Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

BarryD2 wrote: »
    If the ranking system is essentially a measure of how many test matches are played in 'home' conditions, then clearly it's skewed and pretty worthless.

It's not. How are you suggesting it can be improved?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Looking forward to seeing Rashid's ball to take Rahul's wicket a short time ago.

This match has somehow turned quite enthralling - 4 wickets to take, 138 runs off 26 overs to get

And Rashid now takes Pant for 114 - 328/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Beasty wrote: »
    It's not. How are you suggesting it can be improved?

In that case, it's worthless to observe that Ind are the No1 ranked team as it means little in the real world.

Down to 2 wickets now I see. They've done well today and that 200 run stand was good stuff. But badly let down by batsmen higher up the order. Let's hope they can hold out for the draw. It'd be deserved.

And so endeth the summer

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    In that case, it's worthless to observe that Ind are the No1 ranked team as it means little in the real world.

Down to 2 wickets now I see. They've done well today and that 200 run stand was good stuff. But badly let down by batsmen higher up the order. Let's hope they can hold out for the draw. It'd be deserved.

I take it, based on your comments, that you have no understanding of how the rankings are compiled, as you have been unable to make any suggestions for improvement

Some points to note:
    1. test matches carry equal rating whether played at home or away
    2. points are awarded based on the position within the rankings of the opponents. So it's actually more difficult for India to gain/retain points as all opposition are ranked below them. England are ranked 4th, but this series victory will be worth more to them as it was against the top-ranked team
    3. Rankings are compiled over a 3-4 year period. Hence the reason India are top is that they have been the most consistent team over that period

I am sure that England will move up to either 2nd or 1st in the rankings after this series

Now given you have provided no ideas for improvement yourself, I will put one forward for you. I personally think there should be additional weighting given for more recent matches than those that took place 4 years ago. Would it make much difference to the current rankings? Probably not, but the revised rankings reflecting this series will probably show more of a shift away from India towards England

Coming back to this series - it was one of the best examples of a test series you could hope for. It could easily have ended up 3-2 in England's favour iven how close the first test was.

This series benefitted from pitches that produced results, and a spectacular English summer that meant there were no draws. The difference between 4-1 and 3-2 was really not very much. The Indian team played very well or most of the time, but they were up against a team that is playing its best cricket in all forms of the game for some time, on pitches that suited them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭flatty

Rashids ball looked like it had a bit of semtex on the bit where it landed. Remarkable. Must have hit a canyon in the foot mark.

flatty wrote: »
    Rashids ball looked like it had a bit of semtex on the bit where it landed. Remarkable. Must have hit a canyon in the foot mark.

The BBC updates were comparing it to Shane Warne's "ball of the century" (albeit a different century!)

I’m not sure you could want any more from a test. It had excellent bowling, some great innings, plenty of drama, a record and a retiring legend. Both teams played their bit.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, a golden duck for the best batsman in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Absolutely brilliant Test Match series: shove your T20 and (to a lesser extent) ODI up your ar*e! The India players worked their socks off and 4-1 is not a fair reflection of how the series was fought. They bowled absolutely superbly in unfamiliar conditions but depended too much on Kohli to get them runs. Several of the India batsmen had 1 (or possibly 2) good knocks but too often they fell for single figures and that's what cost them the series.

Delighted for Cook in this week's Test. Been out of form for a while but always gave everything for the cause, superb slip catcher as well as batsman. To score 220 in your final match shows what a gigantic hole he will leave in the batting line-up. I would not like to be the man trying to replace him!

I mourn the demise of the 5-day game: how people could prefer 20-over cricket to what we've seen in this series is perverse to me. I understand why it's happening though, I see it in my own children. It's all about instant gratification/excitement now. For example, they will watch MOTD but have no interest in watching a 90-minute soccer match, not even a World Cup final!

Beasty wrote: »
    I take it, based on your comments, that you have no understanding of how the rankings are compiled, as you have been unable to make any suggestions for improvement

Some points to note:
    1. test matches carry equal rating whether played at home or away
    2. points are awarded based on the position within the rankings of the opponents. So it's actually more difficult for India to gain/retain points as all opposition are ranked below them. England are ranked 4th, but this series victory will be worth more to them as it was against the top-ranked team
    3. Rankings are compiled over a 3-4 year period. Hence the reason India are top is that they have been the most consistent team over that period

I am sure that England will move up to either 2nd or 1st in the rankings after this series

Now given you have provided no ideas for improvement yourself, I will put one forward for you. I personally think there should be additional weighting given for more recent matches than those that took place 4 years ago. Would it make much difference to the current rankings? Probably not, but the revised rankings reflecting this series will probably show more of a shift away from India towards England

Coming back to this series - it was one of the best examples of a test series you could hope for. It could easily have ended up 3-2 in England's favour iven how close the first test was.

This series benefitted from pitches that produced results, and a spectacular English summer that meant there were no draws. The difference between 4-1 and 3-2 was really not very much. The Indian team played very well or most of the time, but they were up against a team that is playing its best cricket in all forms of the game for some time, on pitches that suited them

Can't say I particularly care about ranking systems :) I had simply observed earlier up this thread that the Ind top order were disappointing for a team that is considered highly ranked. Someone rejoined that Ind weren't just highly ranked but were No1. Hence this rabbit hole.

But they seem to agree themselves as in this report: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24653489/win-overseas-india-need-not-care-too-much-winning-hom

The thing is though that since most cricket is southern hemisphere with a southern Asia locus, they might be better in terms of rankings anyway, to just concentrate on winning games there and put up with the poor results when they occasionally move out of that general environment. But it does make a bit of a mockery of any ranking system, given the variety of climate and environmental conditions that the game is played under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Now that the series V India is over, the ECB has woken up and is going to have little chat with Stokes and Hales ...... in December!

I assume that it's December 2018, but with the ECB, who can tell? I assume that they'll be let off with a stiff warning and a mickey mouse fine.

Ben Stokes and Alex Hales charged with bringing cricket into disrepute

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Squatter wrote: »
    Now that the series V India is over, the ECB has woken up and is going to have little chat with Stokes and Hales ...... in December!

I assume that it's December 2018, but with the ECB, who can tell? I assume that they'll be let off with a stiff warning and a mickey mouse fine.

Ben Stokes and Alex Hales charged with bringing cricket into disrepute

The ECB shall sentence them to two months in Ceylon for their transgressions.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

I think the test squad is being announced today for Sri Lanka series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Afghanistan thrash Bangladesh in the Asia cup. Remember when Ireland used to beat them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Afghanistan thrash Bangladesh in the Asia cup. Remember when Ireland used to beat them?

Ran Pakistan close as well.

Didn't work out that way yesterday. Tough on them to lose two games by 3 runs and be gone. But sure drives home the point about the diverging standards and fortunes between Irl and Afg.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes, I`m afraid that boat has sailed into the sunset. Only good thing for us is I`m not sure their infrastructure is up to continuing this run. You need a depth to sustain it and we have it, just have`nt got the talent at the min

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They have one of the world's top spinners and he's only 20. You'd have to imagine that'll keep them at least somewhat competitive for the next decade, regardless of what else happens.

• Advertisement

Openers ticking along nicely at the moment..

Openers ticking along nicely at the moment..

Of course no sooner had I pressed post and one goes. Typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Fantastic performance from Australia yesterday in Dubai. Caught the last 10 overs, exciting stuff that Test Match format!

HonalD wrote: »
    Fantastic performance from Australia yesterday in Dubai. Caught the last 10 overs, exciting stuff that Test Match format!

Far better than the shorter formats. Sadly losing its appeal in this age of instant gratification and lack of attention span.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

HonalD wrote: »

Far better than the shorter formats. Sadly losing its appeal in this age of instant gratification and lack of attention span.

To squeeze 5 days full play, plus an extra half hour to try and get a result. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Disappointing news about Jayasuriya. He's been charged with not cooperating with an anti corruption investigation.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/15/sanath-jayasuriya-charged-with-breaching-icc-anti-corruption-code-cricket-sri-lanka?CMP=share_btn_tw

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Disappointing news about Jayasuriya. He's been charged with not cooperating with an anti corruption investigation.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/15/sanath-jayasuriya-charged-with-breaching-icc-anti-corruption-code-cricket-sri-lanka?CMP=share_btn_tw

Thats not good news, international cricket can ill afford that and I always thought he was a gentleman. Clearly there is no smoke without fire here and it reminds me of Hansie Cronje

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IrishRover1

Thats terrible to hear about Jayasuriya, always liked him but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

One of the better run outs you'll ever see for sheer levels of incompetence, as Pakistan seal their biggest ever runs victory against Australia in the 2nd and final test!

• Advertisement

I'll most likely end up with egg on my face as per, but I just got 5/6 with Ladbrokes on Pakistan to win todays t20....Smashed em the other day, might be a case the Aussies are low on confidence after that.

Or as my luck usually goes, Finch will score 134 not out on the way to setting Pakistan 256 to win.

EDIT: Well, Pakistan are batting first, so that won't be the case anyway. A repeat of Wednesday please, Cricket Gods.

Advertisement