Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,414 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When two of your front line five bowlers are really in international terms part time all rounders and a third Mark Wood isn’t international class... it’s a struggle, brain dead selection. In 29 Tests (yes he’s that experienced) he has a measley 51 wickets...so it’s all on basically Anderson... who looks like despite bowling well that he might be about to retire in the immediate... Ollie Robinson looks like a good intelligent bowler... but one for the future... English bowling attack need upgrading and updating.

Only two results likely, a India win or a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Wood doesn't have the lateral movement needed in England. Batsmen enjoy the extra pace on slow pitches. He has had some great days away and would be useful in Australia I think.

Not convinced by Overton either. Mahmood was the one to play today.

Stokes missing isn't helping, he was needed today to break the big partnership. Woakes as well of course. He loves bowling at Lord's.

Nope, with Wood it’s predictable, workmanlike, little variation, two short balls and four towards the stumps, every over... he’s not super fast either.

west indies vs Pakistan, LIVE...

a seriously entertaining start

Pakistan 190/7 on day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye only the rain can save this England team in this test you would think, even at this early stage!

• Advertisement

Wood is fast. 90mph plus qualifies as fast. He was always as fast if not faster than Archer when they both played together.

Olly Stone is another good option missing. I would like to see the two Essex bowlers Cook and Porter get a game. Reward for taking loads of wickets and winning championships.

Well West Indies having done well to bowl SA out for 217, finish their own batting innings at 2/2 after 4 overs....they’ll be kicking themselves but makes for a really interesting test, a result be guaranteed unless weather intervenes which unfortunately looking at the forecast for Kingston is very likely over the rest of the test.

delighted to say the weather forecast in London for the remainder of the test has improved somewhat overnight and it looks the weather will be good enough to facilitate a result now... only the odd shower now expected over the remaining four days, plenty of clear skies and dry weather.

Rahane and Pujara are walking wickets this series so far. India have long tail so a lot depends on the two in now. Wood could clean up fast when they can get into them.

India 346/7 at lunch on day two. They had been 276/3 at the close.

It will be a competitive score but they’d have taken 430+ for granted almost last night... now 380/390 will be an ask.

England will be hopeful of wrapping this up quickly after lunch. They won’t be perturbed too greatly if India do get up towards 380. There is time left in the game, weather set good / fair now for the most part so it will be interesting and intriguing and downright entertaining.

• Advertisement

Two balls two chances, Buttler drops a catch of what is shown on the replay to be a medium difficulty chance, he makes the ground well with a dive, the ball seemed to go into the center of the glove and pop out and then a run out chance from about 10 meters away although there was only one stump to aim at to be fair.

India all done for 364. A lot less than they would have wanted starting this morning.

England are screwed without Anderson. Another five wickets and so miserly too. 73 wickets to catch Shane Warne. Long shot maybe but wouldn't put it past him to get beyond him.

England are 39/2 after 23 overs. About a run rate of 1.69 runs an over. To be fair it’s like watching paint dry. India are bowling well though so it’s not just a conservative outlook on their behalf...but you’d like to see more of a risk and reward front foot mindset...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I had turned it off with England around 20/0 and came back shortly afterwards to find them 2 down and Joe Root at the crease with Rory Burns. I thought to myself exactly what is the point of Zak Crawley... seems he's been dropped and his replacement lasted one ball. England's batting aside from Root is a complete mess, Ben Stokes is a big miss for them this series.

England's day even if they're still a long way behind. Root a class apart again. Sibley regressing getting out to what was his strength and best scoring option. Hameed unlucky first ball.

Siraj is a hell of a bowler but needs to work on his temper. Unnecessary all the time now.

Siraj is talented but in terms of performance and results he’s not done it... he takes prior to this test about one wicket every 10 overs in test match cricket... he should really keep his attitude in check until he bucks his own game up..

He played a good part in the Australia win and has done well here. I think he's quality. Figures are from a small sample still. That temper in fast bowlers isn't anything new. Rabada currently has it and it has cost him a few times. Robinson seems to have it too.

West Indies at one point had looked set for quite a healthy lead in their first innings response to The Pakistani 217 all out but are now struggling a bit at 223-7... two newish batsmen at the crease and runs are hard to come by, the Pakistani bowlers giving no width and there is some inconsistency in the movement off the pitch..this could end up any result yet, intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭blackcard

I love watching Root whether it be test matches or ODI's. Keeps the score ticking over and the next thing you realize he has got a 50 without taking many chances. A lot will depend on him. India have to be favourites though. The future of England when Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad depart is problematical

Root is doing that again this morning. Playing busy, positive yet low risk cricket. Both he and Bairstow keeping the score ticking along nicely if not a fast run rate it’s efficient, turning over the strike, busy play.

England as i type, 3 wickets down and 182 runs adrift of the India 1st innings total... I’d say the goal from here at the moment would be to cancel out the India total lead and just see what lead they can build themselves.... if England can knock off another 80/90 runs without loosing a wicket they’ll be confident of a nice lead.

a very nicely poised interesting scenario here, bookies and winviz showing virtually nothing between them.

• Advertisement

My head is being absolutely melted watching this by whatever fûckin gimpoid goon be it Rahul or whoever from behind the stumps just keeps repeatedly shouting ‘easy easy easy’ after attacking, defensive or any other shot is played... bizarre...

England now 314-5... they should from here be of the ability to establish a lead... Root now with his 5th century this calendar year. Going well now... looks pretty untroubled out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Root single handedly makes England Test scores look respectable virtually every test. Fear for England otherwise.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

If Root gets injured they’d struggle... a big scorer gone, Jos Butler I think is vice captain. Hmmmm

England hoping I’d say to get to a lead of 60 by stumps...

Looks like now England would be grateful for a lead of 16 never mind 60. 358/8... tail is not wagging thus far, two wickets left... India will be delighted, looking like at one point a deficit of 80-100 could have faced them but they’ve taken a couple of very timely wickets.

If I'm Root I’m bringing out the attacking shots...not hanging back with only Wood really who can bat although his test average is 17.8. He has shots and power.

What a farcical end that was with so many no balls. Bumrah seemed to save his max effort for Anderson. Where was that agression all day, he went wicketless. Jimmy was never going to back away. Pity he was done last ball after another no ball.

Root superb. Buttler still hasn't cracked test cricket has he.

Did that Bumrah over to Anderson look more about trying to injure him than get him out? Wood and Robinson didn't get it. Bowling that many big no balls only gave him more short balls to bowl at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Wicket keeper is Pant who can be very chirpy. Rahul back up keeper who is pretty quiet I think.

India probably should have made the game safe 1st innings but with Pujara and Rahane out of form and lower order hopeless their 1st innings score while decent gave England a sniff and credit where its due now England in control.

India desperately need Rahane and Pujara to figure it out or they lose this series.

The Pakistan vs West Indies match is very finely poised..

Pakistan 217 & 160/5

WI 253

Pakistan lead by 124 in their second innings and 5 wickets down with WI to bat again.

West Indies can skittle the Pakistani side for about 220/230 that would be a target of about 200 for the West Indies...only if my 1.30am maths is correct...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Eng v India really poised now. Scores level but India are effectively 0/2 at the moment. Kohli needs to step up here, England favourite at the moment.

• Advertisement

Kohli is where Root was last week. Third innings with his team in big trouble.

Anderson is a machine. Eight over spell only went for 8 runs. Wood very good too. Turned into a great decision to bring him on so early. Robinson only got two overs.

Advertisement