Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Bangladesh 71/1 Tamim Iqbal 50* keep going Tamim. The first test was a fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

201/5. England fighting back after a brilliant Tamin century.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

lambayire wrote: »
    201/5. England fighting back after a brilliant Tamin century.

220 all out. Some collapse. England 42-2 in reply. This series has been fantastic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

220 could be enough. What a strange day

• Advertisement

220 could be enough. What a strange day

Looked like being plenty until Woakes and Rashid put on 99 for the 9th wicket. England wind up with a lead of 24. England's lower middle order has bailed them out so many times this year.

England 8 down in 2nd innings, still over 100 runs short. Shocking collapse since tea. The place is going nuts.

Great win for them in the end! 10 wickets in a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It would have been a shame if Bangladesh had lost both matches in the series, a good result for them and for Test Cricket in general.

Brilliant from Bangladesh. They are a really improving team. Was a brilliant series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

South Africa without AB go 32/4 on the opening day in Perth, recover to 242.

Australia go to 158/0 in response, Steyn goes off injured shoulder again at 166/1, but they collapse to 244 all out, 86/10 :eek:

Maharaj making a day two Perth pitch look like it's spinning square...without ever actually spinning a ball...

Australia 85 all out against SA just now, they were lucky to get over 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Skid X wrote: »
    Australia 85 all out against SA just now, they were lucky to get over 50.

Aye, horrible morning in Hobart to have to have a bat, they look well behind in this test now, very likely to go 2 down in the series.

England look good in India, should be able to put up an unattainable total quickly in the morning and put the game safe, then have a lash at the Indian batting line-up to see if they can push for an unlikely win, that said it's hard to see anything but a draw coming on Day 5 tomorrow.

Shout out to the young Hameed on debut, looks a real good opening prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Great performance from Morgan today. Excellent knock and very good captaincy in the field.

He is the first England player to score 1500 T20i runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Definitely needed by Morgan. With Root about to take the Test Captaincy, Morgan will be feeling pressure on his own role in the team.

Good tour for him ,especially since he's usually terrible outside England

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Alastair Cook has resigned as England captain

Looks like he'll be looking to play on in the test team, with Root expected to become captain

No surprises at all, and hopefully it will allow Cook to once again flourish as an opener, although his batting didn't seem to suffer that much when he had the additional responsibility of captaincy.

I was a bit surprised to see Cook's average as Skipper was marginally better than before his appointment

As captain 59 Tests Average: 46.53
    In the ranks 81 Tests Average: 46.36

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12173/10723081/alastair-cook-england-captaincy-in-stats

Seems like the right time for a change anyway, it'll be interesting to see how he performs without the Captaincy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He's arguably at the time in his career when he can best capitalise on his experience. IIRC when he started off in the test team he was prolific but also a bit more aggressive in his approach. Perhaps the captaincy took that aggressive streak away as he would battle for the good of the team rather than any personal glory. Hopefully he'll really flourish without the responsibility of the captaincy

I only hope Root does not suffer in a similar way, but he is so talented (as well as a down to earth Yorkshireman;)) I'm hoping he will stand up to the challenge.

I have mixed feelings on it.

I don't think Cook is a particularly good captain. He is ridiculously conservative and can be quite spiteful towards bowlers that were selected but doesn't fancy himself.

However, I do not see what Joe Root has shown that he will be better at captaining a cricket team than Alastair Cook. SSN showed his captaincy history over his lifetime. He has captained a team 17 times in his life. This included local underage level. They even included an under 13s game :pac:

Whilst I don't rate nor like Cook as a captain, are they so convinced that Joe Root will be better at setting fields, choosing bowlers, settings declarations etc?

There is a ridiculous clamour to blame captains after a bad series. The first test in India was Cooks fault and his obsessively negative captaincy but they were beaten up in the rest of the series. Those were not Cooks fault.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Cook gone. He is a wonderful batsman but a horrible person and a negative captain.

• Advertisement

Don't think Michael Vaughan was ever appointed captain of Yorkshire;)

Joe Root confirmed as England Test Captain, Ben Stoke is new Vice Captain.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/332540

IPL auction, Ben Stokes goes for loads of money, nice reward for chucking away the world t20 final

Spectacular day of cricket in Pune. Compelling viewing.

The BCCI and groundsman played a bit of stinker, in trying to make the wicket a bit too spin friendly. Australia were extremely lucky to hit the score they did today with dropped catches and Ashwin and Jadeja missing the bat a couple of times per over.

The game could be over tomorrow. There is no batting to be had on that tarck

Also the Pakistan Cricket League is on Geo TV Uk, Sky Channel 807.

Spectacular day of cricket in Pune. Compelling viewing.

The BCCI and groundsman played a bit of stinker, in trying to make the wicket a bit too spin friendly. Australia were extremely lucky to hit the score they did today with dropped catches and Ashwin and Jadeja missing the bat a couple of times per over.

The game could be over tomorrow. There is no batting to be had on that tarck

Yeah over already. The Aussies managed to put up another 250+ score though

Another good knock from Eoin Morgan.

It's not easy watching an ODI in Antigua when the rain is lashing against the window. Still, there won't be any queues in Waitrose this weekend, all the pensioners are in the Sir Viv Richards stadium.

England are getting a bit of pasting today. 124/6 chasing 226. Still doable but unlikely.

Australia and India was spectacular again this morning. I wouldn't fancy batting last if I were Australia. They need to put up a decent score from the tail. Looking like they will go up 2-0 at this stage

So England turned it around and won the ODI with an excellent partnership from Root and Woakes.

And India are now probably favourites in the Test match after Pujara knocked 70 not out.

Paddy Power won't be giving me a job any time soon.

• Advertisement

So England turned it around and won the ODI with an excellent partnership from Root and Woakes.

And India are now probably favourites in the Test match after Pujara knocked 70 not out.

Paddy Power won't be giving me a job any time soon.

never write off India as long as they have Ashwin :)

Advertisement