Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

There won't be a full days play on Tuesday, West Indies will be over and done in about 50 overs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

There won't be a full days play on Tuesday, West Indies will be over and done in about 50 overs

Showers forecast for Tues as well, I deally England would want at least an hours play out of today. Pitch inspection at 3pm BST, fingers crossed!

Day 4 is now officially a write off, fingers crossed for tomorrow's weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Gillespy

England for the ODI series against Ireland. Morgan, Ali, Bairstow, Banton, Billings, Tom Curran, Dawson, Denly, Mahmood, Rashid, Roy, Topley, Vince, Willey.

No Root, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Plunkett, Archer or Wood from the world cup final team. Still very strong especially with Bairstow and Roy still there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Gillespy wrote: »
    England for the ODI series against Ireland. Morgan, Ali, Bairstow, Banton, Billings, Tom Curran, Dawson, Denly, Mahmood, Rashid, Roy, Topley, Vince, Willey.

No Root, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Plunkett, Archer or Wood from the world cup final team. Still very strong especially with Bairstow and Roy still there.

Imagine it will be

Roy
    Bairstow
    Vince or Denly
    Morgan
    Banton
    Billings
    Ali
    Willey
    Rashid
    Curran
    Mahmood

I wouldn't be arsed with Ali tbh, but seeing as he's VC he'll undoubtedly play.

• Advertisement

Big Moeen Ali fan I have to say. Gives Morgan great control in the middle overs and as dangerous a batsman there is in England.

Billings is the one I have little time for. Why does he keep getting picked? One good innings is all I can remember. Bairstow can keep wicket and pretty sure so can Banton so I would prefer both Vince and Denly in the team than him.

The fifth test has resumed on time, it's the final day of the wisden trophy, the new trophy will be named after an all time great who averaged 62 against England, and an overrated spoofer who averaged 21 v West Indies and 14 i the Caribbean, and padded his average against very weak sides, like the aussies of the early 80s, and India, who would bowl 4 spinners in a test, and routinely concede 500 runs.. But beefy is a hero. His average with the ball, before anyone looks it up was over 35 v West Indies.

Should have called it the Richards Harmison trophy, the big man took 7-12 in Sabrina Park.

Braithwaite out to Broad. 500th test wicket for Stuart Broad, I must be getting old

Hope slogs his wicket away after a couple of great shots, don't know what he was at, probably wanted to reach the target before tea. 71-4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

79/5 now. WI praying for a downpour

99-7 now, nearly all done

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Some catch by Butler to give England the match and series win. Entertaining stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Terrible capitulation by the W.Indies, no fight at all today.

Horrible from West Indies, a hammering

MFPM wrote: »
    Terrible capitulation by the W.Indies, no fight at all today.

Indeed, ironically it's teeming down with rain now, a bit more resistance and they might have lucked into a draw!

Inquitus wrote: »
    Indeed, ironically it's teeming down with rain now, a bit more resistance and they might have lucked into a draw!

It’s absolutely lashing down over there fûck. If that last wicket partnership held for another 25-30 minutes it’s a draw, the match and the series. West Indies will be raging after that. At 3.30 and the volume of rain falling its not unreasonable to say further play would have been unlikely.

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s absolutely lashing down over there fûck. If that last wicket partnership held for another 20 minutes it’s a draw, the match and the series. West Indies will be raging after that. At 3.30 and the volume of rain falling its not unreasonable to say further play would have been unlikely.

That's what makes the capitualtion so poor, any reasonably good partnerships to day and they'd have clung on for a draw. England while not a great side are clearly better than the WI particularly in England so a drawn series would have been a great boost for the WI.

Good win by England. Need to sort out their slow starts to series but credit to them they always bounce back well to defeats. Looking at their team, weaknesses that stand out, spinner maybe? Buttler overall did ok. Archer was disappointing, it's about being effective. Woakes is and so it Curran. Pretty carry to the keeper but little end product.

Holder, as great a cricketer he is, made a hames of another toss. Weary bowlers, third test in three weeks and bowls first and on top of that, plays another spinner. Stokes got stick for the toss decision in the first game but at least that was the positive option to bat first. Disappointed they faded away so fast. Desperately needed more for Hope and Brathwaite. Bowlers deserve credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well the Windies need to be rewarded for coming over now, rather than just the pats on the back, the big boys need to commit to giving a fair % of broadcast rights to touring teams going forward. But will India, England and Australia be willing to do it?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Gillespy wrote: »
    Good win by England. Need to sort out their slow starts to series but credit to them they always bounce back well to defeats. Looking at their team, weaknesses that stand out, spinner maybe? Buttler overall did ok. Archer was disappointing, it's about being effective. Woakes is and so it Curran. Pretty carry to the keeper but little end product.

Holder, as great a cricketer he is, made a hames of another toss. Weary bowlers, third test in three weeks and bowls first and on top of that, plays another spinner. Stokes got stick for the toss decision in the first game but at least that was the positive option to bat first. Disappointed they faded away so fast. Desperately needed more for Hope and Brathwaite. Bowlers deserve credit.

Agreed, I wonder how much of that is down to how little he trusts the batting line up at the moment...Hope's decline in the last couple of years is shocking. Cornwall didn't have much of an impact despite Holder building him up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Horrible from West Indies, a hammering
    Maybe the final result was a hammering, but the match had life in it throughout

As Tom says - WI really need to be thanked, appreciated and rewarded for coming over for this series. Conditions in the "bubble" would be far from ideal, but they made a series of it and there was some good cricket, particularly given the circumstances

Given some of the trials being run in allowing some spectators into county cricket, hopefully we are starting to see a way back for all sports, with cricket being one of those leading the way

Beasty wrote: »
    Maybe the final result was a hammering, but the match had life in it throughout

As Tom says - WI really need to be thanked, appreciated and rewarded for coming over for this series. Conditions in the "bubble" would be far from ideal, but they made a series of it and there was some good cricket, particularly given the circumstances

Given some of the trials being run in allowing some spectators into county cricket, hopefully we are starting to see a way back for all sports, with cricket being one of those leading the way

Agree with that, but I thought they capitulated today, and while they were competitive in the series, some of their cricket was brainless, didn't do as well as they could have. I hope they get home safe and get to see their families soon, its more important than cricket, some nice players in the squad as well, positive signs for the future.

England may have flattered them in the first game. Best of the conditions there, it was an excellent team performance especially Blackwood's 95 chasing in the fourth innings but England had their customary low score letting them in. Bowlers tried hard throughout but where England were able to freshen their attack each game, WI couldn't. Too many batsmen out of form and against a team with matchwinners like Stokes and Broad makes it very difficult.

More fancied sides came to England and lost. WI did the part to make it a pretty good series overall.

Well the Windies need to be rewarded for coming over now, rather than just the pats on the back, the big boys need to commit to giving a fair % of broadcast rights to touring teams going forward. But will India, England and Australia be willing to do it?

What sort of % do they get currently ? As long as the extra would go into the pockets of the players, coaches, Doctor / physios, kitman , the actual people shouldering the added risk, instead of the West Indies Cricket Board coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Strumms wrote: »
    What sort of % do they get currently ? As long as the extra would go into the pockets of the players, coaches, Doctor / physios, kitman , the actual people shouldering the added risk, instead of the West Indies Cricket Board coffers.

AFAIK there isn't a set formula at present but open to correction. The cricketer magazine have said the Windies haven't made a penny from this tour which just seems wrong. I know their board are far from being a good example though.

They discussed a formula years and years ago (think it might have been the Windies board who suggested it) where touring teams got 20% of tv rights, probably too high for the big 3 stomach but I think there's surely room to spread the wealth a little bit more than they do now. And flourishing teams outside the big 3 would surely add to the interest and profit (I'd say only India are immune from waning interest)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Terrible start from Ireland, Stirling giving his wicket away!

MFPM wrote: »
    Terrible start from Ireland, Stirling giving his wicket away!

Aye truly woeful, at the far end of how bad I thought it could go :(

29/5 off 7.5 overs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

KOB to play an inspired innings hopefully

• Advertisement

KOB to play an inspired innings hopefully

At least this pair have stemmed the bleeding!

Advertisement