn't look up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Stokes found Not Guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Stokes found Not Guilty.

Was guilty of acting the idiot though. Stupid thing to do. Grow up boy

Who comes out of the team for him? Buttler?

I think it will be Curran who drops out, as harsh as it may seem

Woakes can’t be dropped on the back of a man of the match performance, and there is no need for five seamers in the side.

Or possibly leave him out of the side a little longer for generally being a bit of a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

How the hell did Stokes get off from the video I seen he clearly throws and connects with numerous punches and had ample opportunity to walk away from the incident.Ridiculous that he's got off but I guess famous people are subject to different laws than the rest of us.

Or possibly leave him out of the side a little longer for generally being a bit of a scumbag.

he is still facing a charge of bringing the game in to disrepute, which could see him banned form playing for a while.
    How the hell did Stokes get off from the video I seen he clearly throws and connects with numerous punches and had ample opportunity to walk away from the incident.Ridiculous that he's got off but I guess famous people are subject to different laws than the rest of us.

there is also an argument that if he wasn't famous, he would never have been in court at all.

There was no charge of assault, just affray, so it doesn't sound to me as if it was completely unprovoked.

I don't quite get it from reading about it.. just affray no assault charge, but then they wanted to introduce it later.. Hales not charged with anything despite lying to police and then footage of him kicking someone in the head was used as evidence in the trial... 2 witnesses not called to testify as 'unreliable'.. bouncer testimony seemingly discounted despite being the only sober person there.. very odd all over

Edit: I found this which is a nice rundown of the legal side of things https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/08/16/the-ben-stokes-trial-what-went-wrong/

• Advertisement

Very enjoyable viewing the action (and there was plenty of it!) from Trent Bridge today (although the hurling was a bit of a distraction!) - it's always good to see the cowboys being ambushed by the Injuns!

One in the eye for Ed Smith and Joe Root for their shameful dropping of Sam Curran for the tattooed ginger Kiwi.

I hope Root gets fined heavily for his disgraceful show of dissent.

Advertisement